Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,669 members, 7,955,439 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:49 AM

Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ (2528 Views)

Meet The Koma Tribe That Doesn't Wear Clothes / See The Nigerian Tribe Where Women Don’t Wear Clothes For The Fear Of Death [PIC / See The Moment Yoruba King Oluwo Wore Igbo Outfit & Sat On His Throne(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by Emilokoiyawon: 5:45pm On Aug 07, 2020
TAO11:
Hmmm! Let see what firsthand reports say:

“There are some curious statements about the requirements of royal permission before the people are allowed to wear clothing. Thus D. R. tells us : “Maidens and boys all go perfectly nude* until they marry or are otherwise disposed of, or that the king grants them license to put on some ornament or dress; then they become very cheerful and rejoice very much at the friendship and benevolence of the king which he has shown and proved to them; they then ornament and bedeck their bodies to the utmost, paint and daub themselves with white earth or colour, and hold a great festival; they sit in their houses in great splendour and magnificence, and many people then come to them and congratulate them as if they were a bride." So too, according to Dapper, “No man is allowed to wear any dress at all at court before he has been clothed by the king; nor let his hair grow before this has been done. There are men at the King's court, TWENTY and TWENTY-FOUR YEARS OLD, who, without any semblance of shame go about naked, only wearing a chain of corals or jasper round their necks. But when the King gives them clothes, he usually presents them at the same time with a wife, thus making them from boys to men. After this time they always wear clothes and let their hair grow without being obliged to shave it off with a knife anymore. Likewise, the WOMEN are not allowed to wear clothes, unless they have been provided with them by their husbands. So you can see there, WOMEN of TWENTY and TWENTY-FIVE YEARS going along the streets perfectly nude without showing any shame."Reference: H.Ling Roth, “Great Benin, Its Customs, Art and Horrors”, F. King & Sons Ltd., (1903), p.24.I can’t believe these guys were still a bunch of d!ck swinging and b00bs swinging Baba.rians even up until as recent as the year 1903! Wow! :oSee my following comment for a comparison of the foregoing account with a contrasting account by Richard Lander from Yorubaland in the year 1826.

Leave them. We gave them Omo N'Oba to civilized them. They will never understand cheesy grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by TAO11(f): 6:00pm On Aug 07, 2020
Emilokoiyawon:
Leave them. We gave them Omo N'Oba to civilized them. They will never understand cheesy grin grin
They’re are a bunch of unappreciative bar.ba.rians. That’s why I’m drilling their skulls with facts. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by davidnazee: 8:08pm On Aug 08, 2020
TAO11:
Consider the following description of an interesting scene of some Yoruba girls near Oyo-Ile in January 1826. Lander wrote:

“At noon we descended into a delightful valley, situated in the bottom of a ridge of rocks, which effectually hid it from observation till one approached almost close to it. It was intersected with shimmering streams and purling rills, the elegant palm, and the broad leaved banana, covered with foliage, embellishing the sheltered and beautifully romantic spot. In the center was a sheet of water, resembling an artificial pond, in which were numbers of young maidens from the neighboring town of Tschow, some of them reposing at full length on its verdant banks, and some frisking and basking in the sunbeams, whilst others of their companions were sporting with the Naiads [sic] of the sacred stream; but all of them were visibly delighted with the pleasant recreations which they were enjoying so prettily and innocently. We stood for a season gazing on them with pleasure; but no sooner were our white faces observed by the young ladies, than their amusements instantly ceased, and the sable beauties simultaneously rushing from the water, snatched up their apparel, and with their uncovered associates, concealing their faces with their hands, ran away and hid themselves behind the trunk of trees, looking as coy and bashful as did their mother Eve in the Garden of Eden.”

Reference: Richard Lander’s account quoted in Drewal et al.: Yoruba: Nine Centuries of African Art and Thought, 1.

cc: 900winer, Emilokoiyawon, Keraxes.

This scene only described the Europeans peeping on naked Yoruba girls bathing.. I don't see anything else here..
If you are suggesting beauty, Edo ladies are far more beautiful than Yoruba ladies..

1 Like

Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by TAO12: 12:29pm On Aug 10, 2020
davidnazee:
This scene only described the Europeans peeping on naked Yoruba girls bathing.. I don't see anything else here.
Oh sorry. What a pity! I understand that you would need more than one brain-cell to “see anything else here”. cheesy So, I would break it down to you as usual. grin grin

Now compare the reactions of the following two groups of people — how each of them was reported to have reacted to being seen na.ked:

(1) A bunch of uncivilized Edo women who are used to roaming the streets stark nak.ed because they consider cloths to be the luxurious possession of the affluent and the older folks:

“... So you can see there, WOMEN of TWENTY and TWENTY-FIVE YEARS going along the streets perfectly nude without showing any shame."

