Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,066 members, 7,810,976 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:53 PM

Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? (3344 Views)

Oppo Produces Cool Devices But Why Are They So Overpriced? / Why Are JUMIA Products Overpriced / Six Months After: Is The Iphone X Overpriced Or Worth It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? by superemmy(m): 7:37pm On Aug 22, 2020
Good Evening Nairalanders,

Let me state that for the record I've been an ardent android user, and my android devices have served me well.

My last phone was a Xiaomi Mi Max 2 which I used for close to four good years and never for one day did I experience any lag issues or problems with the phone till this month.

It fell from a couple of stairs resulting in the screen being shattered.

Back to the topic, well I wanted to try my hands on something new. So I decided to browse through for an Iphone according to my work needs, research and also out of human curiosity as it is normal for a human being to try out new things.

In my ordeal, I discovered Iphones especially the latest ones are overpriced sometimes almost to the tune of N600,000.00 with the lesser valued ones being more than a 100k.

Even though I'm able, capable and well to do to afford such a device. I wonder if my ancestors would be happy with me if I splash such an outrageous amount on an object which will definitely depreciate in a few years.

Is it just that our Naira doesn't have any value, or the mental perception of the iphone as a luxury gadget or corona or what. Please someone should explain. Why an Iphone is overpriced in Nigeria

7 Likes

Re: Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? by MJBOLT: 7:46pm On Aug 22, 2020
probably due to exchange rate

3 Likes

Re: Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? by hisgrace090: 7:52pm On Aug 22, 2020
With our ever rising inflation, what do you expect?

4 Likes

Re: Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? by superemmy(m): 8:18pm On Aug 22, 2020
hisgrace090:
With our ever rising inflation, what do you expect?

does this Inflation affect other products so drastically as it does the iphone?

1 Like

Re: Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? by taiwosamwell(m): 8:54pm On Aug 22, 2020
It's the exchange rate oo
No iPhone has cost more than $1500 which is even less than N600,000
Re: Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? by hisgrace090: 9:14pm On Aug 22, 2020
superemmy:

The tiniest mackerel ice fish now cost around 400 naira while meat sellers hardly sale 500 naira own today as the suffering masses groans under severe hardship.

A cup of gari goese for 80 naira in some places as the suffering continues.

Let's start with basic things that ought to have not affected.

13 Likes

Re: Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? by johnglefury(m): 10:40pm On Aug 22, 2020
1) It is not manufactured here.
2) It is considered a luxury item in some quaters.
3) Exchange rate.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? by starbuck(f): 5:07am On Aug 23, 2020
Poster, do giveaway for us na shocked
Re: Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? by walesho(m): 8:44am On Aug 23, 2020
And iPhone is overrated, Google Pixel is dope
Re: Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? by Kunja2: 8:58am On Aug 23, 2020
Cost of bring it here and cost of naira to dollar.

1 Like

Re: Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? by Otunana: 9:51am On Aug 23, 2020
walesho:
And iPhone is overrated, Google Pixel is dope
Na so
Re: Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? by jedisco(m): 10:41am On Aug 23, 2020
superemmy:

Let me state that for the record I've been an ardent android user, and my android devices have served me well.

My last phone was a Xiaomi Mi Max 2 which I used for close to four good years and never for one day did I experience any lag issues or problems with the phone till this month.

Back to the topic, well I wanted to try my hands on something new. So I decided to browse through for an Iphone according to my work needs, research and also out of human curiosity as it is normal for a human being to try out new things.

In my ordeal, I discovered Iphones especially the latest ones are overpriced sometimes almost to the tune of N600,000.00 with the lesser valued ones being more than a 100k.

Even though I'm able, capable and well to do to afford such a device. I wonder if my ancestors would be happy with me if I splash such an outrageous amount on an object which will definitely depreciate in a few years.

Is it just that our Naira doesn't have any value, or the mental perception of the iphone as a luxury gadget or corona or what. Please someone should explain. Why an Iphone is overpriced in Nigeria

@op iPhones have traditionally been regarded as premium and have been relatively more expensive. The exchange rate has also played a role.

