Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

It Would Amount To Third Term For APC To Field Northern Candidate In 2023- Ndume - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / It Would Amount To Third Term For APC To Field Northern Candidate In 2023- Ndume (281 Views)

Atiku Can’t Be Northern Candidate, Says Baba / 2023: Pick Northern Candidate, Forget Igbo Votes – Ohanaeze Tells PDP / Court Orders PDP To Field Obaseki In Edo Primaries - Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Would Amount To Third Term For APC To Field Northern Candidate In 2023- Ndume by Shehuyinka: 1:20pm On Aug 03, 2020
MOHAMMED Ali Ndume, the senator representing Borno South Senatorial District says it would amount to third term if the All Progressives Congress (APC) fields a northerner as its presidential candidate in 2023.

The former senate leader in an interview with Daily Trust, said in the spirit of fairness, justice and fair play, the party should zone its presidential ticket to the South.

Series of reactions have trailed the President Muhammadu Buhari’s nephew, Mamman Daura’s, statement that zoning should be jettisoned in 2023.

Ndume said the party should zone its ticket to the South, adding that retaining the presidency in the North would be unfair for the party and the country.

“To me, as a founding member of the APC that witnessed the first convention where the presidency was deliberately zoned to the North and four candidates from the region: President Muhammadu Buhari, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, Senator Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso and Sam Nda-Isaiah, slugged it out, with Rochas Okorocha exercising his constitutional rights.

“I, Senator Mohammed Ali Ndume, I feel that it would not be fair, equitable and just to field a northern candidate for the presidency in APC, 2023. To me, fielding a northern candidate will be tantamount to third term; which is unconstitutional,” he explained.

He further said the best thing is to allow southerners to slug it out among themselves for the 2023 presidential ticket of the APC.

“For me, I have drawn the line already because everybody will stand before God and account for his deeds. We supported the zoning of the presidency to the North and we supported the president and he is spending his eight years in line with the constitution of the country,” Ndume said.

“By extension, the North is only allowed to serve two terms. So, if a northerner comes in again, it does not matter whether the person is Buhari or not, or a new name, that would mean that the North is going in for a third term; which is unconstitutional.”

READ MORE: https://www.icirnigeria.org/it-would-amount-to-third-term-for-apc-to-field-northern-candidate-in-2023-ndume/

Re: It Would Amount To Third Term For APC To Field Northern Candidate In 2023- Ndume by DeLaRue: 1:41pm On Aug 03, 2020
It's not unconstitutional. The constitution does not mandate rotational presidency.

Perhaps he feels personally that it is morally wrong based on the understanding they had when forming APC.

In any case, if it comes to the South, let those interested slug it out.
Re: It Would Amount To Third Term For APC To Field Northern Candidate In 2023- Ndume by Formularcr7: 2:10pm On Aug 03, 2020
Tinubu 2023 is all I know.
Re: It Would Amount To Third Term For APC To Field Northern Candidate In 2023- Ndume by Nobody: 2:25pm On Aug 03, 2020
For me, im voting the best candidate whether you are Igbo, Yoruba or igbira
All I know is I will never ever vote known thieves ( Tinubu Atiku,Kalu and co) because they are all part of the problem and they can't solve it

(1) (Reply)

Group Condemns Failed Invasion Of Edo Assembly, Urges APC To Wait For September / Obasa’s Comment Unfortunate, He Lacks Independence Of Thought / In Defense Of Constitutional Democracy - By Bola Ahmed Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.