Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,717 members, 7,824,030 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

Senator Smart Adeyemi Opposes Bill Allocating N2.2bn For Former Heads Of State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senator Smart Adeyemi Opposes Bill Allocating N2.2bn For Former Heads Of State (1384 Views)

Smart Adeyemi Defects To APC, Says Buhari Is Doing Well / Entitlements Of Former Heads Of State And Presidents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senator Smart Adeyemi Opposes Bill Allocating N2.2bn For Former Heads Of State by TewMuch: 3:14am On Feb 17, 2011
Senate rejects N1.2bn budget for upkeep of ex-Heads of State
By Oluwole Josiah 

The Senate Committee on Federal Character and Inter-Governmental-Governmental Affairs on Wednesday rejected the N1.2bn proposal by the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation for the upkeep of former Heads of State and their deputies.

Chairman of the committee, Senator Smart Adeyemi, said his conscience would not permit him to defend it before the Senate Committee on Appropriation to which he directed the SGF.

A Permanent Secretary at the SGF’s office, Mr. Taiye Haruna, who represented the SGF, Yayale Ahmed, told the committee that the N1.2bn was not captured in the 2011 budget proposals, but that it would be presented to the committee later.

He also said that the sum of N2.2 billion was proposed for the upkeep of the former leaders in 2010, but was also dropped when the budget was being computed.

Adeyemi was visibly angry at the proposal.

He told the SGF, “I will not be able to defend this before the appropriation committee. My conscience will not permit me to do that. I think that these retired Heads of State should be able to take care of their needs, but we are still paying so much in the face of people not being able to eat three square meals a day. It is unfair.

“I cannot understand why we are going to be spending so much money on former Heads of State who presided over the affairs of this country rightly and wrongly when we are growing an army of unemployed youths who are now capable of staging a revolution.

“It is unfair to set aside N2bn for a few people who were part of those who mismanaged this country when there are no jobs, when there are no drugs in the hospitals and there is so much poverty in the land.”

Haruna explained further that N1.2bn was actually meant to cater for the needs of the former leaders which were already in arrears.

He said there were seven living former Heads of State; five former Vice-Presidents, six families of deceased leaders and two families of deceased Vice-Presidents.

He argued that the upkeep was in line with the Act recently passed by the National Assembly on the upkeep of the former Heads of State.

He said a five bedroom housing accommodation was supposed to be built for each of the former leaders in any location of their choice with telephone services. The government is also expected to provide, at least, three vehicles for them and pay the salaries of their personal staff.

The funds will also be used to cater for them whenever they visit Abuja, as well as pay for other courier services required by the former leaders.

Haruna also explained that as soon as the major provisions were made, the annual upkeep would not be more than N250m.

But Adeyemi noted that though the Act had come into force, he stood against it as it did not represent the interest of the people of Nigerians.

According to him, he would continue to oppose the implementation of the Act, hoping that someday the Act would be revisited for a possible repeal or amendment.
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20110217317617
Re: Senator Smart Adeyemi Opposes Bill Allocating N2.2bn For Former Heads Of State by TewMuch: 3:20am On Feb 17, 2011
Nigerian's and oversabi, willing to please old skeletons. This SGF or Haruna guy should be sacked for proposing this bill. These former HOS do not even deserve pension. Do these idiots realise how many children and wives OBJ has? Not to even talk of the Hausa/muslim former HOS's?The country should go into debt for people that put us in this mess. Are Nigerian's crazy or just Zombie's? This is a slassic case of "wetin concern agbero with overload" Overload being these useless, demonic HOS. Good job Senator, posterity will judge you. It is very refreshing to see Nigerian's with conscience. Sen. Adeyemi for president!
Re: Senator Smart Adeyemi Opposes Bill Allocating N2.2bn For Former Heads Of State by Kobojunkie: 3:28am On Feb 17, 2011
Is this "Upkeep" meant for the pension and all benefits promised these ex-leaders?
Re: Senator Smart Adeyemi Opposes Bill Allocating N2.2bn For Former Heads Of State by PhysicsRND(m): 3:31am On Feb 17, 2011
Smart indeed. His parents named him well. The past heads of state did not perform well enough to merit any large pension and there are far better uses for that money considering the state of Nigeria.
Re: Senator Smart Adeyemi Opposes Bill Allocating N2.2bn For Former Heads Of State by TewMuch: 3:32am On Feb 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Is this "Upkeep" meant for the pension and all benefits promised these ex-leaders?

what upkeep? isnt every government official including the president owed pension after service? dont you see it also promises to take care of DEAD pples families? Do they have any idea how many children these men have? so Nigeria has become bank. OBJ himself is a serious breeder.
Re: Senator Smart Adeyemi Opposes Bill Allocating N2.2bn For Former Heads Of State by Kobojunkie: 3:33am On Feb 17, 2011
TewMuch:

what upkeep? isnt every government official including the president owed pension after service? dont you see it also promises to take care of DEAD pples families? Do they have any idea how many children these men have? so Nigeria has become bank. OBJ himself is a serious breeder.

