Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,207 members, 7,867,510 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 05:24 PM

Buhari Proposes 12-month Time Limit For Criminal Cases - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Proposes 12-month Time Limit For Criminal Cases (462 Views)

Despite High Budget Deficit, Buhari Proposes ₦5.23 Billion To Renovate Villa / Buhari Proposes 12-Month Time Limit For Criminal Cases / BREAKING News,buhari Proposes New Salary For Teachers Equal With The Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Proposes 12-month Time Limit For Criminal Cases by iwaeda: 1:16pm On Aug 26, 2020
The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), on Wednesday, decried what he described as the “terribly slow pace” of justice administration in the Nigerian courts.

Buhari, who recalled how it took so long for the courts to decide and eventually dismiss the election petitions he filed to challenge his losses in the 2003, 2007, and 2011 presidential polls, declared that the Nigerian justice system needed an urgent reform.

He suggested that the judiciary should put a 12-month time limit on the hearing of criminal cases from the high court to the Supreme Court, while all civil cases should be concluded within 15 months.

Buhari spoke at the 60th Annual General Conference of the Nigerian Bar Association, with the theme, “Stepping Forward.”

His speech was read at the virtual conference by the Vice-President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo (SAN).

Speaking about his experience, Buhari said, “At the end, I lost all three cases. I wondered then, why it needed to take so long to arrive at a verdict and if I had won the case, someone who did not legitimately win the election would have been in office all that time.

“In 2019, I was no longer petitioner; I had now become a respondent in the case of Atiku and Buhari and the whole process took barely six months; just over six months. What was the difference? The law had changed since my own in 2003, 2007 and 2011. You had now introduced time limits for election petitions. Everything must be done within a six to eight-month period. My question then is why can’t we have a time limit for criminal cases? Why can’t we have a rule that will say a criminal trial all the way to the Supreme Court must not exceed 12 months? And why can’t we do the same for civil cases? Even if we say that civil cases must not go beyond between 12 and 15 months. I think that for me is stepping forward.”

The president equally lamented the churning out of multiple and conflicting court orders by judges, noting that in the recent leadership crisis that rocked the ruling All Progressives Congress, no fewer than eight conflicting court orders were made by different judges in a space of six weeks.

Buhari also proposed a reform of the process of judges’ appointment, recommending that aspiring judges should take tests.

https://punchng.com/buhari-proposes-12-month-time-limit-for-criminal-cases/

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Proposes 12-month Time Limit For Criminal Cases by Sirmwill: 1:20pm On Aug 26, 2020
This proposal is simply irresponsible,foolhardy,fatuous and puerile.
Well,I am not surprised since this is coming from a rattle brained and gormless president
Re: Buhari Proposes 12-month Time Limit For Criminal Cases by SmartProf(m): 1:22pm On Aug 26, 2020
There are two types of criminal cases in Nigeria. The street takes care of petty criminals and their time limit is 5minutes, while our corrupt justice system handles high profile criminals and the time limit is indefinite. With a proposal of 12 months, it may shock Nigerians that the high profile criminals will pretend to be sick for 11months, then in the 12th month, they will be granted bail. The only thing such high profile criminals suffer is that they pay some monies, present sureties, & their passports are seized in court, but nobody can tell if it is returned to them in the house cry.
Re: Buhari Proposes 12-month Time Limit For Criminal Cases by hakeemhakeem(m): 1:23pm On Aug 26, 2020
Very well said justice delayed is justice denied

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Proposes 12-month Time Limit For Criminal Cases by Flexherbal(m): 1:26pm On Aug 26, 2020
hakeemhakeem:
Very well said justice delayed is justice denied
Gbam!!!

1 Like

Re: Buhari Proposes 12-month Time Limit For Criminal Cases by okefrancis: 1:30pm On Aug 26, 2020
Vp osinbajo is always represented well

1 Like

Re: Buhari Proposes 12-month Time Limit For Criminal Cases by biGwal(m): 1:31pm On Aug 26, 2020
It couldn't have been said any better.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Proposes 12-month Time Limit For Criminal Cases by Jollylolly(f): 1:37pm On Aug 26, 2020
This move is a developmental move and this will effectuate the right of the accused to a speedy trial, further the interests of the public, including victims and witnesses, in the fair, accurate, and timely resolution of criminal cases; and to ensure the effective utilization of resources.

