Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,575 members, 7,816,420 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:58 AM

Today Is International Lefthanders Day. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Today Is International Lefthanders Day. (928 Views)

Happy International Lefthanders Day! / Today Is International Men's Day ! / Today Is International Women's Day 2018 ( Women Are Priceless) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Today Is International Lefthanders Day. by MANNABBQGRILLS: 12:36pm On Aug 13, 2020
International Left Handers Day is an international day observed annually on August 13 to celebrate the uniqueness and differences of the left handers.
The day was first observed in 1976 by Dean R. Campbell, founder of the Lefthanders International, Inc.

International Left Hander's Day was created to celebrate sinistrality and raise awareness of the advantages and disadvantages of being left-handed in a predominantly right-handed world.

It celebrates left-handed people’s uniqueness and differences, a subset of humanity comprising seven to ten percent of the world's population.
The day also spread awareness on issues faced by left-handers e.g. the importance of the special needs for left-handed children, and the likelihood for left-handers to develop schizophrenia.
There are approximately 708 million left-handed people in the world.
Men are more likely to be left handed than women.

International Left Handers Day is an international day observed annually on August 13 to celebrate the uniqueness and differences of the left hand.
The day was first observed in 1976 by Dean R. Campbell, founder of the Lefthanders International.

What do Barack Obama, George H.W. Bush, Oprah Winfrey and Lady Gaga have in common?

Aside from their philanthropy, popularity and all-around inspiration, they're also all left-handed.
So if you're a lefty, give yourself a round of applause. 

There have been eight U.S. presidents who were left-handed including: James Garfield, Herbert Hoover, Harry Truman, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama.

1 in 4 Apollo astronauts were left-handed, 250% more lefties than the normal level of probability for the group.

Studies show lefties adjust easier to seeing underwater and studies have found evidence linking left-handedness and intellectual creativity.

Lefties are better drivers according to a study from the Center for Handedness Research and The Zebra.
The study looked at the driving habits and accident rates of 1,500 drivers over 10 years and found that the left-handed drivers had fewer accidents. In addition, an AA Driving School poll found 57% of lefties pass their driving test the first time compared with 47% of righties.

A study found that right-handers, on average, live to be nine years older than left-handers.

The highest rates of left-handedness can be found in North America, Australia, New Zealand and western Europe. Whereas the lowest rates, between 4 and 6%, are found in Asia, Africa and South America.

Left-handed people are more affected by fear.
According to research conducted in the U.K., lefties gave more fragmented accounts when asked to recall events from a dramatic film clip.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/nation-world/international-left-handers-day-aug-13/507-e2704010-8ff7-4e10-adbd-bfc0bcf02dcd

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Lefthanders_Day

Seun, Mynd44, Dominique

1 Like

Re: Today Is International Lefthanders Day. by MANNABBQGRILLS: 12:37pm On Aug 13, 2020
Happy World left-handed/Lefthanders Day to all the LEFTIES out there.
Especially to 50% of us @[b][/b]
Re: Today Is International Lefthanders Day. by Vyzz: 12:40pm On Aug 13, 2020
post=92771797:
Especially to 50% of us @[b][/b] wink.

First of all...

You opened a thread and u are still dragging FTC with us... Don't u have conscience?...

All these APC guys...

cool

Let me not spoil the fun..

Shout out to all left handers....

Respect to Ycee my nigga

3 Likes

Re: Today Is International Lefthanders Day. by Amotolongbo(f): 12:41pm On Aug 13, 2020
Happy left handers’ day to my dad.
I wish I could take that trait from him.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today Is International Lefthanders Day. by MANNABBQGRILLS: 12:46pm On Aug 13, 2020
Amotolongbo:
God bless your Dad.
He must surely be a great man.
Do buy him a little gift today please.
Nothing is too small. wink
Re: Today Is International Lefthanders Day. by MikeBetty(m): 1:34pm On Aug 13, 2020
post=92772063:

God bless your Dad.
He must surely be a great man.
Do buy him a little gift today please.
Nothing is too small. wink
Who Go Buy For Me Na? I Have A Family Of Four, I, My Wife, My Son And My Little Daughter. My Wife Is The Odd Among Us With Right Hand. I The Proud Dad, My Son Of 3 And My Daughter Of 1 Are All Lefties. My Wife Tried To Stop them From Using Left But I Asked Her To Encourage Them. It Is Very Unique.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Today Is International Lefthanders Day. by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:37pm On Aug 13, 2020
MikeBetty:
Who Go Buy For Me Na? I Have A Family Of Four, I, My Wife, My Son And My Little Daughter. My Wife Is The Odd Among Us With Right Hand. I The Proud Dad, My Son Of 3 And My Daughter Of 1 Are All Lefties. My Wife Tried To Stop them From Using Left But I Asked Her Encourage Them. It Is Very Unique.
Wow!
Great!!
A wonderful and unique family you got sir!
God bless you for your family.
Re: Today Is International Lefthanders Day. by uboma(m): 1:39pm On Aug 13, 2020
MikeBetty:
Who Go Buy For Me Na? I Have A Family Of Four, I, My Wife, My Son And My Little Daughter. My Wife Is The Odd Among Us With Right Hand. I The Proud Dad, My Son Of 3 And My Daughter Of 1 Are All Lefties. My Wife Tried To Stop them From Using Left But I Asked Her Encourage Them. It Is Very Unique.

