Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,963 members, 7,952,885 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:47 AM

Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment (28696 Views)

Defection: Court Fixes April 11 For Judgment In Suit Seeking Dogara’s Sack / Bayelsa Governorship: Crowd Welcome David Lyon To Bayelsa / Buhari Closes Case, Tribunal Fixes Aug 21 For Final Arguments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by Dansuqi: 11:35pm On Aug 13, 2020
Fear and apprehension have gripped the people of Bayelsa as the State Governorship Petition Tribunal sitting in Abuja has set Saturday, August 15, 2020, to deliver judgment.

The day is set for judgment in the case between Vijah Opuama vs Independent National Electoral Commission, People’s Democratic Party, Senator Douye Diri and Senator Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo.

The petitioner, Vijah Opuama, of the Liberation Movement had filed his petition on February 21, 2020 challenging the declaration of His Excellency, Douye Diri and Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo as governor and deputy governor respectively in Bayelsa State.

Opuamah’s case commenced like a joke immediately the Supreme Court declared Diri the winner of the November 16, 2019 governorship election following the disqualification of the Governor-elect, David Lyon.

The case, packaged by three young lawyers, Ebikebuna Aluzu, Pius Danba and Ebi Robert, was dismissed initially by most PDP leaders as dead on arrival, until careful scrutiny of the processes filed by the lawyers indicated otherwise.

Opuama is seeking the disqualification of Ewhrudjakpo on the grounds of irregularities in his academic qualifications and the cancellation of the governorship election.

He also prayed the court to order a fresh election in Bayelsa, alleging that the poll conducted by the INEC failed to comply with the provisions of the 1999 Constitution as amended.

Upon the close of pleadings and adoption of addresses by all the parties concerned, the tribunal had adjourned for judgment on a date to be communicated to all the parties.

Read Also: Court stops lawmaker’s suspension
But since the judgment day was made public, anxiety seems to have pervaded the state, particularly the PDP family of what the likely outcome would be.

It was learnt that the government was not leaving anything to chance considering what happened to David Lyon 24 hours to his inauguration.

A politician and indigene of the state, Christopher Abarowei, said the matter had an equal chance to the petitioner and the respondent.

He said his major concern was that litigants should allow governance progress in the state instead of unnecessary litigations that were stifling infrastructure development.

He said because of litigations, Governor Diri had not actually hit the ground running as he had been busy attending to one court case or another.

Reacting to the coming judgment, the state’s deputy governor, Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo, said there was nothing to be afraid of concerning the judgment.

The deputy governor, who spoke through his media aide, Doubara Atasi, said he believed that judiciary would do the right thing.

He stated: “My principal (Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo) remains unruffled. There is nothing to be afraid of concerning the judgment.

“I believe that the judiciary will do the right thing and as far as the right thing is done, there is nothing to be afraid of.”

https://thenationonlineng.net/bayelsa-guber-election-fear-anxiety-as-tribunal-delivers-judgment-saturday/

2 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by Dansuqi: 11:36pm On Aug 13, 2020
I think that of other parties will also be delivered on that day.from the submissions,I foresee the tribunal sacking diri...pastor diriyai might just be the next governor

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by shugabasbn: 11:44pm On Aug 13, 2020
Double wahala.
I don't see anything positive from the sitting

5 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by tribalmall: 11:52pm On Aug 13, 2020
Au revoir Pandemic Development Party.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by Dansuqi: 11:55pm On Aug 13, 2020
shugabasbn:
Double wahala.
I don't see anything positive from the sitting

I see double positivity

7 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by Dansuqi: 11:58pm On Aug 13, 2020
Both apc and pdp might just end up losing bayelsa...the recent judgment of the appeal court nullifying inec deregistration of some parties is another blow to pdp.the only mistake I see in the petitioners case if in their prayers.they should have asked that diri be sacked and the next party that satisfied the statutory conditions be sworn in not calling for fresh polls.hopefully,it won't be fatal