Well, like it or not, a contract is a contract. As much as we do not like them, it would probably not be in our good to deny them, whatever benefits we promised them, now what we promised them simply because someone suddenly grew a conscience 2 minutes ago.
Re: Senator Smart Adeyemi Opposes Bill Allocating N2.2bn For Former Heads Of State by TewMuch: 3:37am On Feb 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Well, like it or not, a contract is a contract. As much as we do not like them, it would probably not be in our good to deny them, whatever benefits we promised them, now what we promised them simply because someone suddenly grew a conscience 2 minutes ago.

Contract? if it was a contract they will not be trying to pass a bill. So Nigerian's should be responsible for leaders that do not have any right to even ask for pension, or be running free because of contract? The contract includes building them new houses and paying for all their aidea. I know you are looking for a daft argument, so i willl just leave you here.
Re: Senator Smart Adeyemi Opposes Bill Allocating N2.2bn For Former Heads Of State by Kobojunkie: 3:41am On Feb 17, 2011
TewMuch:

Contract? if it was a contract they will not be trying to pass a bill. So Nigerian's should be responsible for leaders that do not have any right to even ask for pension, or be running free because of contract? The contract includes building them new houses and paying for all their aidea.  I know you are looking for a daft argument, so i willl just leave you here.

Kobojunkie:

Please be sure to read questions next time before responding! I don't respond well to EMOTIONAL rants!

Nigeria's former presidents and heads of state who are still alive should get an even better deal from the federal government this year following plans by the National Assembly to review their monthly welfare package upwards.

The legislature is planning to increase the former leaders' package from N250 million proposed in the 2010 budget to about N2 billion.

The chairman of the House of Representatives committee on appropriation, Ayo Adeseun, disclosed this in an exclusive interview with NEXT.

The money is meant to take care of the former leaders' pension, medicare, yearly vacation abroad, offices and general maintenance. This is besides the N500,000 each of the former leaders is reportedly paid whenever they attend the Council of State meeting, which is held periodically.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Politics/5505628-146/story.csp
Re: Senator Smart Adeyemi Opposes Bill Allocating N2.2bn For Former Heads Of State by TewMuch: 4:09am On Feb 17, 2011
This is why I decided not to argue with the junkie, her copy paste from 234 is the most ridiculous rubbish I have ever read. The daftest person will be angry at that report. Nigerians should pay for former HOS yearly vacation. When some Nigerian's cannot afford the entrance fee's to beaches. They should give them money to attend one useless meeting, in which they are unable to contribute anything positive to Nigerian lives. They should also get better healthcare than the rubbish system they left behind. When they were in office they did not think they would have to rely on NIGERIAN HEALTHCARE system which they destroyed. They are government officials, all that is owed is pension, and security. The healthcare can be gotten from the local teaching hospitals and they can pay for their own vacations.
Re: Senator Smart Adeyemi Opposes Bill Allocating N2.2bn For Former Heads Of State by Kobojunkie: 4:14am On Feb 17, 2011
ROFLMAO!!! Now 234Next is not credible but Punch is? See me see wahala . . . people making up their own rules without even checking to see what is actually eating them.

ROFLMAO!! grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy

Does calling me a JUNKIE make  the contents of the post GO AWAY for you?

Does the fact that I am not a SENTIMENT-DRIVEN person like you make you Angry?? You expect all of us to REACT/PICK SIDES, before first checking the facts,  like you do?

Are you attempting to, in some way claim that what I said of contracts, my view so far, is wrong?

What has your claim that they destroyed the Nigerian healthcare system to do with 234Next's report or my reposting it?

Which one is it and why are you DIRECTING YOUR anger at me as if I am the one making the promises and giving away billions year after year to the ex-presidents

Talk of serious emotional  issues!! lol
Re: Senator Smart Adeyemi Opposes Bill Allocating N2.2bn For Former Heads Of State by ekubear1: 5:05am On Feb 17, 2011
Upkeep? Fvck em. What sort of upkeep do they need?
Re: Senator Smart Adeyemi Opposes Bill Allocating N2.2bn For Former Heads Of State by seanet02: 5:20am On Feb 17, 2011
I have not been able to identify the reasons for paying this usurpers and looters. For God sake this people sapped Nigeria dry. They refuse to provide good health care yet want to travel abroad and enjoy good health. May the God of thunder strike this Rascals to their Death
Re: Senator Smart Adeyemi Opposes Bill Allocating N2.2bn For Former Heads Of State by jumobi1(m): 6:13am On Feb 17, 2011
Coup Plotters/Military Heads of state don't deserve anything
Re: Senator Smart Adeyemi Opposes Bill Allocating N2.2bn For Former Heads Of State by coolgb(m): 7:13am On Feb 17, 2011
hav u seen why d 'sudanes' wd always com for direction,oh wot a blind country, nigeria
Re: Senator Smart Adeyemi Opposes Bill Allocating N2.2bn For Former Heads Of State by bencobenz(m): 8:50am On Feb 17, 2011
The guy who proposed this bill ought to be stone to death, after all the mismanagement of resources by these former Heads of State we should still continue to pay them. Most Nigerians cannot afford 3 square meal per day, yet they want us to pay those that can fend for themselves. angry angry angry
Re: Senator Smart Adeyemi Opposes Bill Allocating N2.2bn For Former Heads Of State by Kilode1: 9:01am On Feb 17, 2011
six families of deceased leaders and two families of deceased Vice-Presidents.

