Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,878 members, 7,821,057 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:35 AM

Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? (31772 Views)

Napoli confirms Osimhen to join Madrid, PSG or an EPL club at the end of season / Lionel Messi Has Chosen PSG As His Next Club - Bleacher Report / Champions League Permutations: How Inter, PSG And Liverpool Can Progress (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by obembet(f): 6:58pm On Aug 25, 2020
Lionel Messi has told Barcelona via fax that he wants to leave the club on a free transfer this summer.

The incredible development potentially puts the 33-year-old within reach of a dramatic move to Manchester City and a reunion with Pep Guardiola... but they aren't the only club likely to be vying for his signature.

With Manchester United, PSG, Inter Milan and Juventus also showing interest, Sportsmail have looked at the favourites to land Messi this summer.

Manchester City - 6/4 to sign Messi

The links with the Etihad Stadium just simply will not go away.

The ongoing coronavirus pandemic means these are testing financial times for all football clubs but, when it really comes down to it, City have all the money they need.

Recently coming out victorious from their CAS appeal against UEFA's claims of Financial Fair Play breaches, City will feel more confident than ever before in their model of operation.

Pulling off the signing of Messi, however, would be bigger than anything that has gone before. An obvious lure comes in the form of boss Pep Guardiola, who honed Messi into the finest footballer on the continent, along with Cristiano Ronaldo, and built his great Barca side around him.

Still, City would require a way around the astronomical buy-out fee to keep the books balanced and would rely on Barca accepting a reduced bid this summer. Or wait until January to negotiate openly with Messi.

Thereafter, however, City could still comfortably meet Messi's mammoth annual wages and ensure he is still the most well-paid footballer in the world.

Inter Milan - 3/1 to sign Messi
Most European clubs have been borderline silent when it comes to the subject of Messi... except Inter.

Over at the San Siro, Messi's name is on the lips of everybody, and his image was even beamed onto the Milan's iconic Duomo cathedral towards the end of the season by Inter's Chinese owners. (They claimed this was to promote coverage of their side's fixture with Napoli, though it all seems rather convenient.)

As recently as last week former Inter director Massimiliano Mirabelli made the admission that a long-term plan to acquire Messi has been in the pipeline for several years, and was something the club's owners identified in their very first meeting.

Inter appear the most likely side to tempt Barca with a bid this summer and, is it important to note, that while the Spanish giants have refused to sell, this is the last window in which they can receive a fee for their talisman.

Preferably, of course, Inter would want to take Messi on as a free agent and it has been speculated that long-time sponsors Pirelli would help to make up the player's huge wages with a series of added incentives.

Paris Saint-Germain - 3/1 to sign Messi

PSG have a track record when it comes to audaciously taking prized jewels from Barcelona.

It is fair to say the relationship between the two clubs has been non-existent ever since the bad blood of the Neymar saga.

While they already don't want to lose Messi, Barca would fight tooth and nail to ensure PSG do not get their hands on the Argentine.

Interestingly, the Parisians could offer Neymar as part of a complex switch, though no murmurs have left the Parc des Princes suggesting that this is even being considered as a possibility.

Juventus - 4/1 to sign Messi

Juve shocked the world when they moved swiftly to get Cristiano Ronaldo out of Real Madrid, so surely they could not be looking to pull this off again with Messi?

The reigning Serie A champions are rank outsiders when it comes to Messi's possible destination, but have shown the nous and know-how to get a huge deal done.

Recent reports in Spain sensationally suggested Juve had even made contact with Barca to offer Ronaldo, in order to clear his hefty £28m annual earnings from their wage bill.

Such talk was dismissed by the club, though all indications are that Juve are cutting back on their spending prowess and looking to invest in the future under an energetic new manager in Andrea Pirlo.

While Messi naturally appeals, the fact he turns 34 next June does not.

Manchester United - 13/2 to sign Messi

When it comes to financial rivalry United can certainly wield their might alongside their wealthy neighbours.

Whether United are interested in Messi or not, they will be linked with the superstar purely due to their status as one of the few sides who could realistically package a deal together.

From a marketing perspective this would be a dream, given that Messi personally has a global fan base which exceeds that of most Premier League teams.

He would, of course, also propel United back into Premier League and European contention and ensure the eyes of the world are glued to Old Trafford week-in, week-out.

All that said, his age, 33, simply does not fit into United's new ways of doing things. Too many times in recent years have the Red Devils been burnt by offering lucrative deals to ageing stars.

Players in Ole Gunnar Solkskjaer's match-day squads now average around 25 years old, and that looks set to be the benchmark heading into the future.

Major League Soccer (MLS) - 12/1 to sign Messi

As with China, a move to the United States would represent a huge compromise by Messi on his standing in the football world.

While it would be the biggest coup in the history of American soccer, with a host of teams rapidly crunching the numbers to work out if a deal is possible, it appears to be a non-starter.

