Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,913 members, 7,814,082 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:03 AM

Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun (6834 Views)

University Of Abuja Student Burns Down Her Hostel While Holding A Knife / Drone Shot Of Adeleke University At Night And In The Day Time (photos) / Experiencing University Of Ibadan At Night (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by Missyajoke(f): 8:30am On Aug 27, 2020
She wore a simple black dress with frayed hems and clutched a black handbag as she marched along the crowded streets of Lower Manhattan, talking to no one. The sight inspired some to refer to her unkindly as the Witch of Wall Street.
She kept an office at Chemical Bank, where she pored over her investment strategy. When she died at age 81, in 1916, the New York Times called Hetty Green the “wealthiest woman in the United States.” At the time, she had in liquid assets alone an estimated $100 million. Or in today’s dollars, $2.3 billion. (Today the richest woman in the U.S. is Alice Walton, a daughter of the Wal-Mart founder, with a net worth of $38.2 billion, according to Forbes magazine).

Henrietta “Hetty” Howland Robinson was born November 21, 1834, in New Bedford, Massachusetts, the only daughter of a prosperous Quaker whaling family—an odd combination that presaged both her astonishing wealth and peculiar parsimony. (A younger brother died in infancy.) Because of her mother’s delicate health, young Hetty was often left in the care of her father and grandfather, who bred in her a healthy respect for money. At an early age, she learned to read stock market reports.

Though Hetty showed an aptitude for finance in her teens, it wasn’t until her early 30s that she received the funds that would allow her to become essentially a professional investor. Her father died in 1865, leaving her the family fortune of $5 million. When her Aunt Sylvia died shortly thereafter, bequeathing $2 million to charity, an incensed Hetty challenged the will in court, raising eyebrows by producing an alternate will that was later ruled a forgery. She had a knack for real estate deals, snapping up foreclosed properties, buying and selling railroads. She issued high-interest loans to desperate banks and cities in crisis. “I buy when things are low and nobody wants them,” she told the New York Times in 1905. “I keep them until they go up and people are anxious to buy.” In one particularly astute move, she sensed in 1907 that the market was overvalued, and called in all her loans. When the market crashed, she swooped in and bought low, the very model of a modern vulture capitalist.

Source: https://fabpulse.com/meet-the-wealthiest-woman-in-america-who-was-so-stingy-that-she-slept-at-night-holding-a-gun/

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by Nobody: 9:12am On Aug 27, 2020
Hey wahala. grin

You dont have money, problem. You have money, problem. That is why it's not good to loud it when you're rich to avoid unnecessary attention. Just keep it low key. cool.

Her height looks intimidating though. Strong woman.

Wow... Just read details now. She was a very smart investor. Wish I was half as smart, I wouldn't have lost all my shares like I did when the stock market crashed in 2008. Yes I was a small girl then but she started reading the stock market report at an early age too. She had a guide though. My own dad was only interested in buying and selling. so no time to guide me grin.

Anyways, I dolf my hat for her.

14 Likes

Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by Galactico4ever(m): 9:42am On Aug 27, 2020
Brachaa:
Hey wahala. grin

You dont have money, problem. You have money, problem. That is why it's not good to loud it when you're rich to avoid unnecessary attention. Just keep it low key. cool.

Wow... Just read details now. She was a very smart investor. Wish I was half as smart, I wouldn't have lost all my shares like I did when the stock market crashed in 2008. Yes I was a small girl then but she started reading the stock market report at an early age too. She had a guide though. My own dad was only interested in buying and selling. so no time to guide me grin.

Too bad.
Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by Nobody: 9:49am On Aug 27, 2020
Galactico4ever:
Too bad.

Not that bad. Its all part of experience. I was just too young then. But it pained me o. Cos I was preparing to enter the University then so I'll have enough to flex as a student. You know unilag levels now.

God knows best.

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by milky3(f): 10:12am On Aug 27, 2020
“I buy when things are low and nobody wants them,” she told the New York Times in 1905. “I keep them until they go up and people are anxious to buy.” In one particularly astute move, she sensed in 1907 that the market was overvalued, and called in all her loans. When the market crashed, she swooped in and bought low, the very model of a modern vulture capitalist.

that's d real sense of a good and smart business woman, no wonder she was d richest woman of her time

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by Samfloxin(m): 10:34am On Aug 27, 2020
This strategy go work for Nigeria?
Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by Bruno3000(m): 11:02am On Aug 27, 2020
Righteousness ooo... Food have done grin

1 Like

Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by Galactico4ever(m): 11:09am On Aug 27, 2020
Brachaa:

Not that bad. Its all part of experience. I was just too young then. But it pained me o. Cos I was preparing to enter the University then so I'll have enough to flex as a student. You know unilag levels now.

God knows best.
I know say by now you dey siddon for office dey count your millions abi wink

1 Like

Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by Nobody: 11:13am On Aug 27, 2020
Galactico4ever:
I know say by now you dey siddon for office dey count your millions abi wink

Amen. grin

1 Like

Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by Tedpgrass: 11:14am On Aug 27, 2020
Samfloxin:
This strategy go work for Nigeria?

Still does...
Likes of Ibukun Awosika, Demuren, Sadiku and Co..

Despite deeply entrenched patriarchy, misogyny and envy.

She will simply need muscle men to encourage miscreants to pay up in worst case scenarios.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by