11 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by bayelsaowei(m): 12:39am On Aug 14, 2020
Dansuqi:
Both apc and pdp might just end up losing bayelsa...the recent judgment of the appeal court nullifying inec deregistration of some parties is another blow to pdp.the only mistake I see in the petitioners case if in their prayers.they should have asked that diri be sacked and the next party that satisfied the statutory conditions be sworn in not calling for fresh polls.hopefully,it won't be fatal
if both parties lose that would be a very good thing..bayelsa needs a fresh start with fresh heads.. i am sick and tired of the pdp and apc madness.. that diri is nothing but a puppet to seriake dickson and I don't see how he would deliver anything for the state..bayelsa state is at an all time low..dickson ran that state down completely..

I don tire..

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by slivertongue: 12:46am On Aug 14, 2020
nothing go change.
Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by cenaman(m): 1:24am On Aug 14, 2020
No comments by me since APC was cheated out of Bayelsa state government house.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by AAA593: 3:16am On Aug 14, 2020
Dansuqi:
I think that of other parties will also be delivered on that day.from the submissions,I foresee the tribunal sacking diri...pastor diriyai might just be the next governor
Sack for what? APC boys have started again

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by AAA593: 3:19am On Aug 14, 2020
Dansuqi:
There are two conflicting appeal court judgements about it. The tribunal will choose the one favouring you abi?

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by AAA593: 3:26am On Aug 14, 2020
Dansuqi:
So you think that sponsored opuama proved anything at the tribunal? Just stay close to oxygen during the judgment in case of heart attack

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by IgbalodeRaymond: 5:38am On Aug 14, 2020
this senatordave1 aka dansuqi and his useless analysis sef grin

5 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by BlowYourMind: 5:41am On Aug 14, 2020
Nothing will happen, unless it is not Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by helinues: 5:43am On Aug 14, 2020
Probably formality..

Reversing the case will cause lots of trouble and confusion

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by colorsofrainbow: 6:13am On Aug 14, 2020
Dansuqi:
Fear and apprehension have gripped the people of Bayelsa as the State Governorship Petition Tribunal sitting in Abuja has set Saturday, August 15, 2020, to deliver judgment.
the way this Tinubu newsline reports political happenings especially when it concerns PDP eh...like say Bayelsa as a state dey hiding place grin cheesy
No be only fear,what of the state panicking

11 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by ruggedtimi(m): 6:18am On Aug 14, 2020
fear and apprehension have gripped who? ....PDP and Diri's gang go still come out victorious.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by Dansuqi: 6:40am On Aug 14, 2020
AAA593:

There are two conflicting appeal court judgements about it. The tribunal will choose the one favouring you abi?

The most concurrent one subsits
Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by Dansuqi: 6:41am On Aug 14, 2020
helinues:
Probably formality..

Reversing the case will cause lots of trouble and confusion

Does it matter? They started it and must end it

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by Karemarealty288(m): 6:43am On Aug 14, 2020
They no just want this man to balance..
Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by Eriokanmi: 6:50am On Aug 14, 2020
Dansuqi:

The day is set for judgment in the case between Vijah Opuama vs Independent National Electoral Commission, People’s Democratic Party, Senator Douye Diri and Senator Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo.

The petitioner, Vijah Opuama, of the Liberation Movement had filed his petition on February 21, 2020 challenging the declaration of His Excellency, Douye Diri and Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo as governor and deputy governor respectively in Bayelsa State.

Opuamah’s case commenced like a joke immediately the Supreme Court declared Diri the winner of the November 16, 2019 governorship election following the disqualification of the Governor-elect, David Lyon.

The case, packaged by three young lawyers, Ebikebuna Aluzu, Pius Danba and Ebi Robert, was dismissed initially by most PDP leaders as dead on arrival, until careful scrutiny of the processes filed by the lawyers indicated otherwise.

