Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,850 members, 7,817,517 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:38 PM

Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others (8164 Views)

Stop Saying "Up Nepa", This Is The Correct English To Use / Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead / Examination Misconduct: BUK Expels 63 Students, Rusticates 13 Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by yuswrld20(m): 12:22am On Aug 10, 2020
thanks a lot
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Mastakija(m): 12:41am On Aug 10, 2020
leemao who on earth says [b]Escape goat[b]
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by crackhouse(m): 2:21am On Aug 10, 2020
Bro u speak all these and you are still broke. What's the need? E better make i no sabi speak English and get money than knowing all the English without money.
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by DrayZee: 2:31am On Aug 10, 2020
Nairalanders always think everything is about how much money you can get immediately. Just to learn a few things and get your vocabulary up to standard, people are here talking about money. Will good English speaking skills prevent one from getting money? Or do people get paid for not knowing English?

You can get a job just by having a respectable command of the English language.

But no. Money money money. Every time, you people will gather to type rubbish, all the English you refused to know, how much money has it gotten you? Some of you are just averse to anything concerning knowledge.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by ademasta(m): 3:56am On Aug 10, 2020
Wow! Very great.

1 Like

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by gcof(m): 5:44am On Aug 10, 2020
And lastly, make money for without it, correct English worthless
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Ebpumping: 6:04am On Aug 10, 2020
If not hello,then what are we suppose to say. Cuz that's the part I want to know.

1 Like

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by damiloladuke: 6:12am On Aug 10, 2020
Oya now
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Stephenomozzy(m): 6:46am On Aug 10, 2020
Dottore:
Nice to know but good English don't pay bills.
Why bother over wrong usage of Grammer when most academic scholars are either being governed or employed by average level English users or even illiterates.

My late uncle was a notable English Language lecturer but nothing to show for it.
We should pay more attention to being able to have a basic knowledge of communicating in English and acquiring valuable skills, being the best in our respective hustles rather than perfecting our usage of white man's language.

Trump is not good in English language and spellings yet he's the no one citizen of the world.

Buhari isn't an English Scholar yet he's the president of the largest country in Africa.

Dangote, Adenuga, Innoson, Alakija and others too numerous to mention know nothing about correct use of English yet they are more influential than all the English scholars and lecturers combined.

Even Pastorpreneurs commit grammatical blunders yet English scholars clamour to gain their attention.
Even Odumeje with his battle with English is wining and dining with Governors.

So why bother myself with where to place "is" and "was"

Na wao

Sha know that until you're in the same place as those men you cited, you may have to be in your best self in certain company of people to create a good impression that might just take you to places. Especially in written communication

2 Likes

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Nobody: 7:19am On Aug 10, 2020
Nonsense and ingredients
The way pple try to make dis irrelevant subject look relevant
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by HarryDuce(m): 9:23am On Aug 10, 2020
rasheylaw:

10: Don’t say I will try my possible best – I will try my best possible.

The bold is weird. 'Possibly' perhaps? Or just 'best'?

1 Like

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Liposure: 9:38am On Aug 10, 2020
Come and be going

1 Like

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Princeboca12(m): 10:10am On Aug 10, 2020
Good morning nairalanders. I have an iPhone 6 for sale, it's London used(three days old) and in great working condition. My location nis Uyo, Akwa Ibom state. Here's my number(08120969894)WhatsApp or call is accepted. Price is 50k, though it's negotiable. Thanks for sparing time to read.

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by NobleKing01(m): 10:13am On Aug 10, 2020
Nice one
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Boosheman(m): 11:51am On Aug 10, 2020
You forgot to add "of" to number 2

1 Like

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Hibrahim2002(m): 12:07pm On Aug 10, 2020
Yes
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by femo86(m): 12:11pm On Aug 10, 2020
Teacher abeg wetin I go talk

I am feeling horneeey or I am horneeey grin grin

Haba... Why NL change am to "hot"
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Emmoa(m): 12:37pm On Aug 10, 2020
Don't say "don't say" . Say "do not say".
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Simplecity(m): 12:54pm On Aug 10, 2020
careytommy37:
Sharigan vai genjutsu. Gika no jikan. Supesu. wink
you get problem this morning abi infinite sukuyumi fall on you cheesy grin oya gimme your chakra tongue
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by careytommy37(m): 1:22pm On Aug 10, 2020
Silentgroper:
. Too much naruto.

kage bushin no jutsu

Simplecity:
you get problem this morning abi infinite sukuyumi fall on you cheesy grin oya gimme your chakra tongue

grin grin grin grin
Make una no mind me abeg?
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by olisaEze(m): 1:31pm On Aug 10, 2020
"Hello, good day", let me first wait for grammernazi before I talk my own. grin

While we’re waiting, it’s a pair of 'shoes' and it’s "I will advise" not 'advised'. grin grin