Wetin be this? angry

So families now inherit the "pension" largess? I thought they stop paying pension to civil servants at their death. Which families? They can't find work ni?
Re: Senator Smart Adeyemi Opposes Bill Allocating N2.2bn For Former Heads Of State by johnie: 10:05am On Feb 17, 2011
TewMuch:

The Senate Committee on Federal Character and Inter-Governmental-Governmental Affairs on Wednesday rejected the N1.2bn proposal by the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation for the upkeep of former Heads of State and their deputies.

Chairman of the committee, Senator Smart Adeyemi, said his conscience would not permit him to defend it before the Senate Committee on Appropriation to which he directed the SGF.

Adeyemi was visibly angry at the proposal.

He told the SGF, “I will not be able to defend this before the appropriation committee. My conscience will not permit me to do that. I think that these retired Heads of State should be able to take care of their needs, but we are still paying so much in the face of people not being able to eat three square meals a day. It is unfair.

“I cannot understand why we are going to be spending so much money on former Heads of State who presided over the affairs of this country rightly and wrongly when we are growing an army of unemployed youths who are now capable of staging a revolution.

It is unfair to set aside N2bn for a few people who were part of those who mismanaged this country when there are no jobs, when there are no drugs in the hospitals and there is so much poverty in the land.”

But Adeyemi noted that though the Act had come into force, he stood against it as it did not represent the interest of the people of Nigerians.

According to him, [b]he would continue to oppose the implementation of the Act, hoping that someday the Act would be revisited for a possible repeal or amendment.[/b]http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20110217317617

Pardon my skepticism but if Senator Adeyemi does not have an ulterior motive (e.g. playing to the gallery), kudos to him!

He put the point across very well and I support him.

I am happy that "legislooters" now realise that the Nigerian public is now more politicaly aware and watching their every move.

That's what democracy is all about. When politicians know that their constituents are watching them and they are accountable to them, it is then that we would be able to say that we have true representatives.
Re: Senator Smart Adeyemi Opposes Bill Allocating N2.2bn For Former Heads Of State by TewMuch: 1:53pm On Feb 17, 2011
Someone tell this junkie to go and campaign for Buhari. No wonder she is defending the motion, maybe she is his child. She must be old enough, with her covert support and arguments in Buhari's favor.
Kilode?!:

Wetin be this? angry

So families now inherit the "pension" largess? I thought they stop paying pension to civil servants at their death. Which families? They can't find work ni?

No they cant find work, they have been raised to believe Nigeria is their father's bank account or purse. Imagine when the polygamous leader's die and how many children Nigeria will be responsible for. Of course the great Abacha who brought us so much good leadership must be one of these dead leader's.
Re: Senator Smart Adeyemi Opposes Bill Allocating N2.2bn For Former Heads Of State by T9ksy(m): 5:56pm On Feb 17, 2011
bencobenz:

The guy who proposed this bill ought to be stone to death, after all the mismanagement of resources by these former Heads of State we should still continue to pay them. Most Nigerians cannot afford 3 square meal per day, yet they want us to pay those that can fend for themselves. angry angry angry

Hell no!!!!

His foetus should have been aborted it's 2months old.
His case makes room for "lawful abortion".
Gosh where do we get these mo.rons from?
Re: Senator Smart Adeyemi Opposes Bill Allocating N2.2bn For Former Heads Of State by karlmax2: 2:01pm On Feb 18, 2011

Who signed the contract with.the nigerian people? Or you refering to our sham we call constitution that the military juntas imposed on us?
Re: Senator Smart Adeyemi Opposes Bill Allocating N2.2bn For Former Heads Of State by Kobojunkie: 3:32pm On Feb 18, 2011
karl max:

Who signed the contract with.the nigerian people? Or you refering to our sham we call constitution that the military juntas imposed on us?

What is a silly question? Have the Nigerian people ever really been consulted in the signing of any contract? Do you know how many contracts your government has gone back on, leaving us paying millions more in penalty for?

What sham of a constitution? have you ever read that thing? There is not much wrong with the constitution -- the only problem to date is Nigerian people have continually refused to make themselves a part of the government of this democracy. So telling me someone IMPOSED something on you in a democracy( GOVERNMENT BY THE PEOPLE FOR THE PEOPLE) is you telling me you are just lazy.

Anyways, again, what I said of contracts is true and I believe it is possible we are currently paying the chinese 1 billion dollars for going back on a contract with them back in 2005/2006, and I do not believe the ex-presidents and their families are going to sit back laughing if we go back on any contract we signed with them to pay them for life.

(1) (Reply)

Senator Bukola Saraki Honoured For Achievements In Kwara State / Call On Slain Daramola’s Line Traced To Girl In Ikere Ekiti, Says Police Witness / Jonathan Must Become A Muslim - Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.