Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,197 members, 7,953,726 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:11 AM

Experienced Pig Farmers Please Come In - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Experienced Pig Farmers Please Come In (345 Views)

Pig Farmers Demand For Piggery Colonies / Experienced Pig Farmers Please Advise Me. / Nairaland Pig Farmers Host Free Pork Tasting Party (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Experienced Pig Farmers Please Come In by FanOfMyself: 9:00am On Aug 21, 2020
Good morning everyone.
So I have a budget of 300000 ( I don't really plan to invest everything ooo).
I want to set up a pig farm (I plan to start small and grow with time). My idea is to rent a structure say one or two rooms. I plan to get a two female pigs that are almost ready to start giving birth and a single male pig for mating. Please can you advise me on how to go about it and I don't really know how much these kinds/categories of pigs will cost and how much it will cost to rent a room, feed the pigs and even hire labor for cleaning the pigs room.
I need to know if my ideas are okay and what am I missing?

NB: I am a software engineer by profession, so this is going to be a side hustle and my day to day presence will be really minimal as time goes on. I'm currently working from home that's why I have the extra time to do this.
Thanks
Re: Experienced Pig Farmers Please Come In by Malocox(m): 9:22am On Aug 21, 2020
Nice ideal bro.This man will help you with good hybrid.He has years of experiences in piggery farming.Bossman....07018535920.
Re: Experienced Pig Farmers Please Come In by Mcreloaded(m): 11:00am On Aug 21, 2020
Postpone all your plans concerning pig farming till next year.

ASF is on the rampage killing 100% of pigs right now.

You are warned.

Will supply you all necessary information and any amount of pigs then.

1 Like

Re: Experienced Pig Farmers Please Come In by Mide3367: 11:39am On Aug 21, 2020
Mcreloaded:

You are warned.

na true o. Pigs are dying now due to one pestilence like that
Re: Experienced Pig Farmers Please Come In by FanOfMyself: 12:38pm On Aug 21, 2020
Mcreloaded:

You are warned.

Oh ok, thanks so much sir. That's why it's always safe to ask first. I will love to keep in touch tho
Re: Experienced Pig Farmers Please Come In by Mcreloaded(m): 1:06pm On Aug 21, 2020
FanOfMyself:

Oh ok, thanks so much sir. That's why it's always safe to ask first. I will love to keep in touch tho

No problem at all but where u based
Re: Experienced Pig Farmers Please Come In by FanOfMyself: 1:26pm On Aug 21, 2020
Mcreloaded:

No problem at all but where u based
Owerri Imo State, very very likely that I will relocate to Lagos in not too far future.
Re: Experienced Pig Farmers Please Come In by Mcreloaded(m): 1:58pm On Aug 21, 2020
FanOfMyself:

Owerri Imo State, very very likely that I will relocate to Lagos in not too far future.

Ok I will be able to link you when the time comes but I am based in Edo state.

Hopefully in the next 6 months it will be safe to start pig business all over again
Re: Experienced Pig Farmers Please Come In by FanOfMyself: 2:18pm On Aug 21, 2020
Mcreloaded:

Ok I will be able to link you when the time comes but I am based in Edo state.

Hopefully in the next 6 months it will be safe to start pig business all over again
Okay, please but you can try answering some questions in the original post
Re: Experienced Pig Farmers Please Come In by Mcreloaded(m): 2:35pm On Aug 21, 2020
FanOfMyself:

Okay, please but you can try answering some questions in the original post

Save some more.

You plan to have 2 pregnant pigs to start in a 2 room, well 2 rooms won't be enough in 4 months time as the pigs will need more space with the winners.

The boar it self will take up one room because you can't leave the boar with a pregnant pig.

Next year don't be surprised if a pregnant pig will be up to N100 000 naira as only a few people will have few breeding pigs for sale due to the African swine fever.

For your information you will start with minimum of 5 rooms because when the 2 pregnant pigs start giving birth you will need to expand and so it's better you plan ahead.

As for the feed make sure you get feed from brewery waste also known as spent grain.

Source for other means of feeding locally.

Google is your friend for any more information about pig farming
Re: Experienced Pig Farmers Please Come In by FanOfMyself: 2:58pm On Aug 21, 2020
Mcreloaded:

Save some more.

You plan to have 2 pregnant pigs to start in a 2 room, well 2 rooms won't be enough in 4 months time as the pigs will need more space with the winners.

The boar it self will take up one room because you can't leave the boar with a pregnant pig.

Next year don't be surprised if a pregnant pig will be up to N100 000 naira as only a few people will have few breeding pigs for sale due to the African swine fever.

For your information you will start with minimum of 5 rooms because when the 2 pregnant pigs start giving birth you will need to expand and so it's better you plan ahead.

As for the feed make sure you get feed from brewery waste also known as spent grain.

Source for other means of feeding locally.

Google is your friend for any more information about pig farming
Wow, thanks for your input. I will make some adjustments then. Maybe increase the budget or go for one female pig then

(1) (Reply)

Anchor Borrowers Scheme And Dashed Hope Of Cotton Farmers In Adamawa / Fish Farming Success Bundle / Powerful And Elegant: Yunmai Slim Chic Massage Gun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.