Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,186 members, 7,818,599 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

Why Is Motherhood So Important To Igbo And Yoruba Culture? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Is Motherhood So Important To Igbo And Yoruba Culture? (631 Views)

The Highest And Most Polished Culture On Earth Is Yoruba Culture - Reno Omokri / African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land / Nigerians In Ireland Celebrate Yoruba Culture With Colourful Fabrics (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Motherhood So Important To Igbo And Yoruba Culture? by onesouza: 3:22pm On Aug 04, 2020
Hi, I'm from Brazil. I'm a researcher in Literature and Culture and I want to open my mind about other cultures. I want to learn how important is motherhood in other cultures.
Re: Why Is Motherhood So Important To Igbo And Yoruba Culture? by ModestGal(f): 3:48pm On Aug 04, 2020
onesouza:
Hi, I'm from Brazil. I'm a researcher in Literature and Culture and I want to open my mind about other cultures. I want to learn how important is motherhood in other cultures.
Its importance originates deeply from our roots. You can chat me directly through the link on my signature
Re: Why Is Motherhood So Important To Igbo And Yoruba Culture? by Vaughanlanrewaj: 3:58pm On Aug 04, 2020
Great!! Well done and e kaabo.
For Yoruba, try and get Yoruba songs that specially capture and praise mothers and their roles and find their translation in English or Creole or Spanish language. The rendition of those special songs to mothers is one of the most important part of marriage ceremony most Yoruba mothers look forward to when their children are getting married.
When the song is being rendered in praise of mother, others , starting from her children, next joins her on the dance floor to spray her money while she dances to those folklore songs that eulogizes mothers and motherhood.
The children also use that opportunity to appreciate and celebrate their mother.
It's part of Yoruba culture and I have been privileged to do join my mother on the dance floor such occasions to celebrate her when my younger siblings were getting married.
Re: Why Is Motherhood So Important To Igbo And Yoruba Culture? by Emilokoiyawon: 1:52am On Aug 06, 2020
Because Igbos are the grandchildren of Yorubas. So there is some Yoruba commonalities that are present in today's Igbo culture. All you need to do is study authentic Yoruba culture and you will understand the basic of Igbo culture.
Re: Why Is Motherhood So Important To Igbo And Yoruba Culture? by Yujin(m): 1:47pm On Aug 10, 2020
Emilokoiyawon:
Because Igbos are the grandchildren of Yorubas. So there is some Yoruba commonalities that are present in today's Igbo culture. All you need to do is study authentic Yoruba culture and you will understand the basic of Igbo culture.
Lol. Why attaching to Igbo? Simply state the Yoruba way of eulogizing mothers and leave Igbos out of it. Nna ehn!
Re: Why Is Motherhood So Important To Igbo And Yoruba Culture? by Yujin(m): 2:53pm On Aug 10, 2020
onesouza:
I'm Igbo and will write to the best of my knowledge. Firstly, I'll welcome you in Igbo by saying "Nnoo".
Now, mothers occupy a very important part of the world and life among my people. In fact, Igbos believe that motherhood is very essential for the survival of both the individual and community. From the earth goddess 'Ana', 'Ani', 'Ala', 'Ali' who is regarded as mother of mankind, the provider of all crops that sustains life to the mother that begets a child who's seen to protect and nurture her child both in life and death. It's no doubt why all Igbos hold their mother's in high esteem. The earth goddess, 'Ala' was once highly venerated with shrines and houses built in her honour and invocations done in her name for the prosperity of the land. The Igbo concept of burial is believed to be the return of the dead person to the bosom of the great mother for a peaceful rest until he's reincarnated to the world of the living hence not every dead person is seen to be fit/qualified for burial. People who's activities while alive were considered abominable to 'Ala' fall into this category. People who's death are seen not to be 'proper' also fall into this category and are not committed into the earth. They're cast into the evil forest where their spirits wander about restlessly. This religious aspect has waned drastically as Igbos are mainly Christians today.
Socially, the concept of motherhood among Igbos is one that has survived to this very day as mothers still play very important role in the life of the children and family in general. Igbo mothers are expected to teach and equip their children with skills to keep the home going smoothly and these skills most times are irrespective of gender. They're expected to instruct their offsprings on their social responsibilities including the famed interpretation of the numerous proverbs, idiomatic and figurative expressions that characterize the everyday Igbo life. They're expected never to abandon their children but rather do everything to bring them up into being responsible members of the society. They'll toil and deprive themselves of luxuries just to ensure that their offsprings are giving the proper provisions to aid their success in life and in turn, their children are expected to give them their respect and loyalty till the end. The offsprings are to start the gradual appreciation of their mothers when they get married and procreate by inviting the mother for a 'nurture visit' popular known as 'Omugwo'. Here, the mother of either of the couples will visit them after a safe child birth to aid the recently put to bed wife with house chores and post natal treatment of her body for quick recovery including cooking traditional cuisines that have over the years proved to be helpful. At the expiration of her visit, the couples are expected to shower her with items and gifts of appreciation as she proceeds back to her home. The Igbos captured the value placed on motherhood with this common name that Igbo women bear "Nneka" which simply means 'Mother is supreme.
While in the school hostel during my undergraduate days, I noticed that most Igbo boys myself inclusive had a piece of wrapper(a large piece of loose cloth most Igbo women tie round their waist) that we use to cover ourselves before we sleep. I did sense it was symbolic of we carrying the warmth of our mothers with us as we sleep.
In Igbo tradition, it is abominable to drag an erring child out of his mothers grip/bosom irrespective of the crime he committed. Whatever the case, the child having succeeded to run into his mothers hands must be left untouched and his crime discussed and punished another time.
Finally, it is worthy to note that the family of any mother(Ikwunne or Ibenne) among Igbos is considered the last sanctuary for her child. Whatever pursues a man from his father's compound, kindred or clan and he seeks refuge in his maternal family home is expected to cease the pursuit. This is interpreted as him running into his mothers bosom for safety. There are special names a man is called in his maternal home and that relationship is highly respected till date.
I do hope this helps in your research. You're welcome to ask further questions on any thing about Igbos that you don't know or understand.

(1) (Reply)

Reno Facts About The So-called Igbo-slaves Has Been Straightened Out. / Nigeria Becomes 6th Most Populous Country As World’s Population Hits 8 Billion / What Is The Name Of This Thing - Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.