Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,292 members, 7,829,668 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:18 AM

How I Spent My First Salary And 5 Lessons Learned - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / How I Spent My First Salary And 5 Lessons Learned (314 Views)

The Billion Dollar Presentation And 5 Marks Presentation: Photo / 5 Lessons I Learned From Email Marketing... / Differentiation And Importance: Salary And Investment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How I Spent My First Salary And 5 Lessons Learned by Nigeria2day(m): 3:03pm On Aug 12, 2020
When I saw the message that my first salary has been credited into my account, I was extremely happy. It was the kind of exceptional and satisfying feeling anyone who just started earning for the first time would have. Getting to this point has been a challenging one for me, with months of interviews, patient, and prayer. I was jumping in joy and planning earnestly how I was going to spend & and manage my fund wisely.

During my job hunting, I came across interesting books on personal finance and I also deemed it fit to follow some personal finance experts on social media. The likes of Arese Ugwu and Nancy Iloh were my muse. They have a way of breaking down everything you need to know about gaining financial freedom. I was determined to imbibe all that I have learned once I start earning.

How I learnt the Hard Way

I completed (NYSC) 2019 and during the course of my service, I was a spendthrift. I spent all my NYSC allowances on irrelevant things without any plan for the future. It got to a point that I plan what I will spend my allowance on before the money comes. I didn’t know the significance of saving. Even when I was posted to a private sector for my primary place of the assignment were, I was paid N15,000, I was still not able to save, the reason being that I have no basic idea of financial literacy. I spent all allowance on irrelevant things which I later regretted.

Some of my friends during the course of our service was able to save up 100-150 thousand naira. Some said they invested the money while others were able to start a small-scale business immediately we ended our service. I was really perplexed and ashamed when they told me their stories.

After that experience, I was forced to learn, unlearn, relearn. I told myself that I am going to take charge of my finances if I am opportune to get a job after my service. However, after a series of interviews, I was hired by a financial institution. I told myself that instead of making impulsive decisions and doing things that provide monetary satisfactions, I was going to strategise on how to make this new beginning worthwhile.

Here are the few things I did when I first received my first salary.

Read more here https://nigeriatodaynews.com/smartkobo-how-i-spent-my-first-salary-and-5-lessons-learned/

Re: How I Spent My First Salary And 5 Lessons Learned by Geestarry(f): 3:15pm On Aug 12, 2020
Great read.

Honest money conversations should be had more often.

(1) (Reply)

Tradesinvestors / Legit Website For Making Cool Cash / Amazon & Jumia Business Secrets Exposed ..cashout Now With This Info

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.