Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,422 members, 7,819,519 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae (1424 Views)

Igboho: Ooni Failed Yoruba By Not Telling Buhari Truth About Killer Herdsmen / Olu Falae: Fulani Herdsmen Killed My Guard, Cut Out His Heart, Took Away Rifle / Olu Falae: Yoruba Is The Glue Holding Nigeria Together (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by nairavsdollars(f): 9:44am On Aug 18, 2020
Chief Olu Falae is a former Finance Minister, Secretary to the Military Government and a former presidential candidate of the Alliance for Democracy (AD) and All Peoples Party (APP) merger in the 1999 general elections. In this interview with TEMIDAYO AKINSUYI, the elder statesman speaks on the need for restructuring of the country ahead of the 2023 general elections, Chinese Loan and other sundry issues. Excerpts:

During his inauguration in 2015, President Muhammadu Buhari said ‘I belong to everybody, and I belong to nobody’. Five years into his tenure, do you think the president has really lived up to his promise in terms of appointments, developments across the country and in other sectors?

That was not what he meant. I think what he meant was that he will be the President of all Katsina people. We are all seeing that for ourselves. The appointments made were heavily weighed not just in favour of any ethnic group but of his home state of Katsina. When he was challenged on this, he said he only appointed those he knew. You are not elected as President to govern those you knew; you are President of all of us. So, there is no question about the fact that the President is sectional in his appointments; there is no argument about it. The question is, what are we going to do about it?

Why do you think APC leaders are not willing to speak out on this?

On why many APC leaders in other parts of the country, especially the South-West are silent about it, I am not in APC or any of the other political parties but my suspicion is that those who think that their political career will be advanced by not rocking the boat, by doing what the Northern components in the APC wants that through that they will get what they want, they will not challenge whatsoever the President is doing, no matter how wrong it may be. It is all about self-preservation. That is my suspicion but I will advise that you interview them. Ask them that, all these things that is happening, why are you people not speaking out? They will tell you that they don’t want to be isolated. They can get what they want within the party. That is more important to them than liberating their people.

The major opposition party, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) is calling on the President to resign over his handling of affairs of the nation. Are you in support of this call?

PDP as a party is free to demand what it wants. I don’t have to agree or disagree with them. That is the view of the PDP and they are entitled to it. The question is, will the resignation of the President end the crisis in the country? Let’s even assume he resigns; who takes over from him legitimately and can solve the problem of Nigeria? You must think matters through. We are trying to find a solution. In my opinion, if the President

listens to them and says ‘ I resign’, will Nigeria be better? The answer is what I have told you. It is not about the person occupying the office. Whoever you put there is bound by the constitutional provisions that are extant; he is bound by the political reality on the ground and he will behave according to the dictates of those realities.

There has been controversy over Chinese loans and the fears that we may have ceded our sovereignty to China. As a former Minister of Finance, how best do you think this can be handled?

When I was Minister of Finance, I started the process of getting rid of Nigeria’s external loans; the Paris Club loan. I was the one that went to the then Head of State, Ibrahim Babangida to Paris and I negotiated with Pierre Bérégovoy, the Minister of Finance of France the first debt swap. I persuaded and said Nigeria owes France so much money; we’ve given you physical documents which you are keeping in your treasury as evidence of money Nigeria owes you and we will pay interest on those piece of papers quarterly. Maybe the paper is due for redemption in 10 years’ time but you know we won’t have the money to pay. I told him since you have French companies operating in Nigeria, they are raising Naira loans in Nigeria to run their business. Why don’t you agree to ‘Nairanise’ these piece of papers for the benefits of French companies. By so doing, the French companies will take that piece of papers and convert it to Naira here. So, if its $100m worth of Nigerian debt instrument that they bought from their own government, they bring it here and get the Naira equivalent and put it in their account to run their companies. So, Nigeria’s debt in dollars in France has gone down by that amount instead of asking for dollars that we do not have. We call it debt equity swap. Those companies are using the money to increase their equity in Nigeria; so they are swapping debt for equity. So we agree that 10 percent of what we owe them was converted to Naira and that reduces our debt by that amount. Unfortunately, the man (Beregovoy) died within three months. I am just saying this to let you know my intimate knowledge of and familiarity of the debt issue.

