Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,992 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

Using Solar Panel As Ups Main Power Supply - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Using Solar Panel As Ups Main Power Supply (1021 Views)

Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. / USING UPS AS INVERTER 24HRS / With An Automatic Changeover Switch, You Enjoy Uninterrupted Power Supply. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Using Solar Panel As Ups Main Power Supply by LordHiffy(m): 9:32am On Aug 04, 2020
Hello tech gurus in the house
I'd like to hook up my small regular 650va UPS to a solar panel. I normally use the UPS as a step down to charge two laptops whenever there's light but seeing as NEPA is refusing to have sense and I have very little budget I'd like to use this same set up with solar panels serving as main electricity (solar panel --charge controller---UPS----laptops)
The question is:
1. Will this work?
2. How many watts of solar panel will be required to power the UPS

1 Like

Re: Using Solar Panel As Ups Main Power Supply by VoidLoop: 12:33pm On Aug 04, 2020
LordHiffy:
Hello tech gurus in the house
I'd like to hook up my small regular 650va UPS to a solar panel. I normally use the UPS as a step down to charge two laptops whenever there's light but seeing as NEPA is refusing to have sense and I have very little budget I'd like to use this same set up with solar panels serving as main electricity (solar panel --charge controller---UPS----laptops)
The question is:
1. Will this work?
2. How many watts of solar panel will be required to power the UPS

1. It will work only if a recommended connection is done.

2. 650VA Ups should be using single 12volts battery probably a capacity of 7Ah, then you can use a 50watts solar panel. But the ups battery can be upgraded to 40Ah to 100Ah battery @12volts, but this implies that the ups will have a long run time operation more than 4hours depending on the load, then the solar panel should be at least 100watts, but 200watts will be recommended, the solar panel should be monocrystalline solar panel. An MPPT charge controller for 12v@10A is recommended though you can still go for a commercial PWM charge controller. cool
Re: Using Solar Panel As Ups Main Power Supply by LordHiffy(m): 2:28pm On Aug 04, 2020
@VoidLoop thank you very much . You've actually opened my eyes to many other possibilities and ideas

1 Like

Re: Using Solar Panel As Ups Main Power Supply by VoidLoop: 2:35pm On Aug 04, 2020
You're welcome bro. You can contact me for any electronic projects. Check my signature.
Re: Using Solar Panel As Ups Main Power Supply by osuolale95(m): 12:23am On Jul 27, 2023
Can someone please sketch the diagram of how the connection will looks like

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Has An Average Broadband Speed Of 2.73 Mbps [REPORT] / Abu Dhabi Launch World's Largest Solar Plant / Microsoft Unveils Windows 10 System with Start Menu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.