Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:29 PM

Pls What Is Your Advice To A Guy That Wants To Study Nursing - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Pls What Is Your Advice To A Guy That Wants To Study Nursing (1213 Views)

English Gurus Pls What Is The Answer To This ?? / Which University Can I Use This JAMB Score To Study Nursing Science? / Can I Study Nursing Science With D7 In Physics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls What Is Your Advice To A Guy That Wants To Study Nursing by NewJ6322: 11:34am On Jul 30, 2020
Goodday I applied for a state University medicine and surgery and they recently made to the public that they won't be admitting students into medicine and besides i love obstetrics which has been my driving force to study medicine now am thinking for opting for nursing but due to reply from so many people I feel nursing is inferior for a guy and besides if I decide to specialize in maternal health while reading nursing it will be midwifery thereby limiting my scope of practice the most painful part is that someone said on Facebook that nursing is the surface area of medicine that nurses don't know up to 50percent of what the doctors know that there job is just care nothing more pls I need ur advice
Re: Pls What Is Your Advice To A Guy That Wants To Study Nursing by Emary(f): 12:16pm On Jul 30, 2020
Nursing is a very respectable career for anyone. It can be very lucrative especially if you travel to the US where some of them earn around $100k a year. Even in Nigeria, they are entitled to their own registered facilities and can treat minor conditions and conduct ante-natal and deliveries.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pls What Is Your Advice To A Guy That Wants To Study Nursing by Karlifate: 6:04pm On Jul 30, 2020
If you love Nursing, go for it.
D best advice na the one wey u give ursef... Nobody go believe in u if u no believe in ursef.
Re: Pls What Is Your Advice To A Guy That Wants To Study Nursing by Jamesarua: 6:17pm On Jul 30, 2020
it will be hard to get a job as a guy,,,because people do feel female are more caring than male,,,,,

why not go for similar profession

1 Like

Re: Pls What Is Your Advice To A Guy That Wants To Study Nursing by samuelpeters(m): 7:11pm On Jul 30, 2020
Nursing is a very Nice profession even as a guy.
Hope you wouldn't regret your choice Later in Life when you start working with Doctors. Because it seems Nursing is not your thing.so you don't kill patient out of anger or frustration grin

Please Ignore anyone that says you are at Disadvantage because you are Male. Though Nigerians have this bias for Males going into Nursing.
Most of them are not in the Health Field and would Never know When a Male Nurse treated them because they would think he was a Doctor.

I have Male Nurse as Friends both in School and in the profession.

About Nursing being the Surface of Medicine is just Laughable.
Every Medical field is Unique. Nobody knows it all.

I don't even want to talk about how Lucrative the profession is.
The aim is to Make the patient better!

We also have other Medical courses to choose from...
Medicine, Dentistry,MLS, Nursing, Pharmacy, Physiotherapy and Radiography.

Make your choice.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pls What Is Your Advice To A Guy That Wants To Study Nursing by samuelpeters(m): 7:11pm On Jul 30, 2020
Jamesarua:
it will be hard to get a job as a guy,,,because people do feel female are more caring than male,,,,,

What you said is not true.
Re: Pls What Is Your Advice To A Guy That Wants To Study Nursing by offset67(m): 9:53pm On Jul 30, 2020
A male nurse

1 Like

Re: Pls What Is Your Advice To A Guy That Wants To Study Nursing by Dayoebe(m): 12:03am On Jul 31, 2020
since Your simple choice will define your entire life, the best person who can give the best advice you need is YOU.

Yes YOU. Your choice should be your passion, your dream and your motivation.

No course is obsolete.
I know a Billionaire who study forestry in university. You will excel in any field you choose
Re: Pls What Is Your Advice To A Guy That Wants To Study Nursing by Nobody: 5:25am On Jul 31, 2020
NewJ6322:
Goodday I applied for a state University medicine and surgery and they recently made to the public that they won't be admitting students into medicine and besides i love obstetrics which has been my driving force to study medicine now am thinking for opting for nursing but due to reply from so many people I feel nursing is inferior for a guy and besides if I decide to specialize in maternal health while reading nursing it will be midwifery thereby limiting my scope of practice the most painful part is that someone said on Facebook that nursing is the surface area of medicine that nurses don't know up to 50percent of what the doctors know that there job is just care nothing more pls I need ur advice
First:
NURSING is Very Good.

