Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,938 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:36 PM

Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! (9346 Views)

You Have 7 Days To Bring Out Buhari’s Certificate – Group Tells Defence Minister / US VP Biden Calls Jonathan, Says He's A Strong Example To Africa / Please Let"s Help Bring This Topic To The Notice Of All Nigerians!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by OAM4J: 7:08am On Feb 17, 2011
now 6950. I don try.
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by loma(m): 7:47am On Feb 17, 2011
Thanks. It's not against the rules. It's the number of unique email addresses that count
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by Jarus(m): 12:50pm On Feb 17, 2011
I don vote. Now 7070
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by mukina2: 1:03pm On Feb 17, 2011
voted.
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by babaogun(m): 1:04pm On Feb 17, 2011
voted now!
Please share on your social network, most useful for now is FaceBook.
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by Bawss1(m): 1:10pm On Feb 17, 2011
Voted. 7120. Roger that.
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by justwise(m): 1:26pm On Feb 17, 2011
Voted, 7140
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by lazinc(m): 1:37pm On Feb 17, 2011
Voted! 7160!!
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by sheriffman(m): 1:48pm On Feb 17, 2011
7180 done
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by tlops(m): 1:50pm On Feb 17, 2011
Voted!
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by cold(m): 1:51pm On Feb 17, 2011
Why is this thread only 3 pages long?If it's a tribalism thread i'm pretty sure we'd be in the double digits by now
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by tlops(m): 1:51pm On Feb 17, 2011
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by loma(m): 1:52pm On Feb 17, 2011
Guys , thanks for your votes. We are now at 7180 but have fallen to 16th position.

Help us get to top 10. Let's get to 12000 votes today. Vote and post the number here once you have voted.
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by loma(m): 1:55pm On Feb 17, 2011
- Log on to http://www.dellsocialinnovationcompetition.com/ideaView?id=08780000000Dcx4AAC

- Click "Register Now" in the top right pane (this is in blue font below the login box).
- Choose a username and supply your email address. An email indicating your password will be sent to you as an email.

- Go back to the website and log in with your chosen username and the password mailed to you.

- On the top right corner of the website, search for ‘LAA Agora" and click on Go.

- Just beside the title-Libraries Across Africa- Empowerment through Access, click Vote (a north pointing arrow).

- Click the big blue F at the top to post to your Facebook (if you wish)
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by sheriffman(m): 2:03pm On Feb 17, 2011
can we do multiple voting
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by lazinc(m): 2:06pm On Feb 17, 2011
sheriffman:

can we do multiple voting

Yes you can only with different email address.
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by sheriffman(m): 2:08pm On Feb 17, 2011
Am on it guys right away
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by loma(m): 3:05pm On Feb 17, 2011
7240 votes, lets go! View and Vote!
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by manny4life(m): 3:10pm On Feb 17, 2011
I voted +7250

love this innovation, which people like this are here to move africa forward.
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by loma(m): 3:23pm On Feb 17, 2011
Also spread through your networks and get your friends to vote. We need lots more votes!
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by dayokanu(m): 3:52pm On Feb 17, 2011
cold:

Why is this thread only 3 pages long?If it's a tribalism thread i'm pretty sure we'd be in the double digits by now

Abi ooo. Na so our people be.
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by EFCC1(m): 4:51pm On Feb 17, 2011
just voted

Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by skalamanga: 4:56pm On Feb 17, 2011
just voted! 7480, are yu sure we will get there@ this rate?
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by manny4life(m): 5:04pm On Feb 17, 2011
Thought I share an idea I had; does anyone share same ?

It's an RFID Research project integrated with biometric applications that I worked on in 2007 for 9 months and dropped it because I did not find any use to it. Now I'm inspired by what I see, does anyone have ideas about the same field?
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by EFCC1(m): 5:08pm On Feb 17, 2011
skalamanga:

just voted! 7480, are yu sure we will get there@ this rate?

i'm not sure u voted
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by manny4life(m): 5:13pm On Feb 17, 2011
Here is a suggestion; mass emailing depending on how many people on your contact list.

I just sent everyone on my contact list (at work and personal email), a mass email.

