Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,194 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:05 AM

The Wisest Counsel To Heal Nigeria's Problems. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Wisest Counsel To Heal Nigeria's Problems. (159 Views)

Why Udom Emmanuel Is The Wisest Ex-governor In Nigeria / Zulum: With Shettima, Tinubu Has Made The Wisest Choice / Why Igbos Are Known To Be The Wisest In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Wisest Counsel To Heal Nigeria's Problems. by AristocraticMe: 4:33pm On Aug 18, 2020
I created a thread some weeks ago and alot of people came for my head.... with only just two people seeing what i was saying and concurred.... i am not looking for people to concur i am just saying the truth even if no one believes or agree i will always say the truth.

Subject of the thread i created was - Nigeria Will Not Change Until Everyone Starts to Pay Tax.

Here is a member of nairaland who made a valid point, it was so valid that i had to create another thread with his response.
Credit to naijaking1

Read below..

[b]The wisest counsel to heal Nigeria's problems.
[/b]Our founding fathers were poor students of sociology and psychology, that's why working for government in Nigeria means an opportunity to rob the system (yourself included ) dry.
Whether we pay formal taxes or through VAT, corruptions, ineptitude, embezzlement, etc is a not even the case, the case is that Nigerians, every adult is not taxed in a way for them to take ownership of their own country. Unfortunately, we discovered oil, or what the Venezuelans call devil's grease of corruption, and every thing went from bad to worse.

A fair taxing system will reduce and probably eliminate corruption, because if that 1 billion naira you're going to embezzle came directly off the pockets of your home people who would eagerly waiting for you with sharp objects when you come home to display your ill gotten wealth. But when you steal the amount from Abuja oil money and run home to your village, instead of them asking you, "my son, how did you make this money" they fall for the old notion that government is national cake deserving to looted, and that you have indeed gotten their own share. On the contrary, imagine stealing #10,000 contributed by your poor folks at home at #100 a person!

Another benefit of measured taxation is that it will once and for all solve the problem of proper census , and this probably why it will never happen at least under the present dispensation. If every adult in a village pay #1 tax a year, it will automatically help with census estimation and planning.

A formal tax will also reduce the need for many underground levies currently in place of which the corrupt government is going to fail to give a full account of.

Here is a my own addition....
Illegal taxation must stop.....like Agbero collecting money on the road, Market association people collection money in the market and all this different associations like barber association, welder association and so on collecting money and saying if you dont pay they will lock your shop and so on... IT MUST STOP, every body should be taxed by FIRS according to what he or she earns at the end of the year or mid year depending on what will work for Nigeria.

Am Out.

(1) (Reply)

COVID-19: UNIOSUN Leads As Osun Tertiary Institutions Resort To Online Classes / Integrity Vs Corruption: Does It Take Only Integrity To Rule Nigeria? / COVID-19 Response: FCCPC Receives FG Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.