Little by little, the Buahri Osinbajo administration is reforming the judicial system in the country

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Proposes 12-month Time Limit For Criminal Cases by Zeesugar(f): 1:39pm On Aug 26, 2020
Justice Delayed is INJustice!
It is every man's business to see justice Done
Re: Buhari Proposes 12-month Time Limit For Criminal Cases by Nobody: 1:42pm On Aug 26, 2020
Hmm
Re: Buhari Proposes 12-month Time Limit For Criminal Cases by Shooyie: 1:45pm On Aug 26, 2020
We most definitely need reforms in the judicial sector.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Proposes 12-month Time Limit For Criminal Cases by iwaeda: 2:34pm On Aug 26, 2020
Lalastic.lala those who disobey laws making laws for us
Re: Buhari Proposes 12-month Time Limit For Criminal Cases by iwaeda: 3:02pm On Aug 26, 2020
okefrancis:
Vp osinbajo is always represented well

If only the cabal can leave total running of the country in his hands!
Re: Buhari Proposes 12-month Time Limit For Criminal Cases by Miracle1991: 4:18pm On Aug 26, 2020
Sirmwill:
This proposal is simply irresponsible,foolhardy,fatuous and puerile.
Well,I am not surprised since this is coming from a rattle brained and gormless president
when a fooooooodddooooo get free data
Re: Buhari Proposes 12-month Time Limit For Criminal Cases by Joyce95: 5:39pm On Aug 26, 2020
we really need reforms in the judicial
Re: Buhari Proposes 12-month Time Limit For Criminal Cases by duwdu: 6:04pm On Aug 26, 2020
iwaeda:
The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), on Wednesday, decried what he described as the “terribly slow pace” of justice administration in the Nigerian courts.

Buhari, who recalled how it took so long for the courts to decide and eventually dismiss the election petitions he filed to challenge his losses in the 2003, 2007, and 2011 presidential polls, declared that the Nigerian justice system needed an urgent reform.

He suggested that the judiciary should put a 12-month time limit on the hearing of criminal cases from the high court to the Supreme Court, while all civil cases should be concluded within 15 months.

Buhari spoke at the 60th Annual General Conference of the Nigerian Bar Association, with the theme, “Stepping Forward.”

His speech was read at the virtual conference by the Vice-President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo (SAN).

Speaking about his experience, Buhari said, “At the end, I lost all three cases. I wondered then, why it needed to take so long to arrive at a verdict and if I had won the case, someone who did not legitimately win the election would have been in office all that time.

“In 2019, I was no longer petitioner; I had now become a respondent in the case of Atiku and Buhari and the whole process took barely six months; just over six months. What was the difference? The law had changed since my own in 2003, 2007 and 2011. You had now introduced time limits for election petitions. Everything must be done within a six to eight-month period. My question then is why can’t we have a time limit for criminal cases? Why can’t we have a rule that will say a criminal trial all the way to the Supreme Court must not exceed 12 months? And why can’t we do the same for civil cases? Even if we say that civil cases must not go beyond between 12 and 15 months. I think that for me is stepping forward.”

The president equally lamented the churning out of multiple and conflicting court orders by judges, noting that in the recent leadership crisis that rocked the ruling All Progressives Congress, no fewer than eight conflicting court orders were made by different judges in a space of six weeks.

Buhari also proposed a reform of the process of judges’ appointment, recommending that aspiring judges should take tests.

https://punchng.com/buhari-proposes-12-month-time-limit-for-criminal-cases/

To me, if the President can get this done, his name would have been written in gold! Such a piece of legislation is that important to this country, IMHO. For one, it will help change a lot of the fundamentals that determine how our country's rules and laws are operated.

Mr. President with your executive arm + NASS + the judiciary, please, let's go!

P34c3
Re: Buhari Proposes 12-month Time Limit For Criminal Cases by duwdu: 6:09pm On Aug 26, 2020
Jollylolly:
This move is a developmental move and this will effectuate the right of the accused to a speedy trial, further the interests of the public, including victims and witnesses, in the fair, accurate, and timely resolution of criminal cases; and to ensure the effective utilization of resources.

Little by little, the Buahri Osinbajo administration is reforming the judicial system in the country

Very well said.

P34c3
Re: Buhari Proposes 12-month Time Limit For Criminal Cases by ODJ124(m): 6:09pm On Aug 26, 2020
cool cool
This is commendable.. Buhari is working..
Re: Buhari Proposes 12-month Time Limit For Criminal Cases by iwaeda: 12:07am On Aug 27, 2020
ODJ124:
cool cool This is commendable.. Buhari is working..
Sycophants spotted

(1) (Reply)

No Flights To Enugu / Post Link And Get Airtime Fast Here / Flavour, Kcee, Zoro, Yul Edochie, Master Craft, Phyno Protesting At Awkuzu SARS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.