Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,732 members, 7,817,014 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: God’s Word Is The Evidence - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: God’s Word Is The Evidence (3034 Views)

Picture Of Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In 1997 (At A Camp Meeting) / Atheists Are More "Moral" Than Christians/muslims (the Evidence). Do You Accept? / The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: God’s Word Is The Evidence by Joagbaje(m): 8:47am On Feb 11, 2011
John 14:16-17
And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you

I once asked someone, “Have you received the Holy Spirit?” “Well, I did at one time” he replied. “What do you mean you did at one time?” I asked him. Then, he said, “Some years ago, I used to speak in tongues but now I don’t speak in tongues anymore, so I don’t think I have the Holy Spirit anymore.” I’m aware that many people believe the principle evidence of receiving the Holy Spirit is speaking in tongues.” So when someone says, “I’ve received the Holy Spirit,” they ask, “Do you speak in tongues?” To them, anyone who doesn’t speak in tongues is yet to receive the Holy Spirit, but this isn’t what the Bible teaches.

Some even prove their point by citing the examples of people in the Scriptures who received the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues immediately. But there’re also those who received the Holy Spirit in the Bible, and we’re not told that they spoke in other tongues immediately the Holy Spirit came upon them. For instance, the Bible doesn’t tell us that Paul spoke in other tongues as soon as Ananias laid hands on him to receive the Holy Spirit. All that is recorded is that the Holy Ghost came upon him (Acts 9:17-18).

The only way we got to know Paul spoke in tongues was when he wrote to the Church at Corinth and said,
“I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all” (1 Corinthians 14:18).
Paul didn’t say, “I spoke in tongues the moment Ananias laid hands on me.” It didn’t have to have happened the same day.

The bottom line is that you don’t need any other evidence aside from the Word of God that have you received the Holy Spirit.
In Luke 11:13, Jesus said, “If ye then being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Ghost to them that ask him?”
This is my evidence – the Word of God. I asked the Father, and I received the Holy Spirit by faith. So, the reason I know that I have the Holy Spirit is because of what the Word says, not just because I speak in tongues.

Prayer
Dear Father, your Word id the only evidence I need to be convinced of my inheritance and privileged place in Christ. Thank you for the power of your Word to illuminate my path, guide my thinking, and direct my actions aright today, in Jesus’ Name.

Further Study
Acts 2:38-39
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call.

Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Re: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: God’s Word Is The Evidence by HISservant: 9:51am On Feb 14, 2011
"I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue."  
1 Corinthians 14:6-19

Romans 8:15-17
"For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
"

(1) (Reply)

What Happens To Wicked People After Death? / Why Do Many, Even Bible Scholars Say God Created "light" First - Is It True? / A Christian Dad Discussed Homosexuality With Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.