Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,041 members, 7,828,661 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

Tension In Enugu As Inec Publish Onwuebu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tension In Enugu As Inec Publish Onwuebu (868 Views)

Catholic Church And Houses Burnt In Enugu As Fulani Herdsmen Invade Communities / Buhari Swars-In Mahmud Yakubu As INEC Chairman / Deadlock As INEC Recs Give Jega Conditions For Poll Shift - PremiumTimes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tension In Enugu As Inec Publish Onwuebu by EVANS4GOD(m): 12:16am On Feb 15, 2011
There was tension and confusion in Enugu yesterday following the publication of the name of Mr. Anayo Onwuegbu, as the Enugu PDP gubernatorial candidate for the April general elections, by the Independent Electoral Commission INEC.
The listing of Onwuegbu as candidate produced by the former PDP national chairman, Dr. Okwesilieze Nwodo’s faction of the party in the state was coming few days after the PDP leadership at a zonal rally in Enugu handed over the party’s flag to Governor Sullivan Chime.

The development led to confusion as people
trooped out to INEC office along Achi Street, Independence Layout to see for themselves and confirm the true situation of things.

A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja had
last month restrained the the PDP and INEC from submitting and publishing the name of Governor Sullivan Chime as the party’s candidate for the April governorship candidate pending the determination of the suit filed by his rival for the ticket, Mr. Anayo Onwuegbu.

The court president over by Justice Kafarati also ordered INEC and PDP
to recognize the plaintiff as the PDP Governorship candidate in Enugu State pending the determination of his suit.
But in defiance to the order, INEC displayed Chime’s name as the PDP Candidate f on Monday last week.
Afraid to incur the wrath of the court, the electoral body subsequently withdrew
the entire list of gubernatorial candidates of all the parties the following day.

Although the list for the National Assembly candidates had not been displayed at their various constituencies in accordance with the constitution, a source in INEC told our correspondent that the names of Deputy Senate
President, Chief Ike Ekweremadu and Senate Committee chairman on
Information, Ayogu Eze were also replaced with that of the former Director General of Nigerian Maritime Authority (NMA), John Egesi and a former member of the House of Representatives, Hon Frank Ugwu.

When contacted, the Resident Electoral Commissioner in Enugu State, Chief Josiah Uwazuruonye said the pasting of Onwuegbu’s name was sequel to the court restrain it from recognizing Chime as the candidate of the PDP for this year,s election in the state.
“INEC displayed Onwuegbu’s name because of a court oder. The pasting of the name
is more or less to obey the court order in the interim, if the court decides otherwise tomorrow, INEC would recognize whoever the court picks.”
Reacting on behalf of the government, the Senior Special Assistant to
Governor Chime on Media, Barrister Chukwudi Achife said it was absurd
and cannot stand, adding that it would be vigorously and seriously challenged.
Re: Tension In Enugu As Inec Publish Onwuebu by spyder880(m): 12:31am On Feb 15, 2011
This must be the handwork of political calculators like Chimaroke. He wants a weak candidate in PDP so he could easily knock him down with Dan Sherre.
But if PDP fields Onwuegbu, they should forget Enugu. I wonder if Sullivan can switch to another party now, is it too late?
Re: Tension In Enugu As Inec Publish Onwuebu by EVANS4GOD(m): 12:42am On Feb 15, 2011
yes my broter is like you are in enugu that is true and he cant suceed
Re: Tension In Enugu As Inec Publish Onwuebu by bashr4: 12:49am On Feb 15, 2011
east don suffer , so chimaroke no wan good thing for enugu people again , well pdp might as well forget enugu state, i iwish sullivan can switch to acn or apga
Re: Tension In Enugu As Inec Publish Onwuebu by udezue(m): 1:00am On Feb 15, 2011
Sullivan by now shoud be with APGA
Re: Tension In Enugu As Inec Publish Onwuebu by jason123: 1:04am On Feb 15, 2011
bashr4:

east don suffer , so chimaroke no wan good thing for enugu people again , well pdp might as well forget enugu state, [b]i iwish sullivan can switch to acn [/b]or apga

May God bless you! wink
Re: Tension In Enugu As Inec Publish Onwuebu by trueword: 6:38am On Feb 15, 2011
This is really bad news. What options does Chime have now?

I think he should have switched to APGA or ACN or some other party when he and Nwodo were arguing and it seemed like it may get in the way of him getting the party ticket.

But what about the recent declaration the party made that Chime would be on their ticket. Doesn't that factor in somewhere?
Re: Tension In Enugu As Inec Publish Onwuebu by spyder880(m): 6:47am On Feb 15, 2011
trueword:

This is really bad news. What options does Chime have now?

I think he should have switched to APGA or ACN or some other party when he and Nwodo were arguing and it seemed like it may get in the way of him getting the party ticket.

But what about the recent declaration the party made that Chime would be on their ticket. Doesn't that factor in somewhere?

The declaration was only ceremonial, the real power lies with the courts and their rulings.
Re: Tension In Enugu As Inec Publish Onwuebu by trueword: 8:11am On Feb 15, 2011
spyder880:

The declaration was only ceremonial, the real power lies with the courts and their rulings.

But can't the party deny Onwuebu as being their flagbearer. I'm hopin Chime will fight this in court. If the party has chosen their flagbearer don't the courts have to respect that decision?

But how did this guy Onwuebu come out anyways. Did Chime not contest in the primaries or what?
Re: Tension In Enugu As Inec Publish Onwuebu by Chyz2: 8:24am On Feb 15, 2011
trueword:

But can't the party deny Onwuebu as being their flagbearer. I'm hopin Chime will fight this in court. If the party has chosen their flagbearer don't the courts have to respect that decision?

But how did this guy Onwuebu come out anyways. Did Chime not contest in the primaries or what?

There was no primary(if i'm not mistaking).
Re: Tension In Enugu As Inec Publish Onwuebu by trueword: 9:19am On Feb 15, 2011
Chyz*:

There was no primary(if i'm not mistaking).

If that is the case, I wonder the basis the court used to award Onwuebu as the PDP candidate. And if it is something Chime can challenge and reverse.

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Will Defeat Jonathan In South South / Ibori’s Uk Lawyer Sentenced To 7 Years In Prison / Nigerian First Lady speaks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.