Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,523 members, 7,819,882 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:51 AM

My Potato Farm - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Potato Farm (2316 Views)

I Want To Start A Potato Farm, How Profitable Is It? / My Uncle Potato Farm / Setting Up Your Potato Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Potato Farm by mcdokwe(m): 7:54am On Jul 31, 2020
Even though I have always loved planting, the covid-19 break gave me the ample opportunity to do it in a bigger way.

I know I may not be in touch with technicalities involved, but if this goes well, like I hope it does, I would create time every year to farm more crops if God keeps me.

Do you have farm input advice you'd gladly give?

This is on a two plots of land in Umuahia, Abia state.

Thanks

3 Likes

Re: My Potato Farm by mcdokwe(m): 1:53pm On Sep 02, 2020
Our early harvest

1 Like

Re: My Potato Farm by Akinola100: 2:05pm On Sep 02, 2020
God bless you.
It seems there is high demand for potatoes in Nigeria
Re: My Potato Farm by mcdokwe(m): 4:53pm On Sep 02, 2020
Akinola100:
God bless you.
It seems there is high demand for potatoes in Nigeria

Thanks and you too, even though I'm not interested in the market.
Re: My Potato Farm by ferhyntorlah(f): 4:56pm On Sep 02, 2020
mcdokwe:

Well done sir.

I like this variety of sweet potato.

Did you cultivate it for personal consumption?
Re: My Potato Farm by mcdokwe(m): 5:03pm On Sep 02, 2020
ferhyntorlah:

Well done sir.

I like this variety of sweet potato.

Did you cultivate it for personal consumption?

yes ma, I did. Selling was never part of the plan. I may only sell if they get rotten easily, otherwise I may have to keep it for consumption.
Re: My Potato Farm by ferhyntorlah(f): 5:10pm On Sep 02, 2020
mcdokwe:

yes ma, I did. Selling was never part of the plan. I may only sell if they get rotten easily, otherwise I may have to keep it for consumption.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww.
That's so sweet of you.
Subsistence farming is the way to go.
You can add tomato and pepper join, lol.
Re: My Potato Farm by mcdokwe(m): 7:22pm On Sep 02, 2020
ferhyntorlah:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww.
That's so sweet of you.
Subsistence farming is the way to go.
You can add tomato and pepper join, lol.

Sure something, I already nursed some.

I get plenty time these days, thanks to this Agric section. Seeing plenty things I can try here dey give me joy
Re: My Potato Farm by Akinola100: 12:35pm On Sep 03, 2020
mcdokwe:

But lucrative, tuber crops is quite expensive. God bless your hustle

1 Like

Re: My Potato Farm by Abelsonjames590(m): 1:48pm On Sep 03, 2020
This is very good my dear,please keep it up.

1 Like

Re: My Potato Farm by Christistruth00: 6:08pm On Sep 03, 2020
mcdokwe:
Even though I have always loved planting, the covid-19 break gave me the ample opportunity to do it in a bigger way.

I know I may not be in touch with technicalities involved, but if this goes well, like I hope it does, I would create time every year to farm more crops if God keeps me.

Do you have farm input advice you'd gladly give?

This is on a two plots of land in Umuahia, Abia state.

Thanks

How long did it take you to plant all this ? Get a Petrol powered bush cutter and expand the farm. Sweet Potato has more potential than how you are taking it and it does well even if planted on flat ground. It is a very resilient and good Economic crop and it will also feed your family well.

There is the video of a Commercial Sweet Potato farmer from Senegal he Cultivates 20 hectares and is doing very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJkLaPUz_MI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjasNdqqaBY

.A petrol powered bush Cutter will cost about N32,000 but will help you cultivate more land for the sweet potato fast and sweet potato grows year round in Nigeria. Just use cuttings from your current plants.

It is a very good step you have taken. Sweet potato cultivation is very rewarding and it is one of the healthiest plants to eat both leaves and tubers.

1 Like

Re: My Potato Farm by GeneralKoko(m): 6:51pm On Sep 03, 2020
Is land still available in abia state ??
If yes how much can I get a cheap land
Re: My Potato Farm by mcdokwe(m): 11:51pm On Sep 03, 2020
Christistruth00:

How long did it take you to plant all this ? Get a Petrol powered bush cutter and expand the farm. Sweet Potato has more potential than how you are taking it and it does well even if planted on flat ground. It is a very resilient and good Economic crop and it will also feed your family well.

There is the video of a Commercial Sweet Potato farmer from Senegal he Cultivates 20 hectares and is doing very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJkLaPUz_MI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjasNdqqaBY

.A petrol powered bush Cutter will cost about N32,000 but will help you cultivate more land for the sweet potato fast and sweet potato grows year round in Nigeria. Just use cuttings from your current plants.

It is a very good step you have taken. Sweet potato cultivation is very rewarding and it is one of the healthiest plants to eat both leaves and tubers.
cultivation lasted less than a week, but my lazy ass planted for close to a month.

I had thought of farm machineries but can't afford any for now. Thanks

1 Like

Re: My Potato Farm by mcdokwe(m): 11:54pm On Sep 03, 2020
GeneralKoko:
Is land still available in abia state ??
If yes how much can I get a cheap land

I don't know o, but in my community, I'm sure land for cultivation won't be a problem if you want to lease but can't say much about purchase.
Re: My Potato Farm by Nobody: 1:25am On Sep 04, 2020
how long did it take to mature, cus I also have a potato farm
Re: My Potato Farm by GeneralKoko(m): 4:49pm On Sep 04, 2020
mcdokwe:

I don't know o, but in my community, I'm sure land for cultivation won't became problem if you want to lease but can't say much about purchase.

Okay I'd like some for lease
Hoe much do they charge??
Re: My Potato Farm by mcdokwe(m): 5:22pm On Sep 04, 2020
GeneralKoko:

Okay I'd like some for lease
Hoe much do they charge??

I just asked my village chairman and he said you or your representative will have to be present at the community gathering for deliberations.

Note that my community hosts the ULONNA NORTH FARM SETTLEMENT established by Michael Okpara.
Re: My Potato Farm by mcdokwe(m): 5:25pm On Sep 04, 2020
ekerensima:
how long did it take to mature, cus I also have a potato farm
I planted mostly in June and have not really started harvesting.
Re: My Potato Farm by Nobody: 2:15pm On Sep 06, 2020
mcdokwe:
I planted mostly in June and have not really started harvesting.

mine should be around July
Re: My Potato Farm by mcdokwe(m): 3:42pm On Sep 06, 2020
ekerensima:

mine should be around July
Harvest is best after four months for it to attain full maturity.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Poultry Farmers Please I Need Your Help (pictures Attached) / 135 White Turkey For Sale In Abeokuta As Low As #14,000/#15,000 (Pictures) / Financial Investors Needed For My Proposed Garri Factory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.