Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,750 members, 7,820,587 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... (1548 Views)

Ranking Of Golden Boot Winners: Messi The 1st To Claim This Award For 6 Times / Lionel Messi, The Second Player To Ever Score 100 Goals In UCL / Jese Rodriguez Is Proving Himself In England (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by D4donnn: 2:34pm On Aug 12, 2020
I'll be sincere I'm a very big fan of messi .

Weirdly enough I equally like Ronaldo ( though sometimes , I wish his opponents gets one over him , for reasons I'll address later)

I'm equally a very big fan of unselfish and highly technical players , one of my favorites de bruyne , Mane , iniesta , dybala and the likes .

Now back to the issue ?
Who or why should messi have to prove himself to anybody ?

Now let's logically or analytically analyze certain things .

What's the most difficult competition in football .

I think it's either the word cup or the champions league.
Weirdly messi has excelled in both even bagging golden ball award in both competition, something I dont think more than 5 players may have achieved.

Another annoying thing , must a player come to epl before he can be deemed successful or proven great .

Messi can't perform without iniesta , xavi or neymar's but he keeps scoring goals and setting records for assists independently I'll say.

If Leicester can win the epl , something I don't think can realistically happen in laliga surely anything can happen over there .

Now y'all talk about messi shying away from a challenge , but who realistically leaves a premium place of employment where you're loved , valued and probably having a lot of fun for somewhere lower and with a considerable chance of not being fun , as stated by the likes of Diego Costa.

Now look at some of the biggest import in epl , Forlan , aguero , Costa, Torres, this guys where equally in laliga and they couldn't come near messi . If this guys can excel in epl why can't messi , yeah y'all will argue that the team is maybe built around him and their way of play is most suited to messi . But does Argentina play tiki taka , yet messi has taken them to more finals than any other player has done for his country .

Finally y'all tend to use Ronaldo's exploits as the basis for your comparisons . But ronaldon left , sporting for man utd , man utd to real Madrid, real Madrid to Juventus.
All this teams I listed where either the best or where the second best in their division at his time of arrival .
Now there's speculation about PSG's, I marvel at his beautiful choice of challenges. According to zlatan if ronaldo wants a challenge he should have opted for anything other than the strongest team in the league.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that messi is the best , or he will thrive in any league , even though he has one if not the best scoring stats against the top teams in epl .

All I simply wanna say is messi probably doesn't care about what you think and even if he does wouldn't risk destabilizing his family who are comfortably rooted , in Barcelona for one nonsensical and completely illogical challenge.

In conclusion ogbeni and those clamoring he should come and prove himself , get a life , the dude doesn't know you exist and he absolutely owes you nothing , if you want a challenge go and join eyimba or any local league and prove to us you can do something worthwhile with your time .

The last two players to underestimate messi

Vincent kompany " stoke away can be tougher than the nou camp" , it ended as a home and away victory for Barcelona

Manuel neuer " I'll show messi who is boss " boateng ended up dancing skelewu to neuer buffoonery.

Y'all should discard this dirty spirit of entitlement, if I was messi I'll stay in Barcelona and only leave if I have a better offering in a more comfortable surrounding .

Being loyal shouldn't be a crime , I haven't seen detractors come for totti or Gerrard.

Hmmmm I'm tired , you dont have to change your mind , but simply do a self reflection and those people calling him a coward and urging for new challenge . Y'all should go and flaunt your bravery to Sars operatives or travel down to Rwanda or south Sudan and start a new challenge , until then y'all are scared chickens and clowns .

7 Likes

Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by HundredWays(m): 3:35pm On Aug 12, 2020
grin dreamer

1 Like

Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by HundredWays(m): 3:39pm On Aug 12, 2020
Argentina �� as a case study.. Messi needs barca team mates in Inter, M. City or anywhere

1 Like

Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by D4donnn: 4:38pm On Aug 12, 2020
HundredWays:
Argentina �� as a case study.. Messi needs barca team mates in Inter, M. City or anywhere

Yet without Barca team mates he has taken them to a world cup final , countless copa America finals , even Olympics final . Hmmmm I don't understand your basis for your conclusion but maybe you think say to reach finals na beans .
Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by D4donnn: 4:39pm On Aug 12, 2020
HundredWays:
grin dreamer

I'd love to hear your reasoning but I know your type you probably wouldn't be able to come up with anything coherent to support your arguement.

1 Like

Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by reccy(m): 8:02pm On Aug 12, 2020
I love this! In a nutshell, if you see the need for messi to change, equally see the need to change to south sudan or mali.... You can even try sambisa...

