Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,401 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:36 AM

Project: Supercharging An LR3 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Project: Supercharging An LR3 (4851 Views)

For Sale!!! Land Rover Lr3. No Fault / LR3 Remote Control Not Lock And Unlock Doors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Project: Supercharging An LR3 by LeJeun3: 1:16am On Aug 17, 2020

So this project has never really be done, maybe I havent found one or whoever did it was not documented....

So the LR3 started in 2005 a continuation of the Discovery series (Discovery I, II) which came with the following specs ....

ENGINE
Type: V-8, aluminum block and heads
Bore x stroke: 3.46 x 3.56 in, 88.0 x 90.3mm
Displacement: 268 cu in, 4394cc
Compression ratio: 10.8:1
Fuel-delivery system: port injection
Valve gear: chain-driven double overhead cams, 4 valves
per cylinder, variable intake-valve timing
Power (SAE net): 300 bhp @ 5500 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 315 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
Redline: 6200 rpm

DRIVETRAIN
Transmission: 6-speed automatic with manumatic shifting
Final-drive ratio: 3.73:1
4-wheel-drive system: full-time 2-speed with electronically
controlled limited-slip center and rear
differentials and open front differential with
brake-based traction and hill-descent control

These are the 2 important parts for me....

Supercharging is the process of Supplying the intake of an engine with air at a density greater than the density of the surrounding atmosphere

1 Share

Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by kunki90(m): 1:30am On Aug 17, 2020
Alexa play me “Obesere - egungun be careful, na express you dey go” cheesy

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by LeJeun3: 1:38am On Aug 17, 2020

I would have loved to and most people would say why not just buy an LR4....

LR4 V8 5.0L 375HP
LR4 V6 SC 340HP

However, the 4.2L Supercharged engine fitted in Range Rover Sport (2006-2009) produced a massive 390HP, talk of more power. So I even though I love the Sport, the off road and space capabilities of the LR3 are on the different levels. The LR3 spits out a miserly 300HP.

Possibly end the project with giving the LR3 a mean look, so it stands out.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by LeJeun3: 1:59am On Aug 17, 2020

I currently own a 2007 Range Rover Sport HSE, which I built more or less from the scratch.....

- Engine (standard 4.4L)
- Transmission (transmission remapped)
- Brembo Brake calipers
- Rebuilt Air suspension system
- Arnot air springs
- Standard ride height stands at about 12"
- 22" rim
- and several other minute mods here and there.

Car still runs quietly and without any issues except due maintenance..

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 2:32am On Aug 17, 2020
I come with kola, schnapps and native chalk to view this thread cool

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by EgunMogaji2: 3:49am On Aug 17, 2020
Innocent question, is the lousy low octane petrol we have in Naija a good fit for forced induction?

1 Like

Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by LeJeun3: 10:20am On Aug 17, 2020
EgunMogaji2:
Innocent question, is the lousy low octane petrol we have in Naija a good fit for forced induction?

Well it's been an issue, but with octane Booster we have kept quite a whole lot on the road.

Interesting the from 2014 upwards, Range Rover discontinued the V8 5.0L and have stuck to the V6 SC engine ....

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by LeJeun3: 10:25am On Aug 17, 2020

Note:

1. If I were to bolt on a supercharger on the 4.4L engine, it won't work for one main reason. The 4.4L block and 4.2L block are almost identical except for one thing. The 4.2L block has smaller displacent due to the thicker , stronger cyl liners made epecialy for boost applications. The 4.4L has too thin of cyl walls to supercharge it .....safely and reliably. If I could try and do it but the engine would not live very long. The structural intergity of the liners wont hold up to even marginal boost pressure. they would crack. also the rings used on the 4.4 L pistons differ from the 4.2 ones again so they can handle the added pressure.

2. Buying an LR4 is out not really an option because I am on a budget and I want to use what I have at hand...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by LeJeun3: 10:26am On Aug 17, 2020
MASTAkiLLAh:
I come with kola, schnapps and native chalk to view this thread cool

Well come

1 Like

Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by EgunMogaji2: 10:30am On Aug 17, 2020
LeJeun3:

Well it's been an issue, but with octane Booster we have kept quite a whole lot on the road.

Interesting the from 2014 upwards, Range Rover discontinued the V8 5.0L and have stuck to the V6 SC engine ....

Very well then.
Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by LeJeun3: 12:13pm On Aug 17, 2020

What do I have and what do I need??

I have a 2007 Range Rover Sport SC without a transmission, owner wants to sell so (engine had previously overheated worked on somewhere else), if I had to use that engine I will have to rebuild it from scratch.

I have an LR3 body lying around.....

I have 3 or 4 transmissions waiting for rebuild in my spare time.

I have asked for a TCM to be mapped for higher gear ratios...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by BamBamK: 1:46pm On Aug 17, 2020
LeJeun3:

What do I have and what do I need??

