Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,758 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:56 AM

Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria (2038 Views)

Embracing The Climb: Challenges Faced By Beginner Python Programmers / Social Media Is Lying To Beginner Developers. / Developers In The House, Show Us What You're Currently Working On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by elantraceey(f): 8:13am On Aug 26, 2020
Jezking:
OK, everything you said is true to some extent. I'm not disputing any bit of it but here is something I think y'all hear.

I'm a self taught developer. True life story

I always wanted to code, so badly more than anything in the world but I was already doing graphic designs and had woes with the person who was teaching me graphics. So I decided to learn Web design on my own. I decided I was going to do it no matter what.

I decided to go for night class for the next 90days so I always have light. Also, Airtel night plan was #25 for 500MB and you could do it as many times as possible.

To cut the long story short I was like the best designer at my school after 90days. I now write React.js (that was acquired much later). There were nights with no light in school, also nights when Airtel network jonzed, but I never stopped.

In short just put your mind to it and be ready for anything and trust me even when you learn web development finish, get another skill as back up because this is Nigeria and we developers don't really get appreciated here!

In order news here is something I did in boredom MEMORY GAME

Wow, nice one. I'm self-taught too but I'm still stucked in the basics because of some challenges and a lot of things I'm involved in but I'll be focusing soon and I hope I'll be able to devise a plan that'll work for me like yours.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by jetroolowole(m): 9:50am On Aug 26, 2020
elantraceey:

Wow, nice one. I'm self-taught too but I'm still stucked in the basics because of some challenges and a lot of things I'm involved in but I'll be focusing soon and I hope I'll be able to devise a plan that'll work for me like yours.
please do
Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by SpambotLeaveMeNa: 12:36pm On Aug 26, 2020
Jezking:
OK, everything you said is true to some extent. I'm not disputing any bit of it but here is something I think y'all hear.

I always wanted to code, so badly more than anything in the world but I was already doing graphic designs and had woes with the person who was teaching me graphics. So I decided to learn Web design on my own. I decided I was going to do it no matter what.

I decided to go for night class for the next 90days so I always have light. Also, Airtel night plan was #25 for 500MB and you could do it as many times as possible.

To cut the long story short I was like the best designer at my school after 90days. I now write React.js (that was acquired much later). There were nights with no light in school, also nights when Airtel network jonzed, but I never stopped.

In short just put your mind to it and be ready for anything and trust me even when you learn web development finish, get another skill as back up because this is Nigeria and we developers don't really get appreciated here!

Cc: Chingel5, Karleb, SpambotLeaveMeNa, SegFault, ElanTraceey and finally BOSS Jetroolowole.

Ohh...boss...Tho data is my major obstacle. I am already doing Java. Imo... I think I might have gone far in it...
Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by jetroolowole(m): 7:40am On Aug 27, 2020
SpambotLeaveMeNa:

Ohh...boss...Tho data is my major obstacle. I am already doing Java. Imo... I think I might have gone far in it...
Thanks
Data problems is one of the reasons we launch the #1Family1Coder campaign. We include a data pool feature where participants will qualify for free data and internet access.
Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by Millerules(m): 1:45pm On Aug 27, 2020
Being realistic is what would make a programmer understand what he/she is up against.

Having a "money-first" approach to programming is bad I agree, also you will be a broke programmer if you don't think business along with your skill. It's when you think business and innovation that you'll be able to make money.

Also, yes, a lot of people are jumping on programming lately. But, let me ask you as a programmer is programming easy? Man lots of thought processing oo (aside basic web dev maybe grin). Most of those would likely jump out in no time.

And back to the topic. Power is really the major issue for me. Was bored lately, got on Reddit to get an app idea to play on, being stuck for two days now no light and other hustle dey.
Hopefully I will make it a codelab on here when am done sha to keep the forum interesting.

Last last, if you are good money will definitely find you.

SegFault:
And I forgot to mention one thing, if you want to become a programmer you have to be pessimistic (theres no such thing as realism suck it up bro), if you are learning to make money, I pity you the most. Think of it as a hobby lest it will end in tears, some sort of industrial revolution is happening in Nigeria and jobs like Programming, graphics design, photography are becoming more competitive because more and more people are going into these fields and it's about to become a tough battle, if you are entering into the field newly, just expect nothing, because you will be disappointed not to mention the prospects of something stupid like a spoilt laptop, bankruptcy in the family and other disasters that could occur that will pull you down to the ground and yes, I just remembered Africans especially Nigerians find it hard to get clients, unfortunately westerners appreciate tech more than we Africans face facts and with the recent rise in fraudulent crimes from this part of the country and thanks to the media, an average foreigner looks down on us as fraudsters, PayPal has closed its docks to us (you can only send but not receive cash) and PayPal is a platform for payment used by many freelance websites, I heard there's a way through but do that research yourself, fact is that unfortunately hostility towards Nigerians has grown and that will affect we programmers terribly.

Real truth from a fellow programmer, if you love writing fiction, just go and write, there are not much interesting contemporary reads out there so just write good books, writing has its negative sides like finding an editor and a publisher but its gain is sweet man, you can also write articles and all, less brain work for more money, that is so on point. If you can paint or draw just try your luck at it, you might produce a thousand dollar worth painting or even more cool. If you love business then go at it, because if you think programming must/will (noticed I used must/will, by saying this I am assuming you are one of those foolish optimists that deny life is empty and full of suffering and just by "thinking positively" good things will happen) fetch you with a stable source of living, face reality man. It might not happen (a 70% chance yes).
Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:47pm On Aug 27, 2020
Millerules:
Being realistic is what would make a programmer understand what he/she is up against.

