Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,729 members, 7,816,999 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

How Come Only Starving Africans Are Shown On TV Programs? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / How Come Only Starving Africans Are Shown On TV Programs? (301 Views)

‘Alien Corpses’ Shown To Congress As UFO Expert Forced To Testify Under Oath / 2 Starving Afghan Boys Tied To A Wood By The Taliban For Stealing Bread (Pix) / South Africa - Starving Rioters Say They Are On Verge Of Eating Each Other(Pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Come Only Starving Africans Are Shown On TV Programs? by bjnorl: 10:50pm On Aug 25, 2020
How come only starving Africans are shown on TV programs?
When I see TV about African countries it's always about starving Africans or Africans who lives in tribes or villages without acess of techhology. But in many african countries the majority of the population live in urban areas. And have a huge porcentage of middle class. Do middle class people stay home all the time?
Re: How Come Only Starving Africans Are Shown On TV Programs? by JaneYave(f): 12:24am On Aug 26, 2020
Exactly! I often wonder why.If we must rebrand Africa to the world,we must first change our mindset
Re: How Come Only Starving Africans Are Shown On TV Programs? by meobizy(f): 8:44am On Aug 26, 2020
Watch African Voices on CNN, Marketplace Africa and Inside Africa. The hunger and poverty narrative has slowly eroded after severe criticism. I can’t remember when last I saw Africa being depicted as a jungle unless when specific visits are made to wildlife reserves.

1 Like

Re: How Come Only Starving Africans Are Shown On TV Programs? by abduljabbar4(m): 9:08am On Aug 26, 2020
The one that enraged me the most was Family Guy cartoon.

The guy was scammed by a Nigerian scammer, and the said scammer was shown to be living together with wild animals in a jungle.

It has become so bad that even India with its terrible living conditions are portraying us as jungle dwellers in their Bollywood movies.
Re: How Come Only Starving Africans Are Shown On TV Programs? by otipoju(m): 12:12pm On Aug 26, 2020
There are so called charities and non profits in the western world that ask its citizens to donate to save malnourished, homeless, starving, diseased children or women in africa.

People donate varying amounts to them and when the monies get to Africa...they can easily be siphoned without trace.

To keep this business going, images of starving and suffering Africans have to be etched in the psyche of the westerners so they can easily part with their donations.

It's a win win for the so called charities. They "help" the so called suffering Africans while they make a fortune for themselves in the process.

This is my humble opinion from observing and reflecting that in the western world nothing goes for nothing.

2 Likes

Re: How Come Only Starving Africans Are Shown On TV Programs? by TMKsouth: 9:08pm On Aug 27, 2020
Watch SABC NEWS, channel 404 on DSTV and help grow a global African news giant. SABC doesn't mind leading with a story from Zimbabwe, Kenya or Mali in their bulletins and has correspondents in major African countries.

But many people across Africa won't watch it because they are blindly patriotic and prefer to support their own national cgannels. I tried supporting NTA news by watching it from South Africa but the quality is just too bad. I've watched TVC online and it's a decent channel.

So let's stop look up to Western media to tell our stories and do it ourselves. Lets build our own global tv news channel.

3 Likes

Re: How Come Only Starving Africans Are Shown On TV Programs? by WannaHowzit(m): 9:18pm On Aug 27, 2020
meobizy:
Watch African Voices on CNN, Marketplace Africa and Inside Africa. The hunger and poverty narrative has slowly eroded after severe criticism. I can’t remember when last I saw Africa being depicted as a jungle unless when specific visits are made to wildlife reserves.

I don't watch CNN for their coverage of hard African news - they have none and the few times they do they stash it at the tailend of the bulletin read by bored studio presenters. Water of time.

(1) (Reply)

Trump Denies Mocking US Soldiers Captured And Killed In Battle / Donald Trump Jnr Urges Father To ‘fight To The Death, Go To Total War To Expose / Senator Berni Sanders Slams Trump For Failing To Concede To Biden,calls Him A..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.