Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,965 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:37 AM

Can Someone Please Explain This Chess Rules To Me - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Can Someone Please Explain This Chess Rules To Me (400 Views)

Please Help Explain This Handicap 1(0) In 1xbet / Please Help Me Explain This Betting Option / Magnus Carlsen Vs Femi Balogun - Chess Cup Match 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Someone Please Explain This Chess Rules To Me by Nobody: 12:53pm On Aug 09, 2020
I've been practicing and this chess move is confusing me.

The correct move is to move my white king near my pawn in order to protect it from the black king.

My question is why can't the black king just captured the pawn since it can move to that direction? Or is there a special rule guiding it.

Re: Can Someone Please Explain This Chess Rules To Me by Pipefitter: 1:03pm On Aug 09, 2020
It can't because if you move close to the pawn with the white king and the black king captures the pawn, the black king will be in check and Kings only move a step, so its akin to game over.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain This Chess Rules To Me by geez18(m): 1:08pm On Aug 09, 2020
surely you do understand that the game comes to an end when the king of either player is killed.

now if you've moved your white king next to your white pun you are directly protecting that pun with your king so your opponent's black king cannot eliminate that white pun because by doing so he will therein expose his king to yours for elimination.

you cannot directly move a king into a position where he is checked or checkmated
Re: Can Someone Please Explain This Chess Rules To Me by Nobody: 1:08pm On Aug 09, 2020
Lailai. It can't
The king is well protected. If you move your white king near your white pawn. The next move 4 the black king is to capture your white pawn. Then the black checkmate the white. You lose
Game of chess is the best board game I've ever seen

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Please Explain This Chess Rules To Me by Nobody: 1:09pm On Aug 09, 2020
Pipefitter:
It can't because if you move close to the pawn with the white king and the black king captures the pawn, the black king will be in check and Kings only move a step, so its akin to game over.
thank you. But what if I promote my white pawn to queen or any of the pieces, wouldn't the black king still just capture it?
Re: Can Someone Please Explain This Chess Rules To Me by Nobody: 1:11pm On Aug 09, 2020
geez18:
surely you do understand that the game comes to an end when the king of either player is killed.

now if you've moved your white king next to your white pun you are directly protecting that pun with your king so your opponent's black king cannot eliminate that white pun because by doing so he will therein expose his king to yours for elimination.

thank you very much.

But if a a queen was moved to that place,the black king can still capture the pawn, right?
Re: Can Someone Please Explain This Chess Rules To Me by Nobody: 1:14pm On Aug 09, 2020
Kittex7:
Lailai. It can't
The king is well protected. If you move your white king near your white pawn. The next move 4 the black king is to capture your white pawn. Then the black checkmate the white. You lose
Game of chess is the best board game I've ever seen
I swear chess is So complicated and I'm trying to understand every single rules and direction of it.

My question is,for example I'm using the black king, is it the rule not to capture the pawn(because the white king is near it) or it's not just advisable??
Re: Can Someone Please Explain This Chess Rules To Me by Pipefitter: 1:15pm On Aug 09, 2020
TheGodlessGod:
thank you. But what if I promote my white pawn to queen or any of the pieces, wouldn't the black king still just capture it?

You need to move your pawn a step forward to be able to promote it, the black king will capture whatever you promote it to because it's a step away from it
Re: Can Someone Please Explain This Chess Rules To Me by geez18(m): 1:19pm On Aug 09, 2020
Remember that the sole aim of the game is to eliminate(checkmate) your opponent's king. every chessman at your disposal are there soley to protect your king and try to eliminate your opponent's king.

Your queen is the most powerful officer at your disposal, so any move you make to sacrifice your queen must be worth the game. A Gambit it must be.

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Please Explain This Chess Rules To Me by Nobody: 1:20pm On Aug 09, 2020
Pipefitter:

You need to move your pawn a step forward to be able to promote it, the black king will capture whatever you promote it to because it's a step away from it
you're right, sorry I didn't see it.

Okay let's take a scenario where the black king is just a square away from capturing the white pawn as soon as it's promoted, is it possible??.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain This Chess Rules To Me by Nobody: 1:40pm On Aug 09, 2020
TheGodlessGod:
I swear chess is So complicated and I'm trying to understand every single rules and direction of it.

My question is,for example I'm using the black king, is it the rule not to capture the pawn(because the white king is near it) or it's not just advisable??
If it's on computer you are playing the chess. The computer won't allow the king to move to where the opponent will be captured so easily because of the respect the king deserves. But if you are playing with the physical opponent I mean normal friends. In fact he would be happy for you to capture the pawn so he can move one step ahead to check your king. Then he wins so easily. Not advisable is the answer. There's no rule attach to that set piece.... My opinion and lil experience
Re: Can Someone Please Explain This Chess Rules To Me by Pipefitter: 1:40pm On Aug 09, 2020
TheGodlessGod:
you're right, sorry I didn't see it.

Okay let's take a scenario where the black king is just a square away from capturing the white pawn as soon as it's promoted, is it possible??.

A Square away means it will still be at the same position, but if you mean two squares away and you promoted the pawn to queen or castle, then it will be impossible because the black king will be checkmated as soon as its horizontal to castle and queen (the queen will checkmate it on vertical position too) but it can capture n unprotected bishop if it attacks from horizontal position if the bishop doesn't move.

(1) (Reply)

Timo Werner Scores His First Chelsea Goal Vs Brighton After Four Minutes / Manchester United Working On Multiple Signings Before Transfer Deadline Day / Checkout This Hilarious Comment By Mourinho

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.