Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:45 AM

Can Someone Explain This? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can Someone Explain This? (464 Views)

Please Admission Expert Can Someone Explain Why Unilorin Didn't Give Admission? / Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. / When You Are Asked To Explain Your Experience In A Nigerian Boarding School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Someone Explain This? by meeky007(m): 8:35pm On Aug 05, 2020
There are two oranges, why is the peeled one not floating and vice versa

Re: Can Someone Explain This? by ekibs11(m): 8:41pm On Aug 05, 2020
there is natural air within the unpilled orange making it to float less permeable

the other is pilled it becomes more permeable ie water can easily pass through

just a thought...
Re: Can Someone Explain This? by shamsin6300(m): 9:00pm On Aug 05, 2020
Let me do expo

there is natural air within the unpilled orange making it to float less permeable

the other is pilled it becomes more permeable ie water can easily pass through.

You have your answer, let me send you my account number.
Re: Can Someone Explain This? by ojun50(m): 9:09pm On Aug 05, 2020
shamsin6300:
Let me do expo

Lolz
Re: Can Someone Explain This? by meeky007(m): 9:14pm On Aug 05, 2020
shamsin6300:
Let me do expo

nay u failed
let us ask lalasticlala
Re: Can Someone Explain This? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Aug 05, 2020
Tricky question.
Well, if I still remember secondary school physics, we learnt then that density is a major player in upthrust which brings about floating.
An object floats when it's less dense than it's surrounding and density is the ratio of weight to the volume of object.

The orange obviously is less dense than the water, reason why it floated, same should have applied to the peeled orange, but I think there is a break or crack in the structure of the peeled one which gave entrance to water bubbles. That's why you notice air bubbles escape when you place peeled orange in water. Air bubbles escape because there's an inlet of water.
Porosity is a killer of floating, that is why a ship floats but begins to sink once there's a crack in it for water to gain entrance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Someone Explain This? by Aluminumquadri(m): 9:58pm On Aug 05, 2020
In a whole orange the outer skin act as a repellant for water and thus the inside is empty. This causes a decrease in density and the buoyant force dominates thus the orange floats. In case of a peeled orange the water rushes in and fills the gaps thus making the orange somewhat more denser. As density increases the buoyant force becomes weakens thus the peeled orange sinks. It is same as a filled bucket sinks in water while an empty bucket floats on the surface
Re: Can Someone Explain This? by Chuksjohnleo24: 6:45am On Aug 06, 2020
A little stone will sink when thrown into water but when kept on a boat it will not sink .
Up trust.
Re: Can Someone Explain This? by NDSMELODY(m): 9:19am On Aug 06, 2020
My opinion comes from archimede's principle of floatation which state that when a body is wholly or partially immersed in a fluid,it experience an upthrust which is equal to the weight of fluid displaced.this implies that weight of a body is the prominent factor for it floatation,an un pilled orange has less weight in water while the pilled one has greater weight in water which make it to sink.furthermer there is water porousity for pilled which make it more heavier than the un pilled one.
Re: Can Someone Explain This? by meeky007(m): 8:50pm On Aug 06, 2020
NDSMELODY:
My opinion comes from archimede's principle of floatation which state that when a body is wholly or partially immersed in a fluid,it experience an upthrust which is equal to the weight of fluid displaced.this implies that weight of a body is the prominent factor for it floatation,an un pilled orange has less weight in water while the pilled one has greater weight in water which make it to sink.furthermer there is water porousity for pilled which make it more heavier than the un pilled one.
yea
you are making sense
Re: Can Someone Explain This? by exynos(m): 9:14pm On Aug 06, 2020
The minute trapped air beneath the skin of the floating orange is aptly essential for its buoyancy in water

(1) (Reply)

12 Year Old Makes History As Youngest To Study Aerospace Eng. At Georgia Tech / Uniosun Updated Postgraduate Msc Past Questions Exam And Answers Pdf Copy 2020 / Outcome Of FG And ASUU Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.