Reference: H.Ling Roth, “Great Benin, Its Customs, Art and Horrors”, F. King & Sons Ltd., (1903), p.24.
(2) A group of civilized regular Yoruba girls who are naturally ashamed of being seen nak.ed because they are used to clothing, as it is a normal part Yoruba life:

“... We stood for a season gazing on them with pleasure; but no sooner were our white faces observed by the young ladies, than their amusements instantly ceased, and the sable beauties simultaneously rushing from the water, snatched up their apparel, and with their uncovered associates, concealing their faces with their hands, ran away and hid themselves behind the trunk of trees, looking as coy and bashful as did their mother Eve in the Garden of Eden.”

Reference: Richard Lander’s 1826 account quoted in Drewal et al.: Yoruba: Nine Centuries of African Art and Thought, 1.
A Very Important Note: The above account regarding the (20/25 years old) Edo women relates to as recent as the year 1903.

While on the other hand, the account of R. Lander regarding the Yoruba girls was from the year 1826.
If you are suggesting beauty, Edo ladies are far more beautiful than Yoruba ladies.
On what basis, joker? cheesy A standardized objective basis such as beauty pageant suggests otherwise though. Lol. cheesy

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by BabaRamota1980: 3:17pm On Aug 10, 2020
gregyboy:
This post is to make benin history easily accessible, cc:gomojam
DonCandido
Amujale
macof
Sewgon79
lx3as
Opiletool
nisai
2fine2fast
Aphrygian
Olu317
Obalufon
geosegun
Samuk
Prolog
AreaFada2
Sarah20A
Valirex
Ghostwon
Davidnazee
Samuk

Gregyboy, you like to confuse yourself and your goons. The authors you source to bring evidence of cloth weaving in Benin are the same one who variously say Benin is a foreign culture and its origin is Ife. If they are wrong in their testimony about origin of Benin, how could their words on cloth weaving have any credibility now? Fix yourself and clear your mind. If these past history is too much for you to handle then stop jumping from pole to pillar to embarass yourself.

I have brought pictures here many times to show to you clearly that in past there is separation between Bini and Edo cultures. Edo are the slave stock to the ruling elites from Ife. Edo was an uncivilized forest people and your civilization started under igodomigodo and continued under Benin. Dont you see historians in the 1500s never mentioned Edo, always talk about Bini? Because in that age you were non entity, a stock of slave. Gradually that changed. You knew this. Hence as soon as your people started getting education they began interchanging Edo for Benin in literatures. Now its all muddled up. Historians of the 1600s, 1700s knew difference and could tell who was Bini and who was not. Those with garment were Benin, no Edo slave was permitted clothings. Edo has never had a weaving civilization. There were many crafts you did not know and had to be taught to you by artisans brought from Ife.
Dude, tidy up and stop the self-confusion.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by BabaRamota1980: 3:22pm On Aug 10, 2020
davidnazee:

This scene only described the Europeans peeping on naked Yoruba girls bathing.. I don't see anything else here..
If you are suggesting beauty, Edo ladies are far more beautiful than Yoruba ladies..

Dude, you are throwing stuffs on the wall to see if it will pass. Open thread with that subject as topic so you can flog your women with your own hand.

1 Like

Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by BabaRamota1980: 3:43pm On Aug 10, 2020
gregyboy:

When you read something like that post it for easy accessibility for many who are doing research and also post the link too, dont just read and go, for those people who are doing research would make things easier for them
The last time i debated TAO11 on benin sewing clothes i lost because i didn't have articles to back it up,

Edo has no clothing or weaving civilization. There is nothing in history of Edo that said you were a clothed people. In contrast there are historical accounts of Edo being a nayked slave stock.
Benin came from a foreign civilization that had garment arts in different forms and styles.

Have you ever wondered why historians prior to 1850 never mentioned Edo when describing nobility of Benin?

In many narratives and accounts historians will distinguish between two societies and say the Benins and the natives or the Benins and indigenes. Is Benin non-native? Is Benin non-indigene?

1 Like

Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by BabaRamota1980: 3:45pm On Aug 10, 2020
TAO good job!

The term Benin did not exist before Oranmiyan from Ife. Ife people came with Benin clothing and civilized Edo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by valirex: 3:31pm On Aug 12, 2020
Very through I came across something like this too. Some of the reasons why the Portuguese revered Benin Kingdom
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by davidnazee: 1:27pm On Aug 15, 2020
TAO12:
Oh sorry. What a pity! I understand that you would need more than one brain-cell to “see anything else here”. cheesy So, I would break it down to you as usual. grin grin

Now compare the reactions of the following two groups of people — how each of them was reported to have reacted to being seen na.ked:

(1) A bunch of uncivilized Edo women who are used to roaming the streets stark nak.ed because they consider cloths to be the luxurious possession of the affluent and the older folks:

“... So you can see there, WOMEN of TWENTY and TWENTY-FIVE YEARS going along the streets perfectly nude without showing any shame."