SPREAD THE WORD AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Search Results : agoraIdea Search Results
  Libraries Across Africa- Empowerment through Access
Submitted By  afropreneur,  Feb 10, 2011  |   |  SaveUnsave  |  Report Abuse Abuse Report Received Report Item As:
--None--Offensive Miscategorized Spam False Information Other
Comments (100 characters or less):

Thu Feb 10 16:33:35 GMT 2011
Team Name : Libraries Across Africa
University : Rice University

Problem

The World Bank believes that one of the greatest problems facing Africa is the severe lack of adequate access to educational, health, and social empowerment information for the majority of Africans. This situation severely restricts and hampers community self-development and is further exacerbated by the yearly decline in global book production as more content and information moves online.
Unless efforts are made to provide the necessary information in education, entrepreneurship, and social development, there will not be sustainable development in Africa.

Vision

http://www.vimeo.com/16103789
Our vision is one of empowerment through access. We aim to empower individuals and communities across Africa by delivering digitally-enhanced multi-use library facilities throughout Africa. Our vision is a modern application of the proven and phenomenally successful ‘Carnegie Formula’ for community development. 

Like Carnegie, LAA envisions that libraries are not merely a repository for books, but they are also a catalyst for community development and empowerment. By providing cost effective infrastructure and information solutions, communities will be empowered to address their own unique economic, educational, social, technological, and business challenges.

We believe that the ability to resolve your own challenges is the foundation of empowerment, and that empowerment is a combination of education and entrepreneurship. Fundamentally, we support the concept that education contributes to poverty reduction and community transformation; and it is entrepreneurship which is the optimum expression of this change.

The Solution

We plan to significantly advance the developmental capabilities of African communities by providing innovative, easily deployable enhanced Library solutions in African communities.
Each library is a streamlined facility for people to participate in both education and entrepreneurship in Africa.

LAA’s libraries are designed to serve both producers and consumers of education and entrepreneurship content.   Rather than simply deliver computers or Internet access, LAA provides a three component solution to the access and information divide.

and then highlight the instructions for them

Log on to http://www.dellsocialinnovationcompetition.com/ideaView?id=08780000000Dcx4AAC

- Click "Register Now" in the top right pane (this is in blue font below the login box).
- Choose a username and supply your email address. An email indicating your password will be sent to you as an email.

- Go back to the website and log in with your chosen username and the password mailed to you.

- On the top right corner of the website, search for ‘LAA Agora" and click on Go.

- Just beside the title-Libraries Across Africa- Empowerment through Access, click Vote (a north pointing arrow).

- Click the big blue F at the top to post to your Facebook (if you wish)

Please, no one should attack me I just feel inspired.
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by loma(m): 6:07pm On Feb 17, 2011
Thanks to all for their support. It's not over until it's over.

Contnue to spread the message and get people to vote.
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by loma(m): 6:21pm On Feb 17, 2011
We are currently in 16th position, but if only 500 more people voted for us, we would be assured of top 10.

Most of the teams in the top 10 only got there in the last 24 hours, and you will notice they mostly have an Indo-Pakistani affiliation; so their people are taking it serious and voting!
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by Michaeli: 6:59pm On Feb 17, 2011
Really good idea,I work on e-learning solutions myself. I'll contact you through your website.
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by loma(m): 7:06pm On Feb 17, 2011
Michaeli:

Really good idea,I work on e-learning solutions myself. I'll contact you through your website.

Thanks for the support- you can email idris@librariesacrossafrica.org

Keep on spreading the word, we need all the votes we can get
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by Kilode1: 7:17pm On Feb 17, 2011
If you've ever read a post on NL and wondered; "has this poster ever read a book before in their life?" Vote !

If some NL replies make you appreciate the benefits of proper reading comprehension, Vote!

If you've ever been denied the chance to vote by political thugs in your village, revenge here by voting! (hopefully they will find a book and quit thuggery)

If you think your local Naija politician needs to learn how to reason effectively, vote so we can get books to your village before una produce another Blank!

If you believe knowledge empowers, Vote!

Finally, if you think I need to get a life and quit trolling a decent thread, please vote and help me get smarter, we no get library for my village!
Re: Help bring Digital Libraries to Africa! by loma(m): 7:23pm On Feb 17, 2011
Just imagine if every university student could get acces to the latest journal on a reseach topic, if every entrepreneur could look up ways to improve his invention, the possibilities are boundles,

In addition to a strong belief in education, LAA believes in the power of entrepreneurship. A common denominator of African societies is a strong commitment to the survival power of the human spirit. We understand that people are entrepreneurial and are willing to do what they can to meet their communities needs if given the opportunity.

This is our vision of empowerment through access.

This is the opportunity for you to help us achieve our vision!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

IGP Commends Police Performance In Rivers Rerun Elections / Taraba Assembly passes bill against open grazing / Jonathan Removes National Security Adviser Sarki Mukhtar With Immediate Effect.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.