Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,937 members, 7,952,776 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:03 AM

Army Ignores Court Order, Bars Lawyer From Seeing Detained Soldier - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Army Ignores Court Order, Bars Lawyer From Seeing Detained Soldier (284 Views)

APC NWC Backs Okocha, Ignores Court Judgment On Rivers Chairman / Security Operatives Stop Journalists, Kanu’s Lawyer From Court Premises / PDP Ignores Court Order, Holds Election In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Army Ignores Court Order, Bars Lawyer From Seeing Detained Soldier by Le124(m): 8:41pm On Aug 03, 2020
Eniola Akinkuotu, Abuja

The Nigerian Army on Monday barred a lawyer, Mr. Tope Akinyode, from seeing his client, Lance Corporal Martins Idakpani, despite an order from a Federal High Court compelling the army to grant Akinyode access to the soldier.

Idakpani has been in detention since June for allegedly insulting the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.Gen Tukur Buratai; and the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Gabriel Olonisakin in a video which has gone viral on social media.

He was arrested along with his wife, Victoria. While she was released a few days later, Idakpani has remained in custody and denied access to relatives and legal representation.

Justice Anwuli Chikere had about two weeks ago ordered that Idakpani’s lawyer be granted access to him.

The judge also said the Attorney-General of the Federation and the Chief of Army Staff must see to it that the judgment was enforced and obeyed.

However, Akinyode said he had been denied access to his client twice.

The lawyer said it was unfortunate that the army under the leadership of Buratai had decided to disobey a valid court order.
He said it was disheartening that even during civil rule the military had failed to shed its dictatorial tendencies.
Akinyode said he feared that his client may have been tortured or killed hence the decision of the army to deny him access.
The lawyer said, “Buratai’s conduct is a disgrace to the Armed Forces. He is tearing the constitution apart and rendering useless the concept of the rule of law. Buratai is about to become a dictator before our very eyes. There’s fire on the mountain.
“I got to the army headquarters around 2pm today after informing the AGF of my planned visit. Two officers that I met were identified as Lucky B and Genesis J. They denied me access to my client based on the order of Buratai.”
Re: Army Ignores Court Order, Bars Lawyer From Seeing Detained Soldier by kingEllah(f): 8:44pm On Aug 03, 2020
This country is just somehow
Re: Army Ignores Court Order, Bars Lawyer From Seeing Detained Soldier by Noblechykk(m): 8:51pm On Aug 03, 2020
It is finished
Re: Army Ignores Court Order, Bars Lawyer From Seeing Detained Soldier by PrinceOfEast(m): 9:20pm On Aug 03, 2020
How this country wan take better when Buratai and Buhari dey? Both of their names start with "B" and end with "I". Birds of same feather.

Bu-Boko
Ha-Ha
Ri-Ram shocked

1 Like

Re: Army Ignores Court Order, Bars Lawyer From Seeing Detained Soldier by PrinceOfEast(m): 9:28pm On Aug 03, 2020
Le124 Put link!

(1) (Reply)

IYD: I Am Highly Disappointed In Atiku - Dickson Iroegbu / Statement By The Yoruba Referendum Committee / C/river NUJ Blacklist State Govt, Calls FFK "Frustrated And Immature"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.