Thank you jare op, we have one and only one GOAT and thats Leo, any other one, is just an assistant goat.

1 Like

Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by obonujoker(m): 8:09pm On Aug 12, 2020
You can not win only at one club, and call yourself greatest of all time

3 Likes

Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by obonujoker(m): 8:10pm On Aug 12, 2020
D4donnn:

Yet without Barca team mates he has taken them to a world cup final , countless copa America finals , even Olympics final . Hmmmm I don't understand your basis for your conclusion but maybe you think say to reach finals na beans .

Do you know what Maradona did with Napoli and Argentina??

3 Likes

Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by D4donnn: 8:28pm On Aug 12, 2020
obonujoker:

Do you know what Maradona did with Napoli and Argentina??

Has he done what messi has done and moreover how many cup finals did Maradona take argentina to

Look at your Maradona,

Argentina
1x World Champion (1986)
Napoli
1x UEFA-Cup (1989)
2x Italian Champion (1987, 1990)
1x Italian Cup (1987)
1x Italian Super Cup (1991)
FC Barcelona
1x Spanish Cup (1983)
1x Spanish League Cup (1982)
1x Spanish Super Cup (1983)
Boca Juniors
1x Argentinean Champion (1981)

Honours

5x South American Footballer of the Year (1979, '86, '89, '90, '92)
3x Top scorer Argentine League (1979, 1980, 1981)
1x Top scorer Italian League (1988)

mind you he went to four world cup o , the only difference is he won the final and messi didn't, other than that, what else of note did he achieve?

I dare not bring messi trophies and individual honors
Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by D4donnn: 8:28pm On Aug 12, 2020
obonujoker:

Did pele play outside Brazilian league
Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by Nobody: 8:39pm On Aug 12, 2020
obonujoker:
You're an ungrateful fellow. Assuming you Sabi nack, but girls underrated you cos you're poor and hungry looking. Then all of a sudden a girl shows up takes you from trash to dining with kings. Tell me even if you're an alpha male would you leave that girl? If your answer is NO you definitly know what Leo's reaction will be when asked to leave FCB. Btw when you replying me don't say trash cos am in a dissing mode

3 Likes

Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by jaybliss1410(m): 9:14pm On Aug 12, 2020
I used to be Barca and Messi enemy back den, (maybe cos I supported Chelsea) but as time goes by, I fell in love with Messi unconditionally cos of his role in d football world. How do u expect Messi to leave Barca when he's d Barca himself? D funniest tin is even if Messi plays for my community team, he's still gonna hold football world to ransom. My question is which team can afford billions of pounds to have him? Messi himself is a team reason y bayern would be playing against two teams Messi and Barca.

2 Likes

Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by jaybliss1410(m): 9:14pm On Aug 12, 2020
I used to be Barca and Messi enemy back den, (maybe cos I supported Chelsea) but as time goes by, I fell in love with Messi unconditionally cos of his role in d football world. How do u expect Messi to leave Barca when he's d Barca himself? D funniest tin is even if Messi plays for my community team, he's still gonna hold football world to ransom. My question is which team can afford billions of pounds to have him? Messi himself is a team reason y bayern would be playing against two teams Messi and Barca.

WHAT DO I NO SEF?
Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by Aaronzy: 9:47pm On Aug 12, 2020
obonujoker:
is not by moving from man u to Madrid, then to Juventus and now planning of running to PSG
Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by obonujoker(m): 9:50pm On Aug 12, 2020
D4donnn:

Has he done what messi has done and moreover how many cup finals did Maradona take argentina to

Look at your Maradona,

Argentina
1x World Champion (1986)
Napoli
1x UEFA-Cup (1989)
2x Italian Champion (1987, 1990)
1x Italian Cup (1987)
1x Italian Super Cup (1991)
FC Barcelona
1x Spanish Cup (1983)
1x Spanish League Cup (1982)
1x Spanish Super Cup (1983)
Boca Juniors
1x Argentinean Champion (1981)

Honours

5x South American Footballer of the Year (1979, '86, '89, '90, '92)
3x Top scorer Argentine League (1979, 1980, 1981)
1x Top scorer Italian League (1988)

mind you he went to four world cup o , the only difference is he won the final and messi didn't, other than that, what else of note did he achieve?

I dare not bring messi trophies and individual honors

WC bigger than all Messi trophies...

In Argentina history, Maradona is bigger than Messi

2 Likes

Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by obonujoker(m): 9:51pm On Aug 12, 2020
D4donnn:

Did pele play outside Brazilian league

Pele was a world champion as well. Also played in New York and became a legend there too...