Good to hear that you did not discourage your son and daughter from using their left hands.

Some persons still think it is odd to allow a child to use his left hand.

I hope that the awareness will continue to spread to the grassroots.

Being a lefty does not one less a human.

Those who are lefties are great men and women.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today Is International Lefthanders Day. by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:48pm On Aug 13, 2020
uboma:

Good to hear that you did not discourage your son and daughter from using their left hands.

@the bolded.
You can say that again Chief Uboma!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Today Is International Lefthanders Day. by mhmsadyq(m): 1:49pm On Aug 13, 2020
post=92771797:
Especially to 50% of us @[b][/b]

Proudly a lefthander!

That okward moment when someone asks, so you be lefty?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Today Is International Lefthanders Day. by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:54pm On Aug 13, 2020
mhmsadyq:

Proudly a lefthander!

That okward moment when someone asks, so you be lefty?
Lol wink
Very awkward moments bro!
Re: Today Is International Lefthanders Day. by MikeBetty(m): 1:55pm On Aug 13, 2020
uboma:

It Is Archaic And Anachronistic Imposing Right Hand On Children. It Got To A Stage I Was Confused To The Extent I Felt Humilated By Elders Who Will Always Tell You How Disrespectful I Was Just For Receiving Or Giving Them Something With Left Hand As A Child.

1 Like

Re: Today Is International Lefthanders Day. by MikeBetty(m): 2:02pm On Aug 13, 2020
post=92773796:

Wow!
Great!!
A wonderful and unique family you got sir!
God bless you for your family.
Amen. I'm Filled With Joy Seeing My Beautiful Angel Throwing Objects With Her Left Hand. My Son Doesn't Miss Target While Throwing Stone. I Dearly Love Them That Way.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today Is International Lefthanders Day. by uboma(m): 2:03pm On Aug 13, 2020
MikeBetty:
It Is Archaic And Anachronistic Imposing Right Hand On Children. It Got To A Stage I Was Confused To The Extent I Felt Humilated By Elders Who Will Always Tell You How Disrespectful I Was Just For Receiving Or Giving Them Something With Left Hand As A Child.

Exactly!

Let's continue to spread the awareness, hopefully we will get there someday.
Re: Today Is International Lefthanders Day. by uboma(m): 2:06pm On Aug 13, 2020
post=92774201:

@the bolded.
You can say that again Chief Uboma!

Thank you Sir for creating this thread.

Let's continue to celebrate those who are lefties.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Today Is International Lefthanders Day. by TheCork(m): 2:09pm On Aug 13, 2020
Amotolongbo:

U sound like wifey material ..can I buy u two goat in return for warm kiss & tight hug...today? cheesy
Re: Today Is International Lefthanders Day. by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:17pm On Aug 13, 2020
uboma:

Thank you Sir for creating this thread.

Let's continue to celebrate those who are lefties.
You are always welcome.
Lefties will continue to be celebrated everyday.
They are wonderful and intelligent people.

Btw,
We are not sir o!
We are simply WE!
Re: Today Is International Lefthanders Day. by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:17pm On Aug 13, 2020
TheCork:

U sound like wifey material ..can I buy u two goat in return for warm kiss & tight hug...today? cheesy
Hmmmm, here we go!
Mr Cork don come again with him own o!!

1 Share

Re: Today Is International Lefthanders Day. by Nobody: 2:28pm On Aug 13, 2020
This should be on front page. The society should learn to accept and live with lefthanders
Re: Today Is International Lefthanders Day. by Lamanii22(f): 3:34pm On Aug 13, 2020
Can a left-handed person use his/her left hand to eat swallow Although I always wish I was left-handed.... There's this uniqueness innit
Re: Today Is International Lefthanders Day. by Aimerosa25(f): 3:40pm On Aug 13, 2020
I wish I was left handed, it's so cute, some of my friends are left handed,even Juice Wrld ( late) was left handed.
Re: Today Is International Lefthanders Day. by NtiObaEneke(f): 3:46pm On Aug 13, 2020
So left hand has a day too?
Re: Today Is International Lefthanders Day. by Omoluabi16(m): 6:07pm On Aug 13, 2020
Lamanii22:
Can a left-handed person use his/her left hand to eat swallow Although I always wish I was left-handed.... There's this uniqueness innit
I'm left handed. I use my left hand eat-spoon and swallow. Are you a twin btw?

1 Like

Re: Today Is International Lefthanders Day. by Omoluabi16(m): 6:09pm On Aug 13, 2020
NtiObaEneke:
So left hand has a day too?
We should. Do you know the stigma associated with the left hand? angry
Re: Today Is International Lefthanders Day. by Amotolongbo(f): 7:27pm On Aug 13, 2020
TheCork:

send the goats

And the kiss and tight hug will be yours

(1) (2) (Reply)

Another Wonders! Born With Two Heads! / Mother Or Wife? / If You Were An. . .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.