The quality of living may well appeal to Messi much more, with the option of living in one of the USA's most glamorous cities with possibly a greater degree of anonymity than he would be afforded in Europe.

Still, if this one was to happen, it would likely occur several years down the line.

Source: https://talksport.com/football/750919/llionel-messi-next-club-barcelona-man-city-man-united-psg/amp/

4 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by fabulous05(m): 7:00pm On Aug 25, 2020
As a super fan, I’m dying to see Messi in another club and in another jersey. It will be the best season of my life

Believe that

85 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by ojaysam25(m): 7:04pm On Aug 25, 2020
Messi,please think deeply before making this decision,there are no eibar,Mallorca or huesca in the premier league....
Going to man city or inter would be a huge mistake due to the physicality in those league....it is better you stick to barca and claim local champion there.....rather than tarnishing your great image in other league..
If you fail which is 90% likely you might not be regarded as a worthy deputy to ronaldo...it is better to visualize your success in other league rather than fail in reality....a word is enough for the wise...

86 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by obembet(f): 7:08pm On Aug 25, 2020
fabulous05:
As a super fan, I’m dying to see Messi in another club and in another jersey. It will be the best season of my life

Believe that

Now the messi will be leaving . The golden era for the Barcelona is over. Barcelona will become like Ac milan and My dear club (Manchester united). Thank you legend for everything You have done for this club. You were more than a club to us as football fans. But i think time has come to leave But you can bring glory to other club Best of luck

GGMU ( CR7 BLOOD)

55 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by EmptyGarden(m): 7:13pm On Aug 25, 2020
With over half a billion dollar release clause? Not happening!

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by gurunlocker: 7:16pm On Aug 25, 2020
obembet:

Now the messi will be leaving . The golden era for the Barcelona is over. Barcelona will become like Ac milan and My dear club (Manchester united). Thank you legend for everything You have done for this club. You were more than a club to us as football fans. But i think time has come to leave But you can bring glory to other club Best of luck

GGMU ( CR7 BLOOD)

Very wrong.... Barcelona won't become like Man utd or Milan.

It might take a season to pick up if Messi leaves. Barcelona isn't like every other teams, they have their style of play and they build younger ones for that style.

If Messi leaves, it would help Barcelona as they won't focus on 1 man to always deliver for them. It will be more of a team.

Surely, Barcelona will miss Messi, but Barcelona won't be another Milan or Man utd.

Remember Madrid? Good.....

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by DrayZee: 7:18pm On Aug 25, 2020
E don happen grin grin grin

But Barcelona/Messi fans shouldn’t be scared. It wouldn’t be beyond him to make a statement like this and then turn around some time in the future. That’s how we heard he was retiring from international football last time.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by eskorelvis: 7:20pm On Aug 25, 2020
EmptyGarden:
With over half a billion dollar release clause? Not happening!

He can terminate his contract himself, it's in the contract

38 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by Abraham22(m): 7:25pm On Aug 25, 2020
laliga fans would reduce

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by DrayZee: 7:26pm On Aug 25, 2020
gurunlocker:

It might take a season to pick up if Messi leaves. Barcelona isn't like every other teams, they have their style of play and they build younger ones for that style.

If Messi leaves, it would help Barcelona as they won't focus on 1 man to always deliver for them. It will be more of a team.

Surely, Barcelona will miss Messi, but Barcelona won't be another Milan or Man utd.

Madrid still has most of its legends there. Only Ronaldo (and Bale) have left. Barcelona has lost Xavi, Iniesta, Neymar and potentially Suarez. That’s quite the loss. Messi is their figurehead...losing him will cause Barcelona serious problems. And the fact that he wants to leave for free means they won’t even get enough money from him to sign other big players.
Messi will literally cripple Barcelona with such a move.

30 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by eskorelvis: 7:28pm On Aug 25, 2020
gurunlocker:

Lol, this guy. Madrid is NOT a one man team, theyre known for signing big players and they're good to go but in barca's case it's much different. They adpot d style of pass d ball to Messi and expect him to do everything. Haven't u watched matches where Messi was absent for Barcelona? I remember their first Copa del Rey match against a tiny team, they almost lost if not for d introduction of Griezmann. Messi was not in d squad for that game. Truth is Madrid had a very bad season d year Ronaldo left and that's cos it was more of a psychological and mental thing. Who wud Barca look to on those UCL nights where they need magic to win? Messi has done a lot that he's done a lot more on his own, Ronaldo had d players supporting him to score lots of goals while at Madrid, in d absense of a renowned goal scorer they suffered cos they have a pretty average defense and when the attack isn't firing the defense will suffer. Hope u can get my point in a nutshell, Madrid's case is way different from Barcelona

22 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Aug 25, 2020
My Advice 4 Messi Is Dat He Shouldn't Leave D Club. He Should Think Twice B4 Taking His Decision. It's Better 2 Be Were U Are Celebrated Dan 2 Be Were U Will Be Tolerated.

