Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

Our Effort Towards Rebranding ALGON Positively Remain Unchanged --Nat. President - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Our Effort Towards Rebranding ALGON Positively Remain Unchanged --Nat. President (191 Views)

NITDA: Pantami Charges Agency To Redouble Effort Towards IT Promotion / N500b COVID-19 Fund: Senate Bars Journalists From Nat. Assembly(Photos) / Police salaries unchanged 10 months after FG-approved increment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Our Effort Towards Rebranding ALGON Positively Remain Unchanged --Nat. President by captaincaleb(m): 11:20am On Aug 14, 2020
Association of Local Governments of Nigeria (ALGON) held her EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEETING yesterday THURSDAY 13TH OF AUGUST, 2020 IN ABUJA.

The meeting which was the first after the outbreak of COVID19 in the country few months ago, the Association led by Honourable Alabi Kolade David was back on working effectively to position ALGON to its benefitted height.

According to the National President Alabi Kolade David, "Our efforts towards rebranding the narrative of ALGON positively remain unchanged", he said.

Below is the full speech of the National President Association of Local Governments of Nigeria (ALGON):

SPEECH DELIVERED BY THE ALGON NATIONAL PRESIDENT, HON. ALABI KOLADE DAVID AT THE ASSOCIATION NATIONAL EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON THURSDAY 13TH OF AUGUST, 2020 IN ABUJA.

Honourable Colleagues, all praises to Almighty God for His mercies and continued benevolence to have seen us through the CORONA VIRUS PANDEMIC that plagued our Nation in the last 6 months or so! Let me also acknowledge the tremendous Grace of Allah that has enabled us to observe the Eid-Il-Kabir in good health!!

It is on that note that I warmly welcome you to Abuja for yet another NEC meeting.

My beloved Colleagues, when the mantle of leadership fell on me by the grace of God and your exceptional show of love towards me, I promised to change the narratives from the unpleasant doldrums to raising the bar for effective beneficial governance at the grassroots.

ALGON HOUSE

I profoundly acknowledge with deep appreciation, our legal team both external and internal for their professional dexterity to retrieve the ALGON HOUSE here in Maitama-Abuja by a unanimous decision of the Hon. Justices of the High Court of Abuja. Their conclusive words in their judgment are damning of the high level fraud perpetrated against the body of ALGON. Please see the copy of the High Court judgment.

EUROPEAN UNION

We have equally maintained our follow up, collaboration and synergy with the United Cities and Local Governments-Africa, (UCLG Africa) and that of the European Union have been established.

I wish to further bring to your notice some other concerns already placed in the front-burner for Local Councils to be treated as "State Actors" before the Federal Government for consideration and upward review.

ALGON as well as other members of UCLG Africa, having been recognized as State Actors, have the unique opportunity to now participate in the dialogue with the EUD, representatives of the Federal Government in the formulation and execution of agreed programmes. The consultant, if time permits, will brief NEC on progress so far.

REVIEW OF ALLOCATION FORMULA

We have also been invited to present our memorandum on the review of Revenue Allocation Formula by the Revenue Mobilization Allocation and Fiscal Commission (RAMFAC)

Review of the fiscal Revenue Allocation Formula viz –
a) FEDERAL GOVERNMENT: 52.68%.
b) STATE GOVERNMENT: 26.72%.
c) LOCAL GOVERNMENTS: 20.60%.
We have so much in our hands to contend with and the paltry sum allocated is grossly inadequate!!

ALGON INVESTEMENTS
The Nigeria Investment Authority "NSIA" Seed Capital of $1.25Billion with current ownership structure which is as follows:
a) Federal Government: 45.83%.
b) State Governments: 36.25%.
c) Local Governments: 17.76%.

Also not forgetting our shareholding structures in The Nigeria Delta Power Holdings

LOCAL GOVERNMENT RECOVERY
Many thanks to Dr. Okey Odey whose zeal, propensity and determination to retrieve our accruable Paris Club Funds over the years from the Federal Government to ALGON indeed is commendable with assurances that all shall be well very soon.
The consultant is also here to give us a brief.

IN CONCLUSION

I also quip to advise that we take advantage of the proposal of the consultant, Dr. Kingsley Esegbue on TV Licenses Fees collection services lucidly enumerated to improve our Internally Generated Revenue at the Local Governments, more so with our lean purse caused by this new-normal brought about by Covid-19 Pandemic

With all intent and purposes, I am assiduously deploying all reasonable, diligent and legal means aimed at the aforementioned instances, secure the release of ALL accrued benefits over the years to the Local Governments throughout the Federation. The details of extent of pursuance shall be made available as we progress on the matter.

Your continued support, I crave as always.

Thank you ALL.

Hon. Alabi Kolade David
National President

Re: Our Effort Towards Rebranding ALGON Positively Remain Unchanged --Nat. President by captaincaleb(m): 11:23am On Aug 14, 2020
More pictures

(1) (Reply)

Opinion: Suspension-anambra Monarchs Deserve Worse / Timi Frank’s Red Herring By Richard Akinola / Aisha Buhari Speaks On Escaping Plane Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.