Having a "money-first" approach to programming is bad I agree, also you will be a broke programmer if you don't think business along with your skill. It's when you think business and innovation that you'll be able to make money.

Also, yes, a lot of people are jumping on programming lately. But, let me ask you as a programmer is programming easy? Man lots of thought processing oo (aside basic web dev maybe grin). Most of those would likely jump out in no time.

And back to the topic. Power is really the major issue for me. Was bored lately, got on Reddit to get an app idea to play on, being stuck for two days now no light and other hustle dey.
Hopefully I will make it a codelab on here when am done sha to keep the forum interesting.

Last last, if you are good money will definitely find you.

That's the problem, programming is not easy at all. But though everything you said is true.
Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by Millerules(m): 1:48pm On Aug 27, 2020
this is nice.

Jezking:

Cc: Chingel5, Karleb, SpambotLeaveMeNa, SegFault, ElanTraceey and finally BOSS Jetroolowole.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by 3fcc: 7:53pm On Aug 27, 2020
MORE INFO
Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by jetroolowole(m): 8:50pm On Aug 27, 2020
3fcc:
MORE INFO
Text FEP PROPOSAL to Zero Seven Zero Six Six Nine Nine Nine Four Six Six on WhatsApp
Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by Deicide: 9:49pm On Aug 27, 2020
You forgot to mention electricity
Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by chingle5(m): 9:53pm On Aug 27, 2020
Jezking:

It it doesn't necessarily need to add another skills if one is really creative... But it is also an added advantage and I really like the memory game reminded me about the old game I use to play on my computer when I was 8 yrs....

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by chingle5(m): 9:57pm On Aug 27, 2020
If you are really creative you can do something better than nairaland.... Still learning my web development tutorial

Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by 3fcc: 12:17am On Aug 28, 2020
chingle5:
If you are really creative you can do something better than nairaland.... Still learning my web development tutorial

Bro, are these materials? If yes where can I meet you to have it? pls
Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by 3fcc: 12:18am On Aug 28, 2020
jetroolowole:
Text FEP PROPOSAL to Zero Seven Zero Six Six Nine Nine Nine Four Six Six on WhatsApp

Done
Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:42am On Aug 28, 2020
chingle5:

It it doesn't necessarily need to add another skills if one is really creative... But it is also an added advantage and I really like the memory game reminded me about the old game I use to play on my computer when I was 8 yrs....

I feel you dear! Thanks anyways cool

Millerules:
this is nice.

Thank you SIR! smiley

SpambotLeaveMeNa:

Thanks

I'm rooting for you as your #1 fan... wink

jetroolowole:
That's the spirit. Most Developers in Nigeria are not innovative that's why opportunities are limited.
Spoken like a wise man! grin

elantraceey:

Please do. I'd love to help but... (should I say unfortunately or fortunately).... I don't write Java undecided

Oga SegFault your head dey there! I love you for everything you said On point 100! cool
Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by jetroolowole(m): 4:44am On Aug 28, 2020
Deicide:
You forgot to mention electricity
it's their in my write up
Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by jetroolowole(m): 4:46am On Aug 28, 2020
chingle5:
I totally agree with you. With so many problems facing Nigeria and the world there is no limit to what you can create.
Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by chingle5(m): 7:28am On Aug 28, 2020
jetroolowole:
I totally agree with you. With so many problems facing Nigeria and the world there is no limit to what you can create.

Yes I agree.... Many people complain abt Nigeria bt for me I see it as a gold mine coz there is a lot of problem and providing solutions to problems using one skills and creative equals wealth and more knowledge
Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by chingle5(m): 7:33am On Aug 28, 2020
3fcc:

Bro, are these materials? If yes where can I meet you to have it? pls

Well I stay in Lagos around palm-groove side
Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by jetroolowole(m): 9:34am On Aug 28, 2020
chingle5:

Yes I agree.... Many people complain abt Nigeria bt for me I see it as a gold mine coz there is a lot of problem and providing solutions to problems using one skills and creative equals wealth and more knowledge
you are on point. That's what I did after my self-learning training. I built my first product. Currently it's been sponsored by UNICEF.
Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by chingle5(m): 9:41am On Aug 28, 2020
jetroolowole:
you are on point. That's what I did after my self-learning training. I built my first product. Currently it's been sponsored by UNICEF.

Nice one bro thumbs up cool

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by chingle5(m): 5:46pm On Aug 28, 2020
Guy so I have figure out a way to deal with the light issue bt it cost some money you can check this my tread for more https://www.nairaland.com/6082526/where-get-electricity-work-study#93324888

Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:51am On Aug 29, 2020
This is frontpage material oooo..
Lalasticala
Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by chingle5(m): 12:45pm On Sep 05, 2020
Talk24:
Lalasticala

Just leave that mod I go snd arrow for am nw
Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by jetroolowole(m): 2:36pm On Sep 05, 2020
Talk24:
Lalasticala
Since it's not political, mod won't look the way
Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by marshalcarter: 5:18am On Feb 08, 2021
jetroolowole:
Do you want to learn it?
yes please
Re: Top 5 Challenges Faced By Beginner Developers In Nigeria by mic360(m): 3:26am On Feb 09, 2021

(1) (2) (Reply)

Avoid Zuga Coin It Is A Scam Second Mmm / A Thread To Discuss All Things Fintech In Nigeria / Get Your Online Banking Website Now. Hire The Best Web Developer.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.