Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,241 members, 7,836,149 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:35 PM

La Liga: Koeman Pledges To Put Barca ‘back On Top’ - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / La Liga: Koeman Pledges To Put Barca ‘back On Top’ (160 Views)

Senegal's President Pledges $87,100 To Each Senegalese Player for winning AFCON / La Liga: Koeman Pledges To Put Barca ‘back On Top’ / Everton Sacks Manager, Ronald Koeman After Arsenal Defeat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

La Liga: Koeman Pledges To Put Barca ‘back On Top’ by Piston65(m): 9:48am On Aug 20, 2020
Ronald Koeman said he will “fight to put Barcelona back on top” after he was officially appointed Wednesday as the Spanish club’s new coach on a two-year deal.

“It’s a happy day. Everyone knows that Barca was for me. It’s my home. It’s a challenge and it won’t be easy, it will demand the best of me and I like that,” Koeman said at his unveiling at the Camp Nou.

“It was a dream and this dream became a reality. We’re going to fight to put Barca back on top.”

The 57-year-old Koeman, who had been in charge of the Netherlands since 2018, replaces Quique Setien, who was sacked after the Catalans were humiliated 8-2 by Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-finals on Friday.

He becomes the fifth Dutchman to coach Barcelona after Rinus Michels, Johan Cruyff, Louis van Gaal and Frank Rijkaard.

In his six seasons as a Barca player Koeman made 264 official appearances, scoring 88 goals as he shone in Cruyff’s ‘Dream Team’, winning four consecutive La Liga titles between 1991-94.

He also struck the winner in the 1992 European Cup final, the Catalan club’s first ever success in Europe’s top club competition.

“It was written, one day, Ronald Koeman was to coach Barca. The time has come,” said club president Josep Maria Bartomeu, who made the initial announcement on Tuesday evening.

Koeman added: “I’ve signed, I’m the coach of Barcelona and we’re going to work starting from now. Changes need to be made. The image from the other day is not the one we want to return to, not me, nor the players, directors, supporters, anyone.”

The Bayern capitulation was the first time Barca had conceded eight goals in a game since losing to Sevilla 8-0 in the 1946 Spanish Cup.

https://punchng.com/la-liga-koeman-pledges-to-put-barca-back-on-top/
Re: La Liga: Koeman Pledges To Put Barca ‘back On Top’ by Piston65(m): 3:57pm On Aug 20, 2020
smiley smiley

(1) (Reply)

Ibrahimovic ‘a Priority’ For Milan Next Season / Ronaldo Or Messi In Your Club? Give Reasons Why / Oh No!!! Nigerian Sootballer Slumps And Dies In Osun. See Details

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.