1 Like

Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by obonujoker(m): 9:52pm On Aug 12, 2020
Masonkaycares:
You're an ungrateful fellow. Assuming you Sabi nack, but girls underrated you cos you're poor and hungry looking. Then all of a sudden a girl shows up takes you from trash to dining with kings. Tell me even if you're an alpha male would you leave that girl? If your answer is NO you definitly know what Leo's reaction will be when asked to leave FCB. Btw when you replying me don't say trash cos am in a dissing mode

Relationship is not a perfect analogy

1 Like

Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by Nobody: 10:33pm On Aug 12, 2020
obonujoker:

Relationship is not a perfect analogy
if a relationship isn't, what is?
Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by D4donnn: 11:44pm On Aug 12, 2020
obonujoker:

Going by your analogy that makes giroud a better player than messi na , or you'll say a more accomplished player because his world cup trumps all of messi's trophies .

1 Like

Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by obonujoker(m): 11:48pm On Aug 12, 2020
D4donnn:

Going by your analogy that makes giroud a better player than messi na , or you'll say a more accomplished player because his world cup trumps all of messi's trophies .

Giroud is not in the goat discussion... So it holds no water..

To be the numero Uno, you must be a champion in all sphere of the sport...

This is why Pele is still number 1

1 Like

Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by D4donnn: 11:58pm On Aug 12, 2020
obonujoker:

Giroud is not in the goat discussion... So it holds no water..

To be the numero Uno, you must be a champion in all sphere of the sport...

This is why Pele is still number 1

So who's a champion in all sphere of the sport , guy footballers are humans , and it takes a perfect human being to be a champion in all sphere of the sport . And I was not saying messing was the number one .

So pele is your number one , I really dont have much to say to you , your type prefer to rely on squawka and other stats oriented sites than to actually watch a game .

Was pele the best set piece taker ?
Was pele more skillful
How many assists did pele give
Could he beat 5 players to score a goal .

Pele is all about his goals , messi is far better as an All rounder than your pele.

1 Like

Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by obonujoker(m): 12:05am On Aug 13, 2020
D4donnn:

So who's a champion in all sphere of the sport , guy footballers are humans , and it takes a perfect human being to be a champion in all sphere of the sport . And I was not saying messing was the number one .

So pele is your number one , I really dont have much to say to you , your type prefer to rely on squawka and other stats oriented sites than to actually watch a game .

Was pele the best set piece taker ?
Was pele more skillful
How many assists did pele give
Could he beat 5 players to score a goal .

Pele is all about his goals , messi is far better as an All rounder than your pele.

Even maradona that dribbled 6 players is still 2nd to Pele.... Even Pele that carried Argentina to win a WC is still 2nd to Pele...

You need to read up and Pele and make your suggestion again... We didnt watch Pele play,but his exploits linger for generations.

Pele
Maradona

Still above many statpadders

FYI.. Pele scored 70 freekicks... Assists weren't counted in his time.... You are asking if Pele could beat 5 player to score a goal...lol.. if Van Nistelrooy could do it, will it be too hard for Pele??

1 Like

Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by D4donnn: 12:28am On Aug 13, 2020
obonujoker:

Even maradona that dribbled 6 players is still 2nd to Pele.... Even Pele that carried Argentina to win a WC is still 2nd to Pele...

You need to read up and Pele and make your suggestion again... We didnt watch Pele play,but his exploits linger for generations.

Pele
Maradona

Still above many statpadders

FYI.. Pele scored 70 freekicks... Assists weren't counted in his time.... You are asking if Pele could beat 5 player to score a goal...lol.. if Van Nistelrooy could do it, will it be too hard for Pele??

How can you argue and base your argument on the opinion of others , I thought you were an oldie but e clear say you're just another dude who reads football without actually watching the match . I really dont have much to say , I've seen highlights of pele and I believe neymar go even match am on a normal day , abi neymar never almost break his Brazilian goal scoring records .

And what was the opposition your pele faced , dock workers, lumber men and regular Joe's

2 Likes

Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by gibzzhd: 6:40am On Aug 13, 2020
I guess we would all agree drogba is ivory coast best striker.
But by your standard if rating Messi I would say NO Bonny is because drogba couldn't lead them to win the AFCON.Bonny did.