Mind you, After studying that, you must endeavour to leave Nigeria.
You will be better appreciated in Diaspora.

Secondly:
You really need to improve on your vocabulary.
I say this because it was difficult for me to comprehend the message you tried to pass across.
And I guess the Lecturers that will be assessing you academically will do that In English.
Fixing that will facilitate your Academic excellence.
After all, your JOB as a student is to study and nothing more.

Thirdly:
While studying, ensure you download LANGUAGE APPs that will tutor you on different International Languages like Spanish.
Speaking another major foreign Language will be an added advantage in case you find yourself in Diaspora.

Do this and thank me 7 years Later

3 Likes

Re: Pls What Is Your Advice To A Guy That Wants To Study Nursing by Zendinho(m): 9:30am On Jul 31, 2020
Ma guy, my guy....

A male nurse... cheesy cheesy

If you know..... you know grin grin
Re: Pls What Is Your Advice To A Guy That Wants To Study Nursing by Jamesarua: 2:46pm On Jul 31, 2020
samuelpeters:
What you said is not true.
well,,,,i haven't seen a male nurse before
Re: Pls What Is Your Advice To A Guy That Wants To Study Nursing by samuelpeters(m): 4:21pm On Jul 31, 2020
Jamesarua:

well,,,,i haven't seen a male nurse before
Most of you mistake them for Doctors.
If you are in the health field you will understand.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pls What Is Your Advice To A Guy That Wants To Study Nursing by Haustyne(m): 7:11pm On Jul 31, 2020
NewJ6322:
What happened to Jamb change of institution form? Pls change school, it is not compulsory to study in AAU. Nursing is very nice career even for males but pls dont do it. You dont even like the course cos you feel it is inferior to medicine. That inferiority complex will always be there for you, especially when you start working.
Re: Pls What Is Your Advice To A Guy That Wants To Study Nursing by zinaunreal(m): 6:09am On Aug 01, 2020
Your can further your education and become a doctor of nursing also read up nursing practitioner and thank me later
Re: Pls What Is Your Advice To A Guy That Wants To Study Nursing by sageb: 10:11am On Aug 01, 2020
Nursing is okay but if you believe your passion is in something else then try another thing.
Re: Pls What Is Your Advice To A Guy That Wants To Study Nursing by Theyoungmatron: 2:11pm On Aug 01, 2020
Kindly note that Nursing in Nigeria is not what is obtainable in other countries. The profession is at its abyssmal low in Nigeria even though it has been trying in recent time. In Mozambique, South Sudan and other countries, nurse/midwives are undertaking complex procedures and some obstetric surgeries. If your goals is to stay back in this "ghost town" choose other profession, if not, you are in a very lucrative profession outside Nigeria spheres.

Meanwhile, Nursing is a distinct PROFESSION LIKE MEDICINE AND PHARMACY.
It is neither medicine nor pharmacy, rather each knows a fraction of what is obtainable in the other profession to be able to work effectively. If nurses should know more than 50% of what is in medicine then there is no need to have a doctor, is there?

If your interest is in obstetrics, you can proceed to maternal and child health nursing at graduate level.

1 Like

Re: Pls What Is Your Advice To A Guy That Wants To Study Nursing by Matheusmartin: 3:27pm On Aug 01, 2020
Jamesarua:

..where do u get this from
Re: Pls What Is Your Advice To A Guy That Wants To Study Nursing by ForestHill: 6:52pm On Aug 01, 2020
Jamesarua:

Shut off please
Re: Pls What Is Your Advice To A Guy That Wants To Study Nursing by zinaunreal(m): 10:17pm On Aug 01, 2020
Jamesarua:

What a junk grin see the trash you just spilt
Re: Pls What Is Your Advice To A Guy That Wants To Study Nursing by Nobody: 11:36pm On Aug 01, 2020
Follow your heart and do not care what people think. Also hustle for money also no just go school go read. Don't choose a course to study because of money or job employment.

(1) (Reply)

Biochemistry Or Medicine! / Latest On ASUU / Money Ritual: Mystery And Secret

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.