But thanks for d lessons. grin

1 Like

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by bbbabes(f): 1:38pm On Aug 10, 2020
Many young people lack courtesy.. Blame the internet

1 Like

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Mr2wealth: 1:51pm On Aug 10, 2020
What of those that answer their calls with SALAMALEKU grin
Correct this one too oh cool

1 Like

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by jUeLiZ: 1:55pm On Aug 10, 2020
you see that number 13,, leave"taking it too personal" make e dey abeg

btw i came to see wt to say in place of "hello"... wer am?
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Researchclue: 2:21pm On Aug 10, 2020
Dear Researcher/Student,
You can now use this awesome tool to calculate accurate sample size from your population.
To get started, visit www.researchclue.com, on the top right, click on 'Research Tools,' type in your population and calculate.

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by xcolanto(m): 2:52pm On Aug 10, 2020
Ebpumping:
If not hello,then what are we suppose to say. Cuz that's the part I want to know.

You say, How e dey be!
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Lecturebidz(m): 2:52pm On Aug 10, 2020
This is enlightening.
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by hensil(m): 2:55pm On Aug 10, 2020
Robert Kiyosaki once said: "if someone invites you to join an investment business, join the business even if you don't know what it is all about. But be patient and learn the process gradually and relentlessly. Remain there even if it takes you 1 - 6 months to be successful in it because when the benefits begin to flow, you will NEVER be the same person ever again." People don't have the patience to build a business for 3 years. But they have the patience to go to work for 40 years. It's crazy how some people feel that 1-2 years in a business is a long time to get rich. However, don't feel that 40 years at a job is a long time to stay broke.

My name is Emeka henry, I am a skilled Serial Entrepreneur and Digital Network Marketer, I bring you yet another opportunity that you can take advantage of and better your standard of living, Today I bring you DW-Arerben Investment.

What is DW-Arerben Investment :
DW-Arerben Investment is a company that is into forex, crypto and binary trading. We also handle funds management and investment. DW-Arerben Investments is dedicated to creating long-term value for our clients. The investment needs of our clients are at the heart of what we do. We offer a comprehensive range of investment solutions,
as well as the very highest level of service and support.Contact me on
0706 317 4181 to learn more about this Investment opportunity and also if you wish to invest and to follow up your Investments.

Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Silentgroper(m): 3:50pm On Aug 10, 2020
careytommy37:

grin grin grin grin Make una no mind me abeg?
grin
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Dottore: 4:48pm On Aug 10, 2020
Stephenomozzy:

Sha know that until you're in the same place as those men you cited, you may have to be in your best self in certain company of people to create a good impression that might just take you to places. Especially in written communication
Well the people I mentioned weren't born into their respective current glorious position. They climbed into it by hard work and being the best in their hustles not by speaking English Grammar to impress anyone.
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by estyvino(m): 4:58pm On Aug 10, 2020
rasheylaw:
Today I will be deliberating on some grammatical error in our spoken English, you will agree with me that English is not our mother’s tongue but since we are opportune to speak and write it I guess we should do it well.

Below are list of some grammatical we speak everyday, do good by practicing them and am assuring you, you will speak well.

1: Don’t say the food is peperish – The food is peppery.

2: Don’t say, She delivered a baby boy – She was delivered of a baby boy.

3: Don’t say Traveling bag – Travel bag

4: Don’t say he is matured – He is mature

5: Don’t say the reason is because – The reason is that.

6: Don’t say my stuffs – My stuff.

7: Don’t say night vigil – Vigil.

8: Don’t say I want to barb my hair – I want to cut my hair.

9: Don’t say Escape goat – A Scape goat.

10: Don’t say I will try my possible best – I will try my best possible.

11: Don’t say I was beaten by the rain – I was drenched.

12: Don’t say I have a shoe – I have a pair of shoe.

13: Don’t say you are taking it too personal – You are taking it personally.

Hello is a general way of greeting, even with or without, to be more polite and mature I will advised you greet the person like Good morning/evening or Good day , since we are used to the word Hello while not put it this way eg Hello Good morning/evening or Good day.

Most times we don’t apply courtesy and we kind of lack manners even if its our elders calling us, we just pick the call and say hello, without even greeting and is very wrong..

Ways to enhance our spoken English .
1: Read educative books like novels.

2: Always jot down new words and look for them in the dictionary later.

3: You can download dictionary in your smartphone for easy access or you can have it at home.

4: Learn how to position your verb in a sentence its very important.

5: Always practice what you have learnt, remember Practice make progress
Re: Stop Saying ‘hello’ When Someone Calls You- See The Correct Word And 13 Others by Nobody: 5:19pm On Aug 10, 2020
Who correct English epp?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

University Of Ibadan Enquiry 2010/2011 / Today October 5 Happy Teachers Day. / How Long Does A WAEC Result Remain Valid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.