Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,769 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:53 PM

Footballers Die Poor, Former Ghana Coach Says - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Footballers Die Poor, Former Ghana Coach Says (309 Views)

Ghana Coach Otto Addo Resigns After World Cup Exit / Ghana Coach, Addo, Unveils Squad To Face Super Eagles / World Cup 2018: Argentina Coach Says His Boy Will Rubbish Nigeria Without Messi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Footballers Die Poor, Former Ghana Coach Says by RandomAfrican1: 7:05am On Aug 04, 2020

Mr. Kwesi Appiah, a former coach of the Ghana national side, the Black Stars, has said that he does not intend to continue in the field of football in any capacity because he does not want to die poor.

Source; https://africaatrandom.com/footballers-die-poor-former-black-stars-coach-kwesi-appiah-says/

The 60 year old who himself used to play for Ghana said this whiles speaking with Accra based radio station, Citi 97.3 FM.

Mr. Kwesi Appiah’s role at the helm of affairs as coach of the Ghana team ended in December 2019 and he has not offered much interview until recently.

During the interview, he said that “I’m not interested in talking about any football issues for now. I don’t know, maybe tomorrow I will change my mind but for now I’m not interested.”

Backing up his decision to steer clear of football for now, he intimated that many old footballers who were now living destitute lives depended solely on the game of football to make ends meet.

“Most of the old players are blind now; some can’t even walk while some are really struggling for a living.

So if they had concentrated only on football, that would have been their end.

So do they (referring to those who have issues with his decision) want my ending to be like such people?

If I’m taken out of the Black Stars won’t I do other businesses?

My concentration is on other businesses I do. My concentration is not on football for now.”

He added that most footballers made the mistake of not diversifying their investment portfolio during their peak earning days.

“Our footballers, I’m not saying they did not do well but at the end of the day if during their playing days, started other businesses with part of the money they made from playing, like by now they wouldn’t be looking up to football earnings alone.

So in everything you do if you rely on only one job, one day you can be sacked or the job can fade, then what becomes of you?

So I was talking in relation to, you don’t depend on one job, me I have never depended on one job, so if you leave one place then you look at the other side too”, he stressed.
Re: Footballers Die Poor, Former Ghana Coach Says by Nbotee(m): 7:09am On Aug 04, 2020
Becos most of dem would rather live to impress than live to invest... Lavish lifestyle with no investments always leads to poverty
Re: Footballers Die Poor, Former Ghana Coach Says by popsy2(m): 7:14am On Aug 04, 2020
Really
Re: Footballers Die Poor, Former Ghana Coach Says by chukwunedum150(m): 7:16am On Aug 04, 2020
grin this man floped well well
Re: Footballers Die Poor, Former Ghana Coach Says by ObaKlaz: 7:30am On Aug 04, 2020
That one na baller wen no get sense. Tell that to Messi, Ronaldo or Neymar. Our boy Odemwingie is still balling hard, even in retirement.

Just say your footballers over there never plan ahead for retirement. They spend it as soon as they get it, live fast lives, drink loads of champagne and fawck big booty Ghanaian girls anywhere they see one.

Las las, na to dey trekk around for Takoradi, dey chop Donkunu up and down go end d tori.
Re: Footballers Die Poor, Former Ghana Coach Says by sylve11: 7:31am On Aug 04, 2020
chukwunedum150:
grin this man floped well well

How?

Appiah is saying nothing but the truth....

You don't spend money on Selfie stick when your armpit actually needw shaving stick.

Save for the rainy days because it's not going to sunshine all through... cool
Re: Footballers Die Poor, Former Ghana Coach Says by paulolee(m): 12:04pm On Aug 04, 2020
really?? mayb e means African footballers but it still not really the case..

(1) (Reply)

Latest Manchester United FC News For Today - August 7. / Leipzig Out Class Athletico Madrid / Arsenal Beat QPR 4-3 In First Of Multiple Planned Friendlies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.