Opuama is seeking the disqualification of Ewhrudjakpo on the grounds of irregularities in his academic qualifications and the cancellation of the governorship election.

He also prayed the court to order a fresh election in Bayelsa, alleging that the poll conducted by the INEC failed to comply with the provisions of the 1999 Constitution as amended.

Upon the close of pleadings and adoption of addresses by all the parties concerned, the tribunal had adjourned for judgment on a date to be communicated to all the parties.

Read Also: Court stops lawmaker’s suspension
But since the judgment day was made public, anxiety seems to have pervaded the state, particularly the PDP family of what the likely outcome would be.

It was learnt that the government was not leaving anything to chance considering what happened to David Lyon 24 hours to his inauguration.

A politician and indigene of the state, Christopher Abarowei, said the matter had an equal chance to the petitioner and the respondent.

He said his major concern was that litigants should allow governance progress in the state instead of unnecessary litigations that were stifling infrastructure development.

He said because of litigations, Governor Diri had not actually hit the ground running as he had been busy attending to one court case or another.

Reacting to the coming judgment, the state’s deputy governor, Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo, said there was nothing to be afraid of concerning the judgment.
The deputy governor, who spoke through his media aide, Doubara Atasi, said he believed that judiciary would do the right thing.

He stated: “My principal (Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo) remains unruffled. There is nothing to be afraid of concerning the judgment.

“I believe that the judiciary will do the right thing and as far as the right thing is done, there is nothing to be afraid of.”
https://thenationonlineng.net/bayelsa-guber-election-fear-anxiety-as-tribunal-delivers-judgment-saturday/

Mynd44
Lalasticlala
Fergie
Aaa593
Bayelsaowei
Vicdom
Obuksbayelsa
Helinues
Hisexcellency
Afroknight
Duwdu
Ejimatic
Eriokanmi
Ruggedtimi
why mentioning me here na? One, I'm not from bayelsa and secondly, I'm not a pdp man. My support for obaseki doesn't make me pdp even though edo is traditionally pdp. Had Oshomole not disqualified him, he would have remained in the apc and we would have voted him under same apc. I foresee court cases after obaseki's win but he would scale all hurdles because his matter isn't same as what's obtainable in bayelsa and I'd tell you why.

I've profiled obaseki before I supported him. People were just making needless noise on his certificate. UI admitted with an HSC result in their time. It was higher than WAEC. it's like the IJMB of that time. If you possess an IJMB result without waec, any university in Nigeria would admit you today. UI confirmed he schooled there and graduated. If he presented a result with 3 credit passes to inec during registration this time, that doesn't disqualify him in any way. They claimed he didn't have waec so he did the needful. Dapo Abiodin,the Ogun Governor first submitted his OAU Engineering Degree certificate when he first entered ogun politics to inec, but when he wanted to contest last year, he submitted only waec result. Did that disqualify him? NO. With Primary 6 result, you can contest for governorship in Nigeria. Waec isn't an equivalent of HSC Certificate, take note. The latter is higher and recognised by all universities in his time. Up till 2010, FUT Minna admitted with 4 credit passes. Requirements for admission in those days are different from what we have nowadays. Go and ask oshiomohle, he didn't have a secondary school cert. He only had primary six with a trade test certificate yet he qualified as governor. Also, the NYSC Certificate issue wasn't any issue. The issuing body had corrected the typo error and reissued it to him. Anyone who's not cool with that can sue both the nysc and obaseki in court and that's the beauty of democracy.

The reason we still throw our wits behind him has been that he's the candidate to beat, given his achievement in edo, ideas and personality. Even if obaseki had gone to Labour party instead of the pdp to contest we would have gone with him and that still doesn't make me a labour party man. We're talking of personality here and not party. When we say edo isn't lagos or any other state, we mean our words. We don't vote along party lines. Rather we vote personality. Even when it's glaring that edo was unrepentant PDP, we voted oshiomohle who didn't even have up to 5m naira in his account as at the time he was contesting. People donated overwhelmingly to print shirts, campaign posters etc for him without expecting anything in return. The pdp candidate then had all the money to throw away. We collected his money and cleaned mouth.