You claimed you facilitated the Paris Debt relief for Nigeria during the Babangida administration, how come former President Olusegun Obasanjo is taking the glory as if he initiated the process?

Go and read my book ‘The Way Forward for Nigeria’ produced in 2005, I proposed what Obasanjo eventually did. I looked at various methods of reducing external debts and said the most effective way is to use what we have to buy what we need. Since we are not earning enough dollars to pay our debts but we have oil companies operating in Nigeria; and the Federal Government has equity at times 50 to 60 percent in these companies. I said in 1988, when Nigeria sold 10 percent of our equity in Shell BP, we got $1.2 billion. As at the time I was writing, the same 10 percent will be worth about $5 billion. So, if were to sell 10 or 15 percent of our equity in all the oil companies, we will raise the $30 billion we were owing. We will reduce our equity in the oil companies and use it to clear our debts and be independent again. I also said once we are able to raise the dollars, we will them even though we were supposed to pay the debt in 10 years, we will pay it tomorrow and I said they will accept. So, instead of $30 billion, we will pay $18 billion because of discounts. That was why I said I will eliminate Nigeria’s debt in six months when I was campaigning. But by the time Obasanjo was to do it, we have succeeded in earning more dollars and as such, we didn’t have to sell our equity again. All these things are in my book. Does Buhari understand all these things I’m talking about? Can he understand even if you explain to him? That is why we are accumulating debts now. Oil is going down; the rest of the world are moving away from fossil fuel and they are going into gas and solar. So, we are not developing the capacity to explore solar energy.

https://www.independent.ng/why-nigerias-problems-wont-end-even-if-buhari-resigns-falae/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by pode(m): 10:07am On Aug 18, 2020
Because many of them has skeleton, which if they talk they may likely go down on it

2 Likes

Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by PurestBoy(m): 10:20am On Aug 18, 2020
Is our president a dummy that needs to be told what has been happening?
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by Karlifate: 10:27am On Aug 18, 2020
nairavsdollars:

During his inauguration in 2015, President Muhammadu Buhari said ‘I belong to everybody, and I belong to nobody’. Five years into his tenure, do you think the president has really lived up to his promise in terms of appointments, developments across the country and in other sectors?

That was not what he meant. I think what he meant was that he will be the President of all Katsina people. We are all seeing that for ourselves. The appointments made were heavily weighed not just in favour of any ethnic group but of his home state of Katsina.
Deep!

When he was challenged on this, he said, he only appointed those he knew. You are not elected as President to govern those you knew; you are President for all of us.
Deeper!!

On why many APC leaders in other parts of the country, especially the South-West are silent about it... It is all about self-preservation.
Deepest!!!

1 Like

Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by Charmingrascal(m): 10:33am On Aug 18, 2020
PMB is oblivious of what is happening in Nigeria
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by slivertongue: 10:38am On Aug 18, 2020
they are all living a lie. GMB knows the truth but pretends because he lacks the capacity to deliver progress

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by Finnese001: 10:39am On Aug 18, 2020
Okay
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by Koko1119: 11:13am On Aug 18, 2020
Dat is why dey remove goodluck bcoz him alway ear d true.
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by Yobabad: 11:19am On Aug 18, 2020
He is a well known juhadist, the only thing that matters to him is Islam and cow
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by DEROX: 11:20am On Aug 18, 2020
Buhari
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by Nobody: 11:24am On Aug 18, 2020
You dont want to irritate the North by not speaking up against wrong... I think it's more of not wanting to speak against Godfathers, because the Northerners are Nigerians aswell whom are affected by the same wrongs..
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by Pollosa1: 11:25am On Aug 18, 2020
Spot on high chief
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by vikithor(m): 11:26am On Aug 18, 2020
Learn how to drive manual or automatic car,learn basic vehicle maintenance skill,call or whatsapp us with number below
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by Racoon(m): 11:50am On Aug 18, 2020
Why do you think APC leaders are not willing to speak out on this?

On why many APC leaders in other parts of the country, especially the South-West are silent about it, they will not challenge whatsoever the President is doing, no matter how wrong it may be.That is more important to them than liberating their people.
-"Emancipation from mental slavery, none but us could free our mind." -Bob Nesta Marley.