I have a 2007 Range Rover Sport SC without a transmission, owner wants to sell so (engine had previously overheated worked on somewhere else), if I had to use that engine I will have to rebuild it from scratch.

I have an LR3 body lying around.....

I have 3 or 4 transmissions waiting for rebuild in my spare time.

I have asked for a TCM to be mapped for higher gear ratios...

interesting thread. following!

1 Like

Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by snipesdam(m): 2:12pm On Aug 17, 2020
@LeJeun3 which one excatly do you intend to do?

Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by LeJeun3: 2:36pm On Aug 17, 2020
snipesdam:
@LeJeun3 which one excatly do you intend to do?

Supercharger (right hand)

Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by LeJeun3: 3:15pm On Aug 17, 2020

Suggestions and Concerns are welcome. ...

Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by iamademola(m): 5:28pm On Aug 17, 2020
Following.
Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by nurey(m): 5:48pm On Aug 17, 2020
When you supercharge the vehicle also add NITRO too but Las Las my Nissan Micra will still dust you on the race track tongue

2 Likes

Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by chuka5000(m): 6:43pm On Aug 17, 2020
nurey:
When you supercharge the vehicle also add NITRO too but Las Las my Nissan Micra will still dust you on the race track tongue

Kai fa

OP pls continue and start uploading pix sharply

1 Like

Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by LeJeun3: 6:47pm On Aug 17, 2020
nurey:

Bring this Micra, na my BMX I go use pass you....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by nurey(m): 6:51pm On Aug 17, 2020
LeJeun3:

Bring this Micra, na my BMX I go use pass you....

the last person wey talk this, his BMX went Northwest, he went Southsouth, he come turn mummy grin be kia-full what you wish for grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by MOTIONTECH(m): 9:36pm On Aug 17, 2020
Why not turbocharging tho?
Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by LeJeun3: 4:10am On Aug 18, 2020
MOTIONTECH:
Why not turbocharging tho?

For a vehicle that size, turbocharging is more efficient but would make the car less responsive, in that with the turbocharger boost depends on the build up of exhaust gases....While with a supercharger boost is determined directly by engine speed.

4 Likes

Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by EgunMogaji2: 9:05am On Aug 18, 2020
LeJeun3:

For a vehicle that size, turbocharging is more efficient but would make the car less responsive, in that with the turbocharger boost depends on the build up of exhaust gases....While with a supercharger boost is determined directly by engine speed.

Just as you’re changing the transmission maps, so also that turbochargers can be configured. Different size, different vanes, etc

The only reason I prefer superchargers is less heat buildup and generally less components.

I’m deathly afraid of boost control valves.
Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by LeJeun3: 9:27am On Aug 18, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Just as you’re changing the transmission maps, so also that turbochargers can be configured. Different size, different vanes, etc

The only reason I prefer superchargers is less heat buildup and generally less components.

I’m deathly afraid of boost control valves.

My Good Sir, you know the drill. I am afraid of anything catching fire right now...

I don't have money and fire service aren't close to me...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by EgunMogaji2: 9:50am On Aug 18, 2020
LeJeun3:

My Good Sir, you know the drill. I am afraid of anything catching fire right now...

I don't have money and fire service aren't close to me...

A friend finished restoring a classic Mini Cooper, spent about $25K and this was in the 2000’s. On the second shake down test trip the turbo oil hose came off and the oil ignited on the manifold. Burnt to the ground before volunteer fire brigade arrived. Worst of all he allowed his insurance to lapse during the restoration.

Me, I always insure all my projects from that lesson.

I’ve experienced things and have stories cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by LeJeun3: 1:18pm On Aug 18, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

A friend finished restoring a classic Mini Cooper, spent about $25K and this was in the 2000’s. On the second shake down test trip the turbo oil hose came off and the oil ignited on the manifold. Burnt to the ground before volunteer fire brigade arrived. Worst of all he allowed his insurance to lapse during the restoration.

Me, I always insure all my projects from that lesson.

I’ve experienced things and have stories cheesy

I am in severe pains..... I cannot even think of that happening.....!

2 Likes

Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by king406(m): 4:49pm On Aug 18, 2020
Nice thread. Can you supercharge my VQ37 engine if i were to get my hands on the supercharger?
Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by BamBamK: 7:07pm On Aug 18, 2020
now, that will be worth reading

king406:
Nice thread. Can you supercharge my VQ37 engine if i were to get my hands on the supercharger?
Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by oride: 9:10pm On Aug 18, 2020
Eagerly following...
Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by timifakay(m): 8:48am On Aug 19, 2020
Nice one...
Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by LeJeun3: 9:02am On Aug 19, 2020
king406:

There is already a one turbo kit for that engine if I recall right. Why but a use a supercharger?!

Re: Project: Supercharging An LR3 by BamBamK: 11:47am On Sep 23, 2020
bros, how far na??

update us na

LeJeun3:

There is already a one turbo kit for that engine if I recall right. Why but a use a supercharger?!

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Good Is Hardex Engine Oil? / Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? / Should I Buy This EOD?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.