Most of us voted buhari not because of apc but because of his personality. Left to the party's formation and all the morons making up the structure, no single vote of mine and that of my family would ever have gone to the apc. Once buhari leaves, no single individual has his kind of pedigree in the party anymore, the party collapses. Those thinking tinubu would succeed buhari, I wish them luck. They had better begin to look inwards for a better candidate now. Yoruba is just a part of nigeria and only the region's vote can't elect their candidate. That's why they should drop tinubu if they must win. Hope you know my position now. If they like let them sack bayelsa governor, e no concern me. Good morning.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by Dansuqi: 6:53am On Aug 14, 2020
slivertongue:
nothing go change.

Why are you so two faced and full of double standard? Your hatred for apc is highly ridiculous
Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by Dansuqi: 6:54am On Aug 14, 2020
Karemarealty288:
They no just want this man to balance..

He will battle with court cases for ever.shey he came through court cases

2 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by wingmanIII: 7:11am On Aug 14, 2020
Dansuqi:

He will battle with court cases for ever.shey he came through court cases
Just like the useless supreme court governor of Imo state.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by OneDollarSalary(m): 7:18am On Aug 14, 2020
IgbalodeRaymond:
this senatordave1 aka dansuqi and his useless analysis sef grin

Even if the entire nation is in chaos and both his parents are killed by buhari foot soldiers (fulani jihadists) he will never bother and has no problem with that. All he knows is election and Apc, how Apc is going to use federal mighty and thugs to win election.

Have you ever seen him write on the state of the nation; the insecurity and the killings going on in southern kaduna and other places?

What do one expect from someone that love buhari and Apc?

Charge and bail lawyer for you.

3 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by Dansuqi: 7:20am On Aug 14, 2020
OneDollarSalary:

Even if the entire nation is in chaos and both his parents are killed by buhari foot soldiers (fulani jihadists) he will never bother and has no problem with that. All he knows is election and Apc, how Apc is going to use federal mighty and thugs to win election.

Have you ever seen him write on the state of the nation; the insecurity and the killings going on in southern kaduna and other places?

Up buhari,down diri
Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by OneDollarSalary(m): 7:25am On Aug 14, 2020
Dansuqi:

Up buhari,down diri
Do I look like someone who support any political party or sing praises for politicians?
I understand your flight my man, man must chop. But do it with conscience.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by Dansuqi: 7:26am On Aug 14, 2020
OneDollarSalary:

Do I look like someone who support any political party or sing praises for politicians?
I understand your flight my man, man must chop. But do it with conscience.

I am a conscientious fellow.both apc and pdp fumbled and must lose bayelsa
Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by Nobody: 7:44am On Aug 14, 2020
[color=#000099][/color]bayelsa again!!

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by IgbalodeRaymond: 8:10am On Aug 14, 2020
OneDollarSalary:

ohhh he's a lawyer
i doubt
lawyers are supposed to be smart
Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by OneDollarSalary(m): 8:12am On Aug 14, 2020
IgbalodeRaymond:
ohhh he's a lawyer i doubt lawyers are supposed to be smart
Charge and bail lawyer.
Re: Bayelsa Governorship Election: Tribunal Fixes Saturday For Judgment by IgbalodeRaymond: 8:14am On Aug 14, 2020
OneDollarSalary:

Charge and bail lawyer.
even charge and bail lawyers are not that dumb

abi his nickname na lawyer?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kankara Schoolboys Reunite With Their Parents (Pix) / Minister Of Interior Tunji-Ojo Commissions Fire Engines, Rapid Response Vehicles / Ihedioha: Mass Resignation Hits Imo PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.