Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,373 members, 7,954,509 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:47 PM

The Curious Case Of The Fulani Fura Da Nono Seller - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Curious Case Of The Fulani Fura Da Nono Seller (348 Views)

The Curious Case Of First Bank / Nono Okeke Wins Spotlight Award In Ireland - The Highest In Central Bank / Man Makes N150,000 Daily From Selling 'Fura Da Nono' In Kaduna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Curious Case Of The Fulani Fura Da Nono Seller by chris2h(m): 12:24pm On Aug 13, 2020
Early last year, I was leaving the project office of an ad-hoc political project that I was linked with.

On my way home, a Fulani woman who sells Fura da Nono(Dried millet meal and local cows milk) called out to me in Hausa. "Yaro na, ka siya Fura na mana!" (My son buy my fura!). Ga fura. Fura mai dadi, nono mai kyau babu sami. Haba yaro siya mana! (See fura. Sweet fura with good Nono that isn't sour. My Son buy it now).

Of course, from her statements, anyone can tell that we know each other well. I was her regular customer for many years.

I smiled and replied to her in Hausa: "Mama, ki yi hakuri, ban da kudi yau. Watakila in Allah ya yarda zan siya furan gobe". ( Mama, don't be offended. If God wills it I will buy Fura tomorrow).

She replied to me in Hausa: " Haba yaro na!Ka siya, ka sha!Ko na marmari! Na san wei za ka iya! (My son, buy and drink it! Even if its just to satisfy your appetite! I know that you can do that!). Hearing this, I had no choice but to spend the last five hundred naira on me and I bought from her.

This story brings out several lessons for those who want to make sales.

This Fulani woman has way more intelligence when it comes to making sales than most educated people.

Firsty, I am a repeat customer. The familiar bond between us reduced the need for her to market her Fura and Nono.

Secondly, she roleplayed. The initiation of a mother-son conversation on her part was not a trick. It was a brilliant effort for her to get her customer to buy even though he didn't have much on him.

Thirdly, she appealed to my ego. That part of every human being that says" I am someone! I am important! I matter!".

I don't mean this in an arrogant way. I mean it in an empathetic way. She got to me via motherly instinct. And she made the sale!

Our fellow Nigerians who have entered the Nigerian direct response space do otherwise.

They dominate our collective imagination with the big figures and big ticket names.

This is fine. Don't get me wrong. A good name in branding works wonders. What I don't seem to get is why they need to exert themselves in their use of language.

Everything these people say is aggressive. They overuse sexualized terms. And the other thing that gets to me is the high-ticket nature of their products.

Their reasoning is that if you can't afford it then they don't care.

Guess what? I care both about the big guy and the little guy as well. It is why I know that Nigeria's best-selling product (Maggi cube) has had fantastic copywriters from day one.

It is also why I write these posts from time-to-time.

Don't get me wrong. I love high ticket sales. However, I love continuity more.

There is a saying in Hausa that says: " Ana wanke tukunya domin gobe" ( The pot is washed because of tomorrow).

My friends in the direct response industry in Nigeria don't wash their pots for tomorrow.

It is quite evident because they don't deliver value for free and then make the sale after for the real stuff.

If you have read through to this point, you have seen one or to things that you can take away and use.

Always wash your pot because of tomorrow.

Just like the Fulani Fura seller.

If you'd like to learn how to make more sales get in touch with me!

Find me on Facebook!

Let's talk!

I am not that hard to find

My name is Christopher Hamman CMP (UK).

I am a British-trained copywriter.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Sound Niger Used Cars On Hire Purchase / How To Make It Big As A Real Estate Agent And Manager / Surge In Demand Aggravates Container Scarcity In Asia.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.