Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,964 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:25 AM

When Things Go Wrong - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / When Things Go Wrong (3613 Views)

Here’s What Can Go Wrong With Your Car’s Radiator? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Things Go Wrong by radautoworks: 5:09am On Aug 27, 2020
Before I start, I'm posting this because no matter how good you are, things go wrong and it's not only the good we share, we share the bad as well. This story cost us both personnel and money but despite everything had a happy ending.

So a customer had a pretty new Mercedes that needed a full pump replaced. Pretty simple except... One of my techs decided that rather than do what we trained him to do and check all the lines and tank and clean/flush all associated parts he was simply going to go the kazeem route and not bother. WELL... apparently what was in the tank was so bad that it immediately ruined the newly installed pump. Story didn't end there (this was relayed to me second hand so bear with me if some detail is missing).

SOMEHOW not only did it ruin the new pump, the motor started having problems... The car was brought back for him to rectify his error (yes, terrible move but I was not consulted and found out after the fact). Long story short, the motor of this Mercedes was ruined and could not be rebuilt...

Now, this is the part I wanted to emphasize. We immediately acknowledged our error, brought in a replacement pump and motor (both of which have a one year warranty) and refunded the customer. We also had to let the tech go as it wasn't a lack of knowledge but quite simply negligence. This was particularly painful to me because I know what the tech was capable of in the past but he had recently been regressing and getting sloppy.

Did we lose the customer? No, because of how it was handled. Not only that, we got a referral out of it. All this happened while I am away for an extended period and I am incredibly proud of how my staff handled it. I only heard about it because they needed my okay to cover the cost of the replacement motor.

So there you have it, there will come a time when we will mess up. The difference is with us, we own up to it and rectify it. My staff understands that it's not that things won't go wrong, it's how you handle it when they do go wrong.

Pobody's nerfect.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Things Go Wrong by AutoElectNG: 5:47am On Aug 27, 2020
I can relate.

Been there, done that.

Sharing it after the fact is refreshingly humble.

4 Likes

Re: When Things Go Wrong by id4sho(m): 6:50am On Aug 27, 2020
radautoworks:
Before I start, I'm posting this because no matter how good you are, things go wrong and it's not only the good we share, we share the bad as well. This story cost us both personnel and money but despite everything had a happy ending.

So a customer had a pretty new Mercedes that needed a full pump replaced. Pretty simple except... One of my techs decided that rather than do what we trained him to do and check all the lines and tank and clean/flush all associated parts he was simply going to go the kazeem route and not bother. WELL... apparently what was in the tank was so bad that it immediately ruined the newly installed pump. Story didn't end there (this was relayed to me second hand so bear with me if some detail is missing).

SOMEHOW not only did it ruin the new pump, the motor started having problems... The car was brought back for him to rectify his error (yes, terrible move but I was not consulted and found out after the fact). Long story short, the motor of this Mercedes was ruined and could not be rebuilt...

Now, this is the part I wanted to emphasize. We immediately acknowledged our error, brought in a replacement pump and motor (both of which have a one year warranty) and refunded the customer. We also had to let the tech go as it wasn't a lack of knowledge but quite simply negligence. This was particularly painful to me because I know what the tech was capable of in the past but he had recently been regressing and getting sloppy.

Did we lose the customer? No, because of how it was handled. Not only that, we got a referral out of it. All this happened while I am away for an extended period and I am incredibly proud of how my staff handled it. I only heard about it because they needed my okay to cover the cost of the replacement motor.

So there you have it, there will come a time when we will mess up. The difference is with us, we own up to it and rectify it. My staff understands that it's not that things won't go wrong, it's how you handle it when they do go wrong.

Pobody's nerfect.

nice of your team

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Things Go Wrong by Nopanties: 7:04am On Aug 27, 2020
Now, that is a one of a kind service. Trust is a key factor in customer loyalty

2 Likes

Re: When Things Go Wrong by banky3w(m): 7:08am On Aug 27, 2020
Nice customer relationship. BTW what do you mean by the motor?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Things Go Wrong by Inception(m): 8:29am On Aug 27, 2020
radautoworks:

SOMEHOW not only did it ruin the new pump, the motor engine started having problems... The car was brought back for him to rectify his error (yes, terrible move but I was not consulted and found out after the fact). Long story short, the[b] motor engine [/b]of this Mercedes was ruined and could not be rebuilt...

Now, this is the part I wanted to emphasize. We immediately acknowledged our error, brought in a replacement pump and motor engine (both of which have a one year warranty) and refunded the customer. We also had to let the tech go as it wasn't a lack of knowledge but quite simply negligence. This was particularly painful to me because I know what the tech was capable of in the past but he had recently been regressing and getting sloppy.

Did we lose the customer? No, because of how it was handled. Not only that, we got a referral out of it. All this happened while I am away for an extended period and I am incredibly proud of how my staff handled it. I only heard about it because they needed my okay to cover the cost of the replacement motor engine.

Pobody's nerfect.

Americans angry

Nice gesture ... smiley

3 Likes

Re: When Things Go Wrong by uboma(m): 8:31am On Aug 27, 2020
Good one from radautoworks.