Reference: H.Ling Roth, “Great Benin, Its Customs, Art and Horrors”, F. King & Sons Ltd., (1903), p.24.
(2) A group of civilized regular Yoruba girls who are naturally ashamed of being seen nak.ed because they are used to clothing, as it is a normal part Yoruba life:

“... We stood for a season gazing on them with pleasure; but no sooner were our white faces observed by the young ladies, than their amusements instantly ceased, and the sable beauties simultaneously rushing from the water, snatched up their apparel, and with their uncovered associates, concealing their faces with their hands, ran away and hid themselves behind the trunk of trees, looking as coy and bashful as did their mother Eve in the Garden of Eden.”

Reference: Richard Lander’s 1826 account quoted in Drewal et al.: Yoruba: Nine Centuries of African Art and Thought, 1.
A Very Important Note: The above account regarding the (20/25 years old) Edo women relates to as recent as the year 1903.

While on the other hand, the account of R. Lander regarding the Yoruba girls was from the year 1826.
On what basis, joker? cheesy A standardized objective basis such as beauty pageant suggests otherwise though. Lol. cheesy

Well it has been ascertain that you are dumb and mischievious..
The book written in 1903 doesn't describe a scene from 1903. and the author never visited Benin, just as Lander (1826) never visited Benin.
Lander's book described peeping at naked Yoruba girls (who he and his group have most likely raped).. and the dumb Yoruba girls (just like you are dumb) covered their faces still leaving their unclothedness for the europeans to see..

FYI.. Edo women are more beautiful than Yoruba women.
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by davidnazee: 1:41pm On Aug 15, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

Edo has no clothing or weaving civilization. There is nothing in history of Edo that said you were a clothed people. In contrast there are historical accounts of Edo being a nayked slave stock.
Benin came from a foreign civilization that had garment arts in different forms and styles.

Have you ever wondered why historians prior to 1850 never mentioned Edo when describing nobility of Benin?

In many narratives and accounts historians will distinguish between two societies and say the Benins and the natives or the Benins and indigenes. Is Benin non-native? Is Benin non-indigene?

You Yorubas are really small minded.. the litte nonsense you guys use as talking points shows how frustrated and defeated you are.
Historians have mentioned since beginning of time that Benin Kingdom and Edo people grew out of the forests regions and became the greatest, conquered and ruled the Yorubas for hundreds of years..
or in your words, the nobility of Benin led the Edo people to conquer and rule the Yorubas (including your lineage) for hundred of years.
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by TAO11(f): 1:51pm On Aug 15, 2020
davidnazee:

The book written in 1903 doesn't describe a scene from 1903. and the author never visited Benin, just as Lander (1826) never visited Benin.
Lander's book described peeping at naked Yoruba girls (who he and his group have most likely raped).. and the dumb Yoruba girls (just like you are dumb) covered their faces still leaving their unclothedness for the europeans to see..

grin grin grin See tears and sorrow everywhere.

H. L. Roth’s book is based chiefly on his brother’s notes of 1897. His brother F. Norman was a medical officer on the Benin punitive expedition of 1897.

Now, our dumb-dumb Edo friend is telling us that between 1897 and 1903 (6 years) his Edo fore-parents miraculously started covering their yansh and b00bs. grin

Also, Lander was describing Yorubaland in 1826, not Benin. Nobody said he was describing Benin. Stop being a fraud.

The Edo women aren’t used to clothing as we have already seen. They therefore can’t possibly be ashamed of been seen naked. cheesy

The Yoruba girls, on the other hand, were clearly said to have rushed to grab their apparel, and those who weren’t able to do so, rushed (covering their faces) to hide themselves away behind tree trunks grin

Rape?? shocked Is that how the minds of Edo animals — sorry: Edo people — process information?? I think I now know where the Italy thingy is coming from. grin

Moreover, Yoruba girls are more beautiful than Edos. Unlike you, I at least have an objective basis for my claim.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by Keraxes: 1:55pm On Aug 15, 2020
davidnazee:

Which Edo women?

1 Like

Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by BabaRamota1980: 3:23pm On Aug 15, 2020
davidnazee:

You Yorubas are really small minded.. the litte nonsense you guys use as talking points shows how frustrated and defeated you are.
Historians have mentioned since beginning of time that Benin Kingdom and Edo people grew out of the forests regions and became the greatest, conquered and ruled the Yorubas for hundreds of years..
or in your words, the nobility of Benin led the Edo people to conquer and rule the Yorubas (including your lineage) for hundred of years.

