Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,278 members, 7,822,371 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:36 AM

Let’s Talk About Pillows - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Let’s Talk About Pillows (1368 Views)

Nigerian Men Talk About Vasectomies / What To Know About Pillows / Married Men Sleeping With Their Wife's Sister Or Maid: Let's Talk About It. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let’s Talk About Pillows by Y4all: 1:51pm On Aug 21, 2020
Pillows have been in existence since time immemorial. Both humans and animals have been known to use pillows in different ways, from resting their heads on the bodies or arms to using other conventional materials to support their heads during sleep for comfort. So now, let’s see what a pillow really is. According to Wikipedia, the word pillow comes from Middle English pilwe, from Old English Pyle (akin to Old High German pfuliwi) and from Latin pulvinus. The first known use of the word pillow was before the 12th century.

A pillow is a material or object used for support of the body, especially the head. It is used at rest for comfort, therapy, or decoration. Pillows are used by many species, including humans. There are different types of pillows; they include throw pillows, body pillows, decorative pillows, and many more. Pillows that aid sleeping is a form of bedding that supports the head and neck. Other types of pillows are designed to support the body when lying down or sitting. Pillows usually are made of fabrics that are stuffed with either soft synthetic materials or feathers and they come in different sizes and shapes. Pillows historically have been made from a variety of natural materials and are still attainable in different parts of the world to date.

TYPES OF PILLOW
Pillows are usually classified based on their components and uses, let us take a look. at some of them.

FEATHER PILLOWS
As its name suggests, feather pillows are pillows with feather stuffing, they are nature’s natural spring and offer conformability, softness and support. While some would prefer a firm pillow, a very soft one can be very suitable.

DOWN PILLOWS
This is another variety of the feather pillows, the only difference is that the feathers used in down pillows have no quills. They are soft and gentle to the skin; they are also fluffy, light, and cozy but are not meant to provide support.

MEMORY PILLOWS
The memory pillow is made mainly from synthetic materials that remember you all night long. You stay comfortable because this pillow adjusts to the shape of its user, which allows the shoulder, neck, and head to rest in its natural position. This pillow molds to your head and self-adjusts itself as you move during the night. Memory pillows bounce back to their natural shape as soon as you get up.

NECK PILLOWS
This type of pillow allows your head and neck to be perfectly positioned during sleep by providing adequate support to the spine.

BODY PILLOWS
A typical body pillow measures up to 54 inches and is ideal for cuddling. They are typically placed between your legs to provide support for the hip and lower back. They are recommended for pregnant women. They are great for cuddling up to and hugging during sleep.

LUMBAR PILLOWS
These pillows work wonders for people suffering from pain in the lower back, they provide support just above the lumbar area allowing the lower back to relax in its natural position.

WEDGE PILLOWS
Wedge pillows are triangular in shape. You can use them to support different areas of your body. These pillows are made of foam, polyester fiberfill, or a combination of both. They’re great for reading in bed or for propping your upper body up to help ease acid reflux. A wedge pillow can also elevate your legs and feet to help relieve the discomfort of varicose veins. Wedge pillows are perfect for pregnancy and can help prop up the belly during the second or third trimesters.

THROW PILLOWS
These types of pillows mostly serve for aesthetic purposes; they are usually placed on sofas for decorative purposes but have been also known to be placed in bed. Because they are decorative in color, they often come in the same color as the curtains or rugs in a room, aiding color accents.

Source: https://www.wincofoam.com/lets-talk-about-pillowsthings-you-may-not-know-about-pillows/

Re: Let’s Talk About Pillows by dettemanon(m): 5:20pm On Sep 07, 2021
Thank you for the informative article!
Re: Let’s Talk About Pillows by ridosken(m): 5:33pm On Sep 07, 2021
Thank you for sharing! I'm just choosing a new pillow for myself, so I'm considering various options. I'm still leaning towards a feather pillow, but I'm not sure yet.
A friend recommended a good store with pillows, where they will consult me — bedselection.co.uk. Maybe someone used their services? I would like to know your opinion about their service and assortment. After all, pillows are an essential item in the bedroom.
My girlfriend generally sleeps without a pillow, but I can't imagine how she does it. After sleeping without a pillow, my neck and headache wildly.
Re: Let’s Talk About Pillows by Y4all: 3:54pm On Sep 08, 2021
ridosken:
Thank you for sharing! I'm just choosing a new pillow for myself, so I'm considering various options. I'm still leaning towards a feather pillow, but I'm not sure yet.

Why not try a memory foam pillow, it will give you remarkable support for your neck and head.

(1) (Reply)

Cost Of Living In Osogbo / - / Please Advise My Friend Who Feels Missing Out On The Harsh Realities Of Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.