3 Likes

Re: When Things Go Wrong by asamwababy: 9:22am On Aug 27, 2020
First of its kind on nairaland.

Nice one from radautos.

Brand reputation comes before the cash.

4 Likes

Re: When Things Go Wrong by temi4fash(m): 11:01am On Aug 27, 2020
Woow this is great.

But i would like to ask, From the tech stand point:

Since he has been sloppy for a while but was never like that initially:

Can we say he was going thru some unresolved issues?

Should a query not have suffice instead of outright termination??

Would love if you could shed some light on this

radautoworks:

Pobody's nerfect.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Things Go Wrong by radautoworks: 1:22pm On Aug 27, 2020
banky3w:
Nice customer relationship. BTW what do you mean by the motor?

Engine

2 Likes

Re: When Things Go Wrong by radautoworks: 1:25pm On Aug 27, 2020
temi4fash:
Woow this is great.

But i would like to ask, From the tech stand point:

Since he has been sloppy for a while but was never like that initially:

Can we say he was going thru some unresolved issues?

Should a query not have suffice instead of outright termination??

Would love if you could shed some light on this

Nothing. He had been getting sloppy and had a few warnings prior. Things like breaking clips when taking skid plates or engine covers off and not saying anything when we had some, not cleaning up after himself... I think he got comfortable because we have been paying all of them all through the crisis whether they worked or not. It was the straw that broke the camel's back. Such a shame because he's talented.

1 Like

Re: When Things Go Wrong by temi4fash(m): 1:27pm On Aug 27, 2020
radautoworks:

Nothing. He had been getting sloppy and had a few warnings prior. Things like breaking clips when taking skid plate of and not saying anything when we had some, not cleaning up after himself... I think he got comfortable because we have been paying all of them all through the crisis whether they worked or not. It was the straw that being the camel's back. Such a shame because he's talented.

Oh thanks for the clarification..

Some of the talented people lots of times get lackadaisical, overconfident.

4 Likes

Re: When Things Go Wrong by ThatErha: 1:50pm On Oct 21, 2020
radautoworks:

Nothing. He had been getting sloppy and had a few warnings prior. Things like breaking clips when taking skid plates or engine covers off and not saying anything when we had some, not cleaning up after himself... I think he got comfortable because we have been paying all of them all through the crisis whether they worked or not. It was the straw that broke the camel's back. Such a shame because he's talented.

Good you let him go.

It just had to be done.
Re: When Things Go Wrong by lilkech(m): 7:23pm On Oct 21, 2020
That’s awesome of you milex & carquest.

Not like many others here that will 4K up and still tell you to shut up.

Well done.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When Things Go Wrong by radautoworks: 1:49pm On Oct 28, 2020
lilkech:
That’s awesome of you milex & carquest.

Not like many others here that will 4K up and still tell you to shut up.

Well done.

Thank you
Re: When Things Go Wrong by MrHeff(m): 4:52pm On Nov 10, 2020
Hello! I recently got a honda civic. It came all the way from Kano to Lagos. It was moving fine at first but developed issues along the way. the car managed to come to Lagos in one piece but it was obviously exhausted. I know i may have to spend some money to fix it to optimum level, and i am scared of giving my car to Kazeems. It is my first ever car, so i do not know much. Your help and guide on how to go about it would be most useful. I am thinking of employing your services if need be. Please get back to me when you see this. Thanks.
Re: When Things Go Wrong by MrHeff(m): 12:08pm On Nov 11, 2020
MrHeff:
Hello! I recently got a honda civic. It came all the way from Kano to Lagos. It was moving fine at first but developed issues along the way. the car managed to come to Lagos in one piece but it was obviously exhausted. I know i may have to spend some money to fix it to optimum level, and i am scared of giving my car to Kazeems. It is my first ever car, so i do not know much. Your help and guide on how to go about it would be most useful. I am thinking of employing your services if need be. Please get back to me when you see this. Thanks.
Cc radautoworks
Re: When Things Go Wrong by naijadrivablog: 12:11pm On Nov 11, 2020
tongue
Re: When Things Go Wrong by radautoworks: 4:13pm On Nov 11, 2020
MrHeff:
Cc radautoworks

Can you bring it in because I have nothing to go on to offer advice. You can use any of the contacts in my signature below
Re: When Things Go Wrong by radautoworks: 5:57pm On Jan 10, 2021
Please watch. Covid-19 is alive and thriving in Nigeria. The people I know died in the past week in Nigeria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv4mG7xvTTU
Re: When Things Go Wrong by radautoworks: 2:39pm On Apr 11, 2021
I'm adding to this thread for two reasons:
1) like I previously said I share both the good and the bad
2) instagram @kayautodetailing deserves a shout-out everywhere I can!!

This just happened and the car was picked up today after drop-off yesterday morning.