3 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by chichijas(m): 7:36pm On Aug 25, 2020
Messi anywhere you go i'm with you.

ojaysam25:
Messi,please think deeply before making this decision,there are no eibar,Mallorca or huesca in the premier league....
Going to man city or inter would be a huge mistake due to the physicality in those league....it is better you stick to barca and claim local champion there.....rather than tarnishing your great image in other league..
If you fail which is 90% likely you might not be regarded as equal to ronaldo...it is better to visualize your success in other league rather than fail in reality....a word is enough for the wise...

26 goals against EPL top six teams in 34 appearance..

imagine wetin go happen when he meet Fulham, Westham, Watford and co.

63 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by ojaysam25(m): 7:40pm On Aug 25, 2020
chichijas:
Messi anywhere you go i'm with you.

26 goals against EPL top six teams in 34 appearance..

imagine wetin go happen when he meet Fulham, Westham, Watford and co.
grin....without his regular guns...

8 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by paulolee(m): 7:56pm On Aug 25, 2020
chai...messi pls na...jus one more season and you would be imoressed with koeman rebuilding plans..
Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by obonujoker(m): 8:00pm On Aug 25, 2020
If Messi leaves barcelona, he must join Arsenal grin or Man utd, not easy teams like Man city or PSG....

However, who go come dey watch laliga now grin

2 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by oluwatosink: 8:09pm On Aug 25, 2020
Good News . Will like to see him play for other Clubs. Right now Barcelona is really frustrating for him.

9 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by oluwatosink: 8:17pm On Aug 25, 2020
Truvel:
My Advice 4 Messi Is Dat He Shouldn't Leave D Club. He Should Think Twice B4 Taking His Decision. It's Better 2 Be Were U Are Celebrated Dan 2 Be Were U Will Be Tolerated.
Messi will be Celebrated In any clubs he moves to .
6 time balloon d or Award no be beans bro.

31 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by Nobody: 8:20pm On Aug 25, 2020
Better for d GOAT. I'd like to see u play football in more serious teams. Barca has refused to learn.

10 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Aug 25, 2020
oluwatosink:

Messi will be Celebrated In any clubs he moves to .
6 time balloon d or Award no be beans bro.
Where Is Eden Hazard Now? Former Chelsea Midfielder. Note: Some Coaches Kill Players Carreer.

7 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by chichijas(m): 8:34pm On Aug 25, 2020
ojaysam25:

grin....without his regular guns...

six goals against Tottenham, Liverpool and Manchester United in 2019 without xavi and Iniesta.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by pabon(m): 9:43pm On Aug 25, 2020
It will be difficult for Messi to leave due to his mammoth release clause. Which club can afford that fee given the current situation of the economy?

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Aug 25, 2020
obembet:

GGMU ( CR7 BLOOD)
I'm Not A Barcellona Fan But Who Told U Dat Barcellona Will Be Over? There People Like Ronaldinho & Others Who Made Impact In D Club B4 Him.

7 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by ifytrik(m): 10:10am On Aug 26, 2020
I will suport man united with my last breath if only they can help me sign this guy, but with edwoodward and ole gunersolkjear still part of man united managment i don't see any possibility of man u geting him, anyways let me continue dreaming and hoping that my dreams will come to pass.

6 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by obembet(f): 10:31am On Aug 26, 2020
ifytrik:
I will suport man united with my last breath if only they can help me sign this guy, but with edwoodward and ole gunersolkjear still part of man united managment i don't see any possibility of man u geting him, anyways let me continue dreaming and hoping that my dreams will come to pass.

I think if there is any chance and if by any means juve gets short of funds to sign messi I personally believe that all football fans would start sharing some amount of money to see LM10 and CR7 IN ONE TEAM

mynd44

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by internationalman(m): 10:34am On Aug 26, 2020
Why is no one mentioning Chelsea...

I heard Enugu Rangers have inquired for his signature too.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by Graziannizz(m): 11:56am On Aug 26, 2020
I have a feeling he's not bold enough to leave

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by GeneralPula: 11:57am On Aug 26, 2020
Chelsea!!

Nah the best club for him atm..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by Slawormir: 11:57am On Aug 26, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
I just can't imagine Messi is gonna leave

So painful

But anyway life goes on

If Messi should join mancity.....there is gonna be a problem
Kevin de bryune with Messi will give the world problem...

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi's Next Club: Man City, Inter, PSG Or Man United? by Omofloflo: 11:57am On Aug 26, 2020
Messi, anywhere u go I follow

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Wayne Rooney, Patrick Vieira Inducted Into PL 2022 Hall Of Fame (video, Pics) / Southgate Drops Raheem Sterling From England Squad After Attacking Joe Gomez / John Ene Okon Dies (ex-player)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.