-" Do you wannabe a well paid slave than a hungry free man? -Lucky Dube.
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by bolaayenimo: 12:53pm On Aug 18, 2020
why not just say why is Tinubu afraid of telling him the truth?
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by Nobody: 1:05pm On Aug 18, 2020
He has failed even Katsina people
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by ospido: 1:27pm On Aug 18, 2020
All the promises:

1$=1#

Nigeria will not borrow at all

I will build refineries

Fight against corruption

Fight against terrorism

Will not travel abroad for medical treatment

Non increment of petroleum pump price

Will create 5m jobs annually

Will build 774 health centres across 774 L.G.A

Will grow the economy

Will grow the foreign reserve

Will head Petroleum Ministry for only 18 months

Rice Revolution

Will grow our own food and end food importation

Will diversify our economy

And more...............

Am yet to see any fulfilled.

Man has really dominated man to his harm
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by fykes(m): 1:49pm On Aug 18, 2020
What truth can anyone tell a deaf man?
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by helinues: 1:50pm On Aug 18, 2020
Hahahahaha

Baba Ole Falae wey also chop inside Dasuki's gate dey talk..

Wonders
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by IamWonderful: 1:51pm On Aug 18, 2020
Ok
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by Nobody: 2:24pm On Aug 18, 2020
He is sending a strong signal and directing his grievances to our yoruba zombies.. We are messing with our heritage as cowards and hypocrisy.
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by zoer(m): 2:33pm On Aug 18, 2020
helinues:
Hahahahaha

Baba Ole Falae wet also chop inside Dasuki's gate dey talk..

Wonders
its so unfortunate you could spit rubbish....
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by helinues: 2:35pm On Aug 18, 2020
zoer:
its so unfortunate I don't mind my business hence typing rubbish....

I see
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by 00cyberghost(m): 2:40pm On Aug 18, 2020
lol. some persons want to be president by 2023 and they will rather keep quiet and see the country burn than jeopardize their chances. I pray we will still have a country by 2023.
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by Nobody: 2:42pm On Aug 18, 2020
helinues:
Hahahahaha

Baba Ole Falae wey also chop inside Dasuki's gate dey talk..

Wonders

Stop lying brother..! Don't twist the story behind the #Dasukigate's loot and the innocent. Some of us know what transpired between him and Tony Annenih in regards to the fund (N100m), glad he returned it with clear conscience. Tony is a crook and traitor...

Stop promoting lies abeg
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by orisa37: 3:45pm On Aug 18, 2020
goodluck didn't fight right.
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by orisa37: 3:49pm On Aug 18, 2020
DEROX:
Buhari

The weak point.
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by orisa37: 3:54pm On Aug 18, 2020
Esseite:
You dont want to irritate the North by not speaking up against wrong... I think it's more of not wanting to speak against Godfathers, because the Northerners are Nigerians aswell whom are affected by the same wrongs..

The Fulanis are from FUTA JALON. They're immigrants.

1 Like

Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by orisa37: 3:57pm On Aug 18, 2020
Pollosa1:
Spot on high chief

On anyone telling the Truth.
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by orisa37: 4:06pm On Aug 18, 2020
Racoon:

-"Emancipation from mental slavery, none but us could free our mind." -Bob Nesta Marley.

-" Do you wannabe a well paid slave than a hungry free man? -Lucky Dube.

TINUBU too is a weak point.
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by orisa37: 4:13pm On Aug 18, 2020
Abouwaza:
He has failed even Katsina people

He is just silly.
Re: Why APC Leaders Are Afraid Of Telling Buhari The Truth – Olu Falae by orisa37: 4:17pm On Aug 18, 2020
ospido:
All the promises:

1$=1#

Nigeria will not borrow at all

I will build refineries

Fight against corruption

Fight against terrorism

Will not travel abroad for medical treatment

Non increment of petroleum pump price

Will create 5m jobs annually

Will build 774 health centres across 774 L.G.A

Will grow the economy

Will grow the foreign reserve

Will head Petroleum Ministry for only 18 months

Rice Revolution

Will grow our own food and end food importation

Will diversify our economy

And more...............

Am yet to see any fulfilled.

Man has really dominated man to his harm

Schizophrenia.

(1) (2) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Amaechi Visits Katsina Over University Of Transportation / Jews Are Enabling Genocide Against Armenian Christians / Reps Consider Scrapping NYSC As Bill Reaches Second Reading

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.