Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,668 members, 7,955,422 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:01 AM

Word Of The Day! 'comity' And Origin - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Word Of The Day! 'comity' And Origin (128 Views)

Locate Nigeria In The Comity Of Social Systems. / Locate Nigeria In The Comity Of Social Systems. / Locate Nigeria In The Comity Of Social Systems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Word Of The Day! 'comity' And Origin by Researchclue: 8:52am On Aug 20, 2020
Word Of The Day!

Comity
[ kom-i-tee ]

:- mutual courtesy; civility.

E.g
I believe I had no money to buy them, but there was an open account, or a comity, between the printer and the bookseller, and I must have been allowed a certain discretion in regard to getting books.
https://www.facebook.com/researchclue1

WHAT IS THE ORIGIN OF COMITY?
Comity comes from Latin comitās (stem comitāt-) “friendliness, consideration, graciousness,” a derivative of the adjective cōmis “kind, obliging.” Cōmis perhaps comes from earlier cosmis, which occurs only once, in an inscription. If so, the syllable –smi– comes from the Proto-Indo-European root (s)mei-, (s)mei-, (s)mi– “to laugh, smile, wonder at,” which supplies Greek philommeidḗs (from philo-smeides) “laughter-loving,” a Homeric epithet of Aphrodite. (S)mei– yields Latin mīrus ”extraordinary, remarkable (usually in the good sense),” the verb mīrārī “to be surprised, amazed; look in awe or wonder at” (the source of Spanish mirar “to look at”). Also, in German komisch means “comic” and colloquially “strange, funny.” (S)mei– appears in the Germanic languages as smīlan, English smile. Comity entered English in the first half of the 16th century.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Online Test Engine 1Y0-403 Exam Dumps With PDF Download / Are There Any Chirayu Medical College Scholarships? / Social Media VS Blog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.