So we did a LOT of work on a client's Cadillac Escalade. Between when the repair was completed and the customer picked up we didn't realise that the people next door had done some construction and splattered cement all over the vehicle!!! To compound matters our carwash guy tried to clean it himself and it didn't go so well.. shocked

So here I am, thinking about how I'm going to have to get a new paint job on a Cadillac Escalade asap- because it's not the customer's problem and I'll deal with my neighbor later- then I remember @kayautodetailing who I've been following on IG for about two years and met a couple of times. I decide to message him to see if anything can be done.

YOU GUYS, HE CUT HIS EASTER HOLIDAY SHORT AND FLEW BACK INTO LAGOS FOR US ON FRIDAY, STARTED WORK ON SATURDAY AND DELIVERED IT TWO HOURS AGO ON SUNDAY! cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GBJohYsjXI

As you can see, the car looks awesome and I just had to spread the word.

IG @kayautodetailing is the TRUTH.

Maybe you don't need a paintjob, you just need @kayautodetailing

1 Like

Re: When Things Go Wrong by radautoworks: 6:29pm On Jul 06, 2022
WE HEARD YOUR COMPLAINTS AND MADE SOME IMPROVEMENTS!

By far the largest complaints we ever had were about our lack of communication. With our new system, all information about your repair is at your fingertips 24/7 LIVE as it happens. Still have additional questions? You can reach your auto advisor without having to make a phone call. The message goes directly to YOUR service advisor, is logged and monitored and if they are not immediately available they will respond as soon as they are free!

BUT HOW DOES IT WORK?
When you come in, you will receive a welcome email like the one below with a link were you can monitor all aspects of your repair.

The link will take you a webpage like the one below.

From this page you can MESSAGE YOUR ADVISOR...

View the different recommended repairs and their estimated costs (broken down into parts and labor per service as well as in total)...If you scroll down the page, you can also see any findings and notes to and from your auto advisor...

And approve all or part of the estimate without ever having to come into the shop or make a phone call! Pertinent pictures will even be available to view of your vehicle repair!!! No more being placed on hold, no more waiting for a callback cool

We continue to try to improve our services and feel that this will address communication issues and help us be more green by reducing paper waste. More improvements are in the works and will communicate them to you as they come.

We thank you for your loyalty and hope this helps continue to build "customer experiences that result in loyalty".

1 Like

Re: When Things Go Wrong by skywalker240(m): 10:16am On Jul 08, 2022
radautoworks:

Pobody's nerfect.

Nice one

Nobody is perfect, even the real manufacturer's too

Please, Do you have any branch at Benin City?

If you have, where are you located at Benin
Re: When Things Go Wrong by radautoworks: 3:15pm On Jul 08, 2022
skywalker240:

Nice one

Nobody is perfect, even the real manufacturer's too

Please, Do you have any branch at Benin City?

If you have, where are you located at Benin
hello and thank you for your response. not yet, were working on it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Things Go Wrong by stanvesco(m): 7:09am On Jul 11, 2022
radautoworks:

Pobody's nerfect.

Good morning.
How are you and family today.
Please I have a working Landrover defender for an upgrade. Are you available
Re: When Things Go Wrong by radautoworks: 5:35pm On Oct 07, 2022
stanvesco:

Good morning.
How are you and family today.
Please I have a working Landrover defender for an upgrade. Are you available
omg I'm just now seeing this smh. Terribly sorry.
Re: When Things Go Wrong by stanvesco(m): 7:27pm On Oct 08, 2022
radautoworks:
omg I'm just now seeing this smh. Terribly sorry.

Are you still available for discussion?
Re: When Things Go Wrong by radautoworks: 7:59pm On Oct 08, 2022
stanvesco:

Are you still available for discussion?
yes though you're better off taking directly to Glen as he'll oversee it.
Re: When Things Go Wrong by radautoworks: 1:15pm On Oct 22, 2022
Nobody likes to think about it, but things can go wrong when you’re driving. Sometimes very wrong.

One reason we often tell people to bring their vehicles in for regular maintenance is that things are less likely to go wrong if you take care of your car. You’re far less likely to have a flat tire or to see your car engine suddenly go up in smoke if you’re bringing in your car into our shop. But sometimes things can go wrong even if your car is being routinely inspected and is running well.

Be Prepared: 9 Must-Haves in Your Car In Case There’s an Emergency: Your cell phone ; Car window breaking tools ; Roadside flares ; A flashlight ; Jumper cables ; A first-aid kit ; Water bottles and maybe some snacks ; Blankets ; A spare tire. Of course, you could probably fill up your car with numerous things in case of an emergency. Plan ahead and think about the scenarios that seem plausible and prepare for them. Many car emergencies, like a tire blowout or brakes failing on a busy freeway, are completely preventable. Visit or call. ⭐️

1 Like

Re: When Things Go Wrong by radautoworks: 9:35pm On Oct 24, 2022
Re: When Things Go Wrong by radautoworks: 9:41pm On Oct 24, 2022

(1) (Reply)

For Sale: Very Neat 2006 Toyota Corolla Sport For N1.95m. / Volkswagen golf4. 2002 model for sale SOLD SOLD SOLD / MC Oluomo Cars, House, Networth & Updates In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.