On another note, I know the asset vs liability crew will soon arrive. I find it upsetting when people assume the role of financial advisors for others to determine what is sensible to buy and not. There are cars that go for 5mil and others for 50 mill, a plot of land somewhere can go for 1 mil and same sized plot elsewhere can ho for 500mil. Anything we buy whether assests or liabilities usually has cheaper and more expensive ones. People should go for what they like and let others make their decisions. There are multiple roads to success

1 Like

Re: Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? by Jiovanni(m): 11:33am On Aug 23, 2020
Exchange Rate na hin go cause am
but the price is too Outrageous

contact me I have better prices

superemmy:

Re: Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? by meobizy(f): 11:55am On Aug 23, 2020
Let me tell you a secret: it is more expensive in foreign countries. I learned that the hard way.

1 Like

Re: Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? by KrazyDave16(m): 1:34pm On Aug 23, 2020
Y'all mentioning FX and other shii... That got nothing to do with the prices.

Apple always looks for ways to cut down production costs every year while making some sacrifices (battery capacity, sapphire that's just glass) but despite it the prices are still ridiculous

1 Like

Re: Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? by OYENIYIJK: 1:42pm On Aug 23, 2020
They are also complaining of the money picker do charge them and that is for second hand iPhones. And for shipping, the exchange rate na wahala and that is applicable to used iPhone and new ones.

That said, We do not import Garri and its price has increased, what much more of things we import.
Re: Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? by etrange: 2:41pm On Aug 23, 2020
It's almost the same price here in the Americas but it's not really considered costly because the cost of production is in the same currency as the purchasing cost. Buying iPhone in Nigeria is like earning in Naira and spending in dollars. Regardless of the item, it'll still appear expensive. It's just like some of us that pay close to N500,000/month on rent but no, we're not rich if you consider that in dollars. So getting an iPhone in Nigeria is like paying house rent for someone in America.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? by vickydankal(f): 3:59pm On Aug 23, 2020
My brother nothing special oooo
It was my husband that brought me into this iPhone thing, I was enjoying my tecno with its features that I can manipulate unlike iPhone. I think the over price is because:
1. Currency conversion rate
2. Greed on the side of the sellers
3. Mentality of the poor that iPhone makes me rich
4. iPhone is a Special brand

Add yours

But I still miss my Android ooooo

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Aug 23, 2020
1 reason only camera
Re: Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? by superemmy(m): 11:46pm On Aug 23, 2020
meobizy:
Let me tell you a secret: it is more expensive in foreign countries. I learned that the hard way.

Really
Re: Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? by Jiovanni(m): 12:54am On Aug 24, 2020
superemmy:

Really

Bro Ill give u Iphone 11 pro max 400k plus
if u ready shoot me a msg

other iPhones available too at cheaper rate

Re: Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? by scarycuteface(m): 9:37am On Aug 24, 2020
Its definitely exchange rate
Re: Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? by ICEWIN: 5:49pm On Aug 24, 2020
YES
superemmy:

Re: Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? by ICEWIN: 5:51pm On Aug 24, 2020
I support you on this.
u just said it all.
etrange:
It's almost the same price here in the Americas but it's not really considered costly because the cost of production is in the same currency as the purchasing cost. Buying iPhone in Nigeria is like earning in Naira and spending in dollars. Regardless of the item, it'll still appear expensive. It's just like some of us that pay close to N500,000/month on rent but no, we're not rich if you consider that in dollars. So getting an iPhone in Nigeria is like paying house rent for someone in America.
Re: Why Is The Iphone So Overpriced In Nigeria? by walesho(m): 2:41pm On Aug 25, 2020
GBOKASINCHA:
1 reason only camera

Try Google Pixel

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Recover Deleted Message Thread On ANDROID? / Xiaomi Redmi 3s | The 5 Inches Dragon / My Phone's Torch Burnt My Finger.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.