Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,715 members, 7,809,706 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:39 PM

Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria (4322 Views)

PDP In Secret Talks With Ex-govs, Defectors To APC : Nation / Why Am Not Visible At Buhari Campaigns - Atiku Talks To BBC / FG, Boko-Haram Hold Secret Talks In Senegal.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by reindeer: 10:14am On Feb 19, 2011
Just saw a disturbing piece of news about a well known Thief being brought back into the country for a ''soft landing'' trial by our own dear Good(?)luck Jonathan. If this is true it destroys any shred of credibility left for him.

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/jonathan-secret-talks-bring-ibori-back-nigeria
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by orbaxy(m): 12:09pm On Feb 21, 2011
Its sad the Govt isn't fighting corruption but defending it. What do you expect? they're of the same fraternity (PDP). What of that criminal dude from customs (Bode George)? can you you imagine that PDP is planning a multimillion naira grande reception for the mu**fu**ker once he is released from prison next week.
PDP is a great evil to our society. Period.
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by Dreamchaser1(f): 1:03pm On Feb 21, 2011
Na lie o! All this fake news peddlers that are doing everything posible to discredit GEJ. This is a totally false news, ppl should report the truth, this r critical times.
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by sadyeek(m): 1:12pm On Feb 21, 2011
I have always belived GEJ is not the man for nigeria, sorry to say but he's too DUMB to handle this great country of ours, We need somw who cn mk his own decision and not wait for people to tell him what to do. Nuhu ribadu, is a man of high interlect aaand of a fresh generation- post independence. This old men have tried and failed us, we need a revolution in nigeria like the one happening in egypt, tunisia, libya, GOD Help us,
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by ekubear1: 1:28pm On Feb 21, 2011
Wow.
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by Ultrame(m): 1:32pm On Feb 21, 2011
reindeer:

Just saw a disturbing piece of news about a well known Thief being brought back into the country for a ''soft landing'' trial by our own dear Good(?)luck Jonathan. If this is true it destroys any shred of credibility left for him.

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/jonathan-secret-talks-bring-ibori-back-nigeria

Please go get a more credible source for your post and then come back OK?

I don't like Goodluck Jonathan at all but i hate the rumormill called saharareporters even more. angry angry angry
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by Nobody: 2:01pm On Feb 21, 2011
Really cant comment fully now because Mr. President is a funny fellow, lets sit and watch
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by babaowo: 2:02pm On Feb 21, 2011
poster why nah
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by Tokotaya: 2:30pm On Feb 21, 2011
This is still highly speculative. Can't put anything beyond GEJ, tho.
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by joesbuba: 3:29pm On Feb 21, 2011
i don't believe this it all lies
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by LaconicINC: 3:30pm On Feb 21, 2011
As much as i know that saharareporters have elements of rumour mongering in their style of journalism.I also know the fact that in every rumour there is an element of truth.I have my doubts regarding this gej guy,he may have good intentions,but the calibre of people he is surrounded with are not just it at all,am seriously considering giving my vote to Nuhu Ribadu!
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by cafedeluv(m): 3:41pm On Feb 21, 2011
I think its true cos I remember there was a time it was reported that the British govt wants to tranfer nig prisoners to naija and build modern prison for them but nig govt frustated their effort because of Ibori.
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by HERACH007: 3:49pm On Feb 21, 2011
ibori belongs to the prisons let him just remain there while we think of other ways to join his pals with him
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by dayokanu(m): 3:52pm On Feb 21, 2011
fresh air 2011
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by Nobody: 4:07pm On Feb 21, 2011
cafedeluv:

I think its true cos I remember there was a time it was reported that the British govt wants to tranfer nig prisoners to naija and build modern prison for them but nig govt frustated their effort because of Ibori.
Review what you just said, how does it correlate?
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by 1025: 4:17pm On Feb 21, 2011
jonathan is not different from ibori.
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by mrperfect(m): 4:46pm On Feb 21, 2011
How authentic is this news?
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 5:26pm On Feb 21, 2011
you guys are just kiling urselves arguing, what do you expect, aint them all politicians? and politics i n Nigeria is a joke
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by Phony200(m): 5:47pm On Feb 21, 2011
Ultrame:

Please go get a more credible source for your post and then come back OK?

I don't like Goodluck Jonathan at all but i hate the rumormill called saharareporters even more. angry angry angry

grin grin grin Don't trust GEJ, I trust saharareporters even less.
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by Nobody: 6:19pm On Feb 21, 2011
erico2k2:

you guys are just kiling urselves arguing, what do you expect, aint them all politicians? and politics i n Nigeria is a joke
No job for country, and nairaland is an online newspaper stand where people even read the news upside down. What do you expect? grin
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by reindeer: 6:29pm On Feb 21, 2011
I just hope it isnt true! angry
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by vokeefe50: 6:40pm On Feb 21, 2011
This Jonathan is capable of doing any thing, but i hope this isn't true
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by Muza(m): 7:18pm On Feb 21, 2011
vokeefe50:

This Jonathan is capable of doing any thing, but i hope this isn't true

Anything i tell u, and even more surprising is that what ever he does,no matter how ridiculous,those sheepish,greedy,blind proponents will defend him *smh* sad
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by ladi02(m): 7:32pm On Feb 21, 2011
A PDP govt can definitely do this!
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by adagz01(m): 8:53pm On Feb 21, 2011
And if its true you all will just go and hug transformer.
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by judenum: 10:15pm On Feb 21, 2011
We all know their antics, GEJ, thinks all his blarbs and lousy action will boost his re-election. Meanwhile, his busy sprawling his mouth in different states wasting public funds on in the vain of campaign and proposing project. while he doesn't flashback of his failure as President after the takeover of Musa Y'adua. They are all bunch of same Gorrilas as we know. tongue
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by judenum: 10:16pm On Feb 21, 2011
We all know their antics, GEJ, thinks all his blarbs and lousy action will boost his re-election. Meanwhile, his busy sprawling his mouth in different states wasting public funds on in the vain of campaign and proposing project. while he doesn't flashback of his  failure as President after the takeover of Musa Y'adua. They are all bunch of same Gorrilas as we know.  tongue
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by orbaxy(m): 6:38am On Feb 22, 2011
All ye doubting Thomas, follow the link.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110205/ap_on_re_af/af_wikileaks_nigeria&vm=r

GEJ is a maggot in our national plate of rice. If we don't look well, we'll definitely eat his crap.

cry
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by Nobody: 8:01am On Feb 22, 2011
Sidon look na dog name
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by nearest(m): 10:28am On Feb 22, 2011
I'm waiting for it to happen, we need something so spark up that thing we all expect to happen soon.
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by Bawss1(m): 11:23am On Feb 22, 2011
^^^^
And what flames are you planning to fan now. cheesy
Re: Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria by proudly9ja(m): 11:32am On Feb 22, 2011
LAGOS, Nigeria – The Nigerian government's top law enforcement official sought to stymie an investigation into a powerful politician with ties to late President Umaru Yar'Adua, according to diplomatic cables released Saturday by the WikiLeaks website.

Former Attorney General Michael Aondoakaa demanded evidence against former Delta state Gov. James Ibori be returned from the U.K. to Nigeria as it had come by "inappropriate channels," a cable claims. Ibori has faced charges over stealing $292 million in state funds while in office. U.K. investigators claim Ibori, who now faces extradition from Dubai to the U.K., put much of the money in English banks.

The cables also show that as Britain investigated Ibori, it tried to negotiate with Nigerian officials to send more than 1,000 Nigerians now held in U.K. prisons back to their home country.

Ibori served as governor in a state in Nigeria's oil-rich Niger Delta, where foreign firms pump out the millions of barrels of oil that fuel Nigeria's government coffers. Much of that money sloshes into politician's pockets in a nation routinely described by analysts as being one of the world's most corrupt countries.

Nigerian anti-graft investigators arrested Ibori in 2007, but the cases against him foundered as his political power grew. Ibori contributed his wealth toward the 2007 election of late President Umaru Yar'Adua and later served as a trusted confidant to the ill leader.

In a November 2008 cable, U.S. diplomats in London recounted a conversation with British diplomat James Tansley that touched on Ibori's case. Tansley said Farida Waziri, then the new head of Nigeria's Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, appeared to be constrained from taking action by Aondoakaa.

"Tansley said the attorney general has put Waziri on a very short leash and that he has 'no doubt' that Aondoakaa is protecting the governors and other key officials from prosecution," the cable reads. "He also noted that Aondoakaa is very close to Ibori, who is generally acknowledged as one of President Yar'Adua's closest advisers. Tansley assessed that Waziri would prosecute small cases, but will not pursue any cases that are not in the government's interest."

Aondoakaa has been mentioned in several cables published by WikiLeaks, including one claiming he once demanded "$2 million immediately and another $18 million the next day" to sign a contract. He previously has called the WikiLeaks claims "rubbish." He could not be immediately reached for comment Saturday.

A cable from October 2008 also notes another British diplomat questioning Waziri's own preparedness. Since taking over the commission, Waziri has been slow to prosecute many of the high-ranking politicians once under heavy investigation — even after Yar'Adua's May 2010 death.

The diplomat "noted that it is bizarre how frequently Waziri asks for additional information on major cases, details that she should already be familiar with if she is 'really digging into her portfolio,'" the cable reads.

British diplomats told U.S. officials it viewed cases like Ibori's as important as it could serve as an "important anti-corruption message to Nigerian government officials," the cables claim. However, Britain's own interests also tempered the pressure they used on their former colony.

[b]A July 2008 cable recounting a visit by Yar'Adua to London includes details of then-Prime Minister Gordon Brown asking him for help in sending more than 1,000 Nigerian prisoners now held in the U.K. back to Nigeria. Nigerian law now requires prisoners give their consent for such a transfer.

"In his meeting with Prime Minister Brown, Yar'Adua agreed that 'arrangements on prison transfers needed to be made,'" the cable reads. However, by October 2008, British officials acknowledged their plans had hit a dead end as Aondoakaa stalled the proposal amid the Ibori prosecution.

[/b]By JON GAMBRELL, Associated Press Jon Gambrell, Associated Press – Sat Feb 5,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Okupe Sues Benue Over Alleged Contract Scam / Finally A Legacy For Jonathan / Akinwunmi Ambode Is Frm Ondo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.