Messi is the best and even maradona knows it

1 Like

Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by Beverlyjean(f): 7:16am On Aug 13, 2020
I stopped reading when u said he has taken them to more finals than any argentine player... so maradona that took then to bk to bk WC final and copa america final is then what?? It shows how biased u are... goals are personal records , winning trophies is ultimate... zidane is France's greatest player of all time because of he won their biggest trophy but henry is their highest goal scorer in history... scoring goals are excellent when u compliment those goals with trophies...

Will u prefer ighalo or osimhen to b the next world cups top scorer or for them not to score even a goal but Nigeria wins the WC??

The golden ball u mentioned is flawed because it's an election of which the hierarchy can manipulate because the fans dont witness vote counting... but winning a trophy is witnessed by fans ... the second most difficult international trophy to win is the euros because it's like the WC becos brazil is the only country that isn't European that has won it in the past 30 yrs , last being 20 yrs ago... the last time an European team failed to play in a WC final was 50 yrs ago...

Now messi cant inspire to win his continental trophy , now how can u determine that he can inspire another team to win trophies...

Messi fans are scared that he could flop at inter but they want man city because of their style of play... imagine Ronaldo in a man city or liverpool...

If messi wants to b at Barca all his career , good for him but pls dont say he is better than someone that has inspired teams ard Europe( 4) ... and yes, since iniesta and xavi left, he has failed to take barca to a CL final

And the Ibrahimovic that u are talking about, did he ever play for a weak team during his very active years?? Ajax, Juventus, inter, barca, milan , psg , man u, la galaxy, milan ... y dint messi join Valencia or Villarreal??
Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by Beverlyjean(f): 7:58am On Aug 13, 2020
obonujoker:

The mumu omitted Maradona taking Argentina to back to back finals....that's to show u these biased minions
Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by obonujoker(m): 8:05am On Aug 13, 2020
Beverlyjean:

The mumu omitted Maradona taking Argentina to back to back finals....that's to show u these biased minions

Barca fans like to degrade other players to raise theirs

1 Like

Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by D4donnn: 8:16am On Aug 13, 2020
obonujoker:

Apparently you have your facts screwed or somehow mixed up , maybe the term mumu is alright with y'all. I dont need to degrade anyone to make a point.

1 Like

Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by Beverlyjean(f): 8:17am On Aug 13, 2020
D4donnn:

Its certain that messi fans are not intelligent... an intelligent person would rather use zidane as an example...did giroud lead france to WC victory?? U guys are really dumb and dumber oooo... truly, those that support messi think like kids and not logical at alllll... it's not bad to stay in a club all ur career , players do that ...but claiming greatest in history is whr we have a problem... u cant b claiming greatest when ur achievements is limited to one club... compare messi with cruyff and di Stefano or even puskas... cruyff was highest goal scorer for ajax at a time and won 3 CL titles with them and also led Holland to their first final which they lost, di stefano won all types of titles with real Madrid and was highest goal scorer in la Liga history at some point and greatest la Liga player at a time but nothing for argentina... puskas led Hungary to their first WC final , highest goal scorer in the history of Hungarian football and has the second best goals per game ratio after Ronaldo in la Liga... these players dont claim greatest players of all time cos they literally played for one club all their lives( apart from puskas) and won nothing for their national teams ... those considered greatest of all time won for both club and country ... pele, Maradona, CR7 , zidane, ronaldinho , gert muller, Franz beckenbauer , van basten
Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by Beverlyjean(f): 8:28am On Aug 13, 2020
obonujoker:

Imagine ...he is even saying that pele played against long careers and plumbers .... this is what ronaldo fans will never do , pull down great players because of ronaldo... it's only messi fans that say he is better than pele and Maradona....imagine... messi hasn't even matched their goal records despite playing more games... maradona and pele scoring teams like italy , england , germany at knock out stages ... messi scoring Serbia, Nigeria ( half of his WC goals) Iran Bosnia without a single knockout goal ...and they u guys are comparing them with Olympics and junior world cup grin grin grin...u minions are deranged grin grin grin
Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by D4donnn: 8:37am On Aug 13, 2020
Beverlyjean:

Now let me address certain things . You've digressed this argument or debate to irrelevant facets.

1 for a start going by your analogy you're basically saying Jordan Henderson is a better player than Steven Gerrard because he motivated liverpool to win an epl , we both know they have UCL trophy.

2 I never said maradona didn't take them to finals , I simply said messi hasn't taken them to more .

3 you brought the issus of comparing the stats of zidane and Henry which rational person will compare the goals of a midfielder to that of an attacker especially someone as prolific as Henry. And if you have your facts right I think there's an argument that it was zidane who sabotaged Henry's chance to win a world cup irrespective of the circumstances , but your type probably didn't watch the match y'all rely on them say , goal.com or stats . If zidane has led France to win the finals you'd crowned him the hero , but because of his emotions that he couldn't put in check you're using it to blame henry who gave the game his all .