Ode. No historian ever mentioned Edo. They spoke of Benin. Benin tradition said you went to Ife to beg for Yoruba prince to rule igodomigodo.

Edo has no relevance in history beside naykedness. I need to go back in archive and splash your ancestors again.

1 Like

Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by Edeyoung: 9:14am On Aug 17, 2020
TAO11:
They’re are a bunch of unappreciative bar.ba.rians. That’s why I’m drilling their skulls with facts. grin

You make me laugh am still not yet chanced to read your book but surely i will, and i will find flop to it,
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by TAO11(f): 8:43pm On Aug 18, 2020
Edeyoung:

You make me laugh am still not yet chanced to read your book but surely i will, and i will find flop to it,
@gregyboy (aka @Edeyoung) your loud ignorance and insecurity is what makes me flog you always. cheesy
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by gregyboy(m): 10:01pm On Aug 18, 2020
TAO11:
@gregyboy (aka @Edeyoung) your loud ignorance and insecurity is what makes me flog you always. cheesy

Your inability to interprete information before your eyes is why am always ahead of you why you hurry to paste and quote jargons from various authors i help you inteprete what the author had meant, in his statement,

While i send you back to oblivion for more research

You're smart, because you're vast on both history you're arguing on, the issue is am a thinker,
I pounder on things,

Go back and research tao111

The thing is you know the truth youre just playing a mind egostic game, against your gullibles not me
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by TAO11(f): 10:14pm On Aug 18, 2020
gregyboy:
[s]Your inability to interprete information before your eyes is why am always ahead of you why you hurry to paste and quote jargons from various authors i help you inteprete what the author had meant, in his statement,

While i send you back to oblivion for more research

You're smart, because you're vast on both history you're arguing on, the issue is am a thinker,
I pounder on things,

Go back and research tao111

The thing is you know the truth youre just playing a mind egostic game, against your gullibles not me[/s]
Little naked slave, please stop bothering me with your incoherent junks.

You have been cancelled since last year as the most ignorant but most emotional of my Edo slaves.

You Edos got yourselves to this point of disgrace because you all won’t stop lying.

If you all had stopped lying earlier, I wouldn’t have exposed Edo history this badly, and the Igbos wouldn’t have gotten to know of your animal livelihood.

Now, before I open my eyes alele go and play with sand. grin
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by gregyboy(m): 10:19pm On Aug 18, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

Ode. No historian ever mentioned Edo. They spoke of Benin. Benin tradition said you went to Ife to beg for Yoruba prince to rule igodomigodo.

Edo has no relevance in history beside naykedness. I need to go back in archive and splash your ancestors again.

The mythical benin tradition that told a false history associating it history to ife after 1914....

In 1820, an ethnographers visited benin in told d origin of d benin dynasty without the attachment of ife,

Stop including our king as a Yoruba kings lets tell history without myth and on valid research points

The oba of benin ancestry is fully blooded benin
Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by TAO11(f): 10:22pm On Aug 18, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

Please read while also paying attention to the dates shown in my comment found here in order to expose the above false chronology of this fraudulent Edo boy.

1 Like

Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by BabaRamota1980: 12:30am On Aug 19, 2020
gregyboy:

The mythical benin tradition that told a false history associating it history to ife after 1914....

In 1820, an ethnographers visited benin in told d origin of d benin dynasty without the attachment of ife,

Stop including our king as a Yoruba kings lets tell history without myth and on valid research points

The oba of benin ancestry is fully blooded benin
No one says Oba of Benin is a quarter or half Benin. We know he is full Benin. We also know he is not Edo.

1 Like

Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by Nobody: 6:12am On Aug 19, 2020
TAO11:
Little naked slave, please stop bothering me with your incoherent junks.

You have been cancelled since last year as the most ignorant but most emotional of my Edo slaves.

You Edos got yourselves to this point of disgrace because you all won’t stop lying.

If you all had stopped lying earlier, I wouldn’t have exposed Edo history this badly, and the Igbos wouldn’t have gotten to know of your animal livelihood.

Now, before I open my eyes alele go and play with sand. grin
Chai! I shame for my Edo Brother, Gregyboy.

1 Like

Re: Benin Wore Clothes, And Also Sewed Their Own Clothes And Sold Them To The Europ by jayaim: 11:14pm On Aug 23, 2020
Impressive, after this white men will come & brain wash people that Africans are not civilized. That's why dead prezz attacks them in thier rap songs

(1) (2) (Reply)

A New Olofa Of Offa Has Being Announced. / Live Photos Of Biggest Cultural Festival On The Plateau -NZEM BEROM 2016 / Oba Olateru Olagbegi’s Died With Five Of His Wives Still Virgins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.