Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,527 members, 7,823,288 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:08 AM

This Small Boy Does Not Know His History - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / This Small Boy Does Not Know His History (481 Views)

54 Incredible Facts That You Might Not Know About Nigeria / See An Illiterate Professor unilag who does not know his country name / Top Nigerian Official Does Not Know His Ministry Website Address (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

This Small Boy Does Not Know His History by Obiagu1(m): 2:49am On Feb 11, 2011
Contrary to insinuations that Sierra Leone paraded Nigerian-born players against Eagles on Wednesday at the Teslim Balogun Staduim in an international friendly match, Daily Sunsports can authoritatively report that the players in question have no roots in Nigeria.

In an interview with Obi Metzeger, they vehemently refused to be linked with Nigeria insisting that they are from Sierra Leone.

Obi said in his native dialet the name Obi which translates to king for male and hinted that it is a common name in his community.
When this reporter reminded him that the translation of his name also means the same thing in the Igbo-speaking part of Nigeria, he waved it off, saying it must be a co-incidence. “ I was born a Sierra Leonian and I have no other country”, he started. “My parents are still alive and they have not said otherwise.

“No one has told me that we migrated from Nigeria and I won’t accept that even if I am told.
“The name Obi is a common name in my tribe. I am from an ethnic group in the capital Freetown.
“It means King and I suspect that my parents want me to be a king that was why they named me Obi.
“It is interesting to hear that an ethnic group in Nigeria bears the same name and it means the same thing for them just as my people and I will like to visit the people somedays in my life.

“But the issue of me being a Nigerian is out of it. I’m a free born of Freetown, he remarked.

(1) (Reply)

Knowall: Dangote Made Billions From Yoruba People Pocket And Pay Cheque / Again, Spain Deports 60 Nigerians - Making 145 From Europe In 3 Days. / I Think The Nigerian Government Should Meet Corruption Half Way.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.