4 the talk about winning trophies , I always ask myself , why is it that most times the winners of certain trophies dont get awarded the mvps. Look at modric , van dijk, griezmann ( laliga best player ) . We all see conspiracies in everything but the simple truth is we mistakenly think we know better than people who spend their entire life in soccer , they breathe eat and live the game . Do you think you know about football more than Wenger mind you zidane came from his country and some other Brazilians who has picked messi as the best player , though that's not thr point .

5 my argument is simple , messi owes no one anything , and he doesn't need to leave Barcelona to prove a smelly point to someone who is not paying his bills. If I tell you to live your house and go to Sambisa for peace keeping your reply would probably " who you " or " who your help " . And you'd be right because you owe me nothing.

6 messi is exceptional , I dont wanna talk about luck or are you gonna say ronaldo inspired Portugal to win the euros from the stands , following his theatrics and antics , are you aware there was a point he was giving conflicting suggestions to the players with the coach and the coach had to shove him away codedly .

7. Maradona is a phenomenon
Pele is amazing
Messi is incredible
Ronaldo is equally great .

Everybody has a unique preference but dont come using some weak , illogical and completely unreasonable reasons to justify why your pick is better than the other .

Initially it was ronaldo then pele now its maradona , pretty soon its gonna be mbappe . If you wanna argue watch all four players, then tell me the goals pele was scoring at random , tell me if he could do it against the likes of them van dijk, Jimenez, Ramos, miranda or those his funny shots if he could score them against , allison and Oblak consistently. That dude was amazing but he was a specialist in exhibition matches against regular Joe's.

Maradona is great , I've seen highlights of him and his skills where mesmerizing . But mu personal preference will always remain messi because he does things you dont expect. Imagine comparing an attacker's playmaking stats to one of the best in the world at present de bruyne . Hmmm make i rest. Before it was laliga was too weak , there's always something y'all use to undermine his success.

1 Like

Re: MESSI! The Debate About Proving Himself Elsewhere... by D4donnn: 8:48am On Aug 13, 2020
Beverlyjean:

Its certain that messi fans are not intelligent... an intelligent person would rather use zidane as an example...did giroud lead france to WC victory?? U guys are really dumb and dumber oooo... truly, those that support messi think like kids and not logical at alllll... it's not bad to stay in a club all ur career , players do that ...but claiming greatest in history is whr we have a problem... u cant b claiming greatest when ur achievements is limited to one club... compare messi with cruyff and di Stefano or even puskas... cruyff was highest goal scorer for ajax at a time and won 3 CL titles with them and also led Holland to their first final which they lost, di stefano won all types of titles with real Madrid and was highest goal scorer in la Liga history at some point and greatest la Liga player at a time but nothing for argentina... puskas led Hungary to their first WC final , highest goal scorer in the history of Hungarian football and has the second best goals per game ratio after Ronaldo in la Liga... these players dont claim greatest players of all time cos they literally played for one club all their lives( apart from puskas) and won nothing for their national teams ... those considered greatest of all time won for both club and country ... pele, Maradona, CR7 , zidane, ronaldinho , gert muller, Franz beckenbauer , van basten

Oga clearly you have a problem with your reasoning faculty if you can't make a point without resorting to names calling I can see the clear evidence of your own dumbness .

You argue without reason , did anybody say the thread was meant for who is greatest or following your smelly analogy now , if pele was to come from, Rwanda and wasn't able to successfully motivate the mediocre cretins playing around him to any national trophy you'd still say he wasn't or can't be called a world beater or one of the greatest , e clear say something they wrong with the way you think .

You can give any justification for your argument , the thread was meant to ask a simply question, why does messi have to leave barcelona , you can't give a satisfactory answer so you spend the rest of your time and energy arguing on baseless things like national honor. So if a player wins only national honors without club honors what then , or a player that's fortunate to be in the right place at the right time , like them varane what then . You're probably gonna bring influence , so who them influenced or motivated France to win the last world cup .

Debating with your type is pointless because you only rile up others to justify the petty and baseless points you're trying to profer . I wish you best of luck sha , anyone you award your lifetime balloon d'or na your cross , since you be your personal fifa

(1) (2) (Reply)

Virtual / Nigerian Stars Hot In Bundesliga / Vuvuzelas: Good Or Bad?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.