Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,386 members, 7,815,818 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:50 PM

Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job (1653 Views)

Fresh Deployment In North-east: Police Lobby For Exemption / Reps Besiege Tambuwal's Homes To Lobby For Committe Appointment / Senators Begin Lobby For Mark’s Seat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by chrisokw: 5:49am On Jun 19, 2007
Agbakoba, Shuns Ministerial Offer

Onyema Omenuwa, Lagos

Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) President, Olisa Agbakoba, has reportedly turned down President Umaru Yar’Adua’s offers to join the government.

Sources said on Monday that both were approached by emissaries from the Villa that the President would like them to come on board.

Agbakoba was offered the post of federal Attorney General and Justice Minister, but he told the President’s men that he would not step into the shoes of Bayo Ojo who "breached the constitution of NBA" which forbids its President from accepting political appointment.

Agbakoba, who, in 2003, sought election to become Nigeria’s President, also told the lobbyists that he would not allow himself to be used to do dirty jobs which are the hallmark of the government led by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) since 1999.

[size=24pt]Moderator asks: What of the source of this alleged story, eh? Where did you copy it from?[/size]
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by kliverpool(m): 7:13am On Jun 19, 2007
What is his problem if u can do something better than than others,u should show
the whole world not seat at home and tell people.
If they want you to do dirty job tell them u can't do it and resign
that will say something about you.
This is the time for all Nigerians to come together and build this nation
not seat on the fence and rain abuse on the people doing it.
Abi oga agbakoba dey fear.
If our President now settle for less competent person
he will be the one to shout first.We should not hear anything from u them o
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by Sorunmu(m): 8:06am On Jun 19, 2007
Atleast its on record that he was invited but he rejected his(yar adua) invitation.
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by folushola(f): 8:24am On Jun 19, 2007
As an NBA chairman, it is better to accept political appointment and serve Nigeria in your best ability and capacity than to go about ranting simply because you were siding Atiku publicly (stupidly though) and luck was not on his side.

Abeg let him go and sit down, he is a disgrace to NBA, somebody in that kind of position should not be making it known so obviously that he is Atiku' man or boy or whatever.

I dont usually beef people but An annoying old man, thats what he is.
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by angel101(f): 9:12am On Jun 19, 2007
I think he should have taken the job to make a difference if indeed he is competent of which i have no idea. But it's time for honest and competent nigerians with the interest of the country at heart to come forward in this task of nation building.
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by Nobody: 9:41am On Jun 19, 2007
Nigerian never seize to suprise me. According to the guy's explanation, it is against the constitution of NBA to accept Political Appiontments.
It is not only a professional reason but he also has his personal reasons.
Tommorrow now when he starts doing dirty jobs, you will also be the first to condemn him.
Nigerians are never satisfied
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by angel101(f): 9:45am On Jun 19, 2007
aisha2:

Nigerian never seize to suprise me. According to the guy's explanation, it is against the constitution of NBA to accept Political Appiontments.
It is not only a professional reason but he also has his personal reasons.
Tommorrow now when he starts doing dirty jobs, you will also be the first to condemn him.
Nigerians are never satisfied

If it is against his professional constitution, then fine. but to say that 'when he starts doing dirty jobs' we will condem him is laughable. by all means we will! Is that what he is meant to go there for? can he not serve without doing dirty jobs?
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by ayusman16(m): 10:21am On Jun 19, 2007
But i believe he can just take up the appointment and make amends instead of refusing to serve his fatherland!!!!!!!
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by lafile(m): 10:22am On Jun 19, 2007
i dont blame the guy jare. you can be used to do dirty jobs without your knowing. ever heard of conspiracy?
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by initiator(m): 10:33am On Jun 19, 2007
Agbakoba is one lawyer i tremendously respect. How would it be for the NBA chairman who led the NBA to a boycourt over the marred election would sit on the same govt. Agbakoba did the most principled thing. Not every good profesional needs to be in govt. We need voices of decent and there's no better one than the NBA boss.
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by ayusman16(m): 10:38am On Jun 19, 2007
xtycod:

The man is right to have shunned Yaradua, who in the first place is not supposed to be at ASO ROCK. Check the list of all former NBA chairmen who converted to ministers- from Bayo to the rest of them. They were all dismal. Asorock has a way of rubbishing people's hard-earned image.

who then won the election? Atiku or rev chris
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by angel101(f): 10:57am On Jun 19, 2007
ayusman16:

who then won the election? Atiku or rev chris

Is that the point? or do u deny that there were tremendous malpractices with the elections?
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by initiator(m): 11:02am On Jun 19, 2007
Hey ayusman16
this issue is not about who won the election, Its about accepting or rejecting an appointment in principle.
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by kliverpool(m): 2:56pm On Jun 19, 2007
People like DORA,EL RUFAI,OBY,OKONJO EVEN RIBADU.
Were light in the dark side of obasanjo's regime.
so he should take the positing and set good s
standard for others to follow.
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by Mamajama(m): 4:58pm On Jun 19, 2007
Thank you it's all about ETHICS and Morality. Kudos to the guy if this story has any credibility to it.
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by Soundmind(m): 5:40pm On Jun 19, 2007
I realy commend him for not taking up the job. Recall that he criticised Bayo Ojo on taking the appointment on professional ground. Pin D Pin Knows that and still went for him to rubish his image. Kudos to him.
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by denex: 6:25pm On Jun 19, 2007
If accepting this appointment is against the NBA constitution, then I hail his integrity.

I also think that Yar'Adua is over doing this whole thing. It's not everybody that is buyable. He should target people like Tinubu.
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by Hugoboi(m): 6:30pm On Jun 19, 2007
Integrity my foot!Agbakoba is just mad that his inlaw {Atiku} was robbed of the presidency.Predicating his refusal on integrity is in my view an assault on our collective sensibilties.He should try sumthing else!
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by laudate: 7:04pm On Jun 19, 2007
Hey! Who told you that Atiku is Agabkoba's in-law, ehn?? shocked
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by buchio7(m): 7:34pm On Jun 19, 2007
Hugoboi:

Integrity my foot!Agbakoba is just mad that his inlaw {Atiku} was robbed of the presidency.Predicating his refusal on integrity is in my view an assault on our collective sensibilties.He should try something else!

chei, chei, chei!!!!!! "my people perish for lack of wisdom" how can a serving n.b.a president leave his post to take up a ministerial appointment which is against the very constitution that he presides over?

sentiments!!!! sentiments is what is killing ppl in d land(as well as ignorance)

3 gbosas for agbakoba, gbosa!!! GBOSA, !!!! GBOSA!!!!!!!, GBOSA!!!!!( d 4th one is for special effects),

he is not like ojo dat ran cap in hand to "come and chop" abandoning his primary constituency,
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by naijaking1: 11:01pm On Jun 19, 2007
@all
Guys, if it's against NBA rules, why are we even discussing it?

Understandably some people can't imagine someone rejecting a ministerial offer in naija.

That Agbakoba guy is smart.

Anybody remembers other strong lawyers with opposition voices in the past, and what happened to then? I mean:

Olu Onagurowa, Jakande, Akamgbo, Bola Ige, and now, Ojo.

They want to use Agbakoba, like they used his prediscesors to legitimize their government until his relevance runs out.

Then they'll dump him like a bag of gabbage.

It's the same old tried and tested technique!
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jun 19, 2007
naijaking1:

@all
Guys, if it's against NBA rules, why are we even discussing it?

Understandably some people can't imagine someone rejecting a ministerial offer in naija.

That Agbakoba guy is smart.

Anybody remembers other strong lawyers with opposition voices in the past, and what happened to then? I mean:

Olu Onagurowa, Jakande, Akamgbo, Bola Ige, and now, Ojo.

They want to use Agbakoba, like they used his prediscesors to legitimize their government until his relevance runs out.

Then they'll dump him like a bag of gabbage.

It's the same old tried and tested technique!

you couldnt have said it any better.
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by sleekdot(m): 11:44pm On Jun 19, 2007
Agbakoba is not dumb unlike Bayo Ojo who would go to ask OBJ for the interpretation of the law and constitution before taking action.
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by Aneef(m): 9:59am On Jun 20, 2007
If his refusing is based on fairness,justice,equity&impartiality God will bless him but if it is otherwise, reverse will as well be the case for him cos this govt need good hands to turn things around for the benefit of all.
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jun 21, 2007
Thank God we still have Nigerians not willing to tarnish their image and that of their family for barrels of crude oil.
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by McKren(m): 7:00pm On Jun 21, 2007
I have never been a fan of Agbakoba, but I did remember him criticize Bayo Ojo for breaking NBA rules so God knows why anyone will expect him to break the same rules.

Besides that the duty of Atorney General is to legally defend FG, if he picks up this position and had to defend this governments legitimacy. How would he do that when NBA under his leadership protested the election that brought this same government to power.

Agbakoba deserves commendation for being principled.
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by Nobody: 9:56am On Jun 22, 2007
Hugoboi:

Integrity my foot!Agbakoba is just mad that his inlaw {Atiku} was robbed of the presidency.Predicating his refusal on integrity is in my view an assault on our collective sensibilties.He should try something else!
Trust Nigerians to avoid issues and bring in sentiments.
@angela 101 The truth is that whether he likes it or not, once he accepts the appointment his job is to protect Governments Interest in Legal matters. As a lawyer, You will defend your Clients interest even if he is guilty of Murder. Olisa has chosen the side of Nigerians despite the comforts and personal gains he will get as a minister. He should be applauded.
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by angel101(f): 2:39pm On Jun 22, 2007
aisha2:

Trust Nigerians to avoid issues and bring in sentiments.
@angela 101 The truth is that whether he likes it or not, once he accepts the appointment his job is to protect Governments Interest in Legal matters. As a lawyer, You will defend your Clients interest even if he is guilty of Murder. Olisa has chosen the side of Nigerians despite the comforts and personal gains he will get as a minister. He should be applauded.

I totally agree then
Re: Super! While others lobby for it, Agbakoba Shuns Ministerial Job by Nobody: 6:53pm On Mar 17, 2011
I remember this thread, Agbakoba saw it coming. Thank God he rejected the offer oh, where is Aondoakaa today. As if Agbokoba could see the future, imagine. All the Ibori kasala, the Missing Late president and the constitutional crisi, how would he have handled all that. Its good to avoid self gratification oh, Longer throat no good

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News:hon Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi In Sir Celetine Omehia Out / Ilorin Gets Its First Fly-over / Jonathan’s $50,000 Bribe: Another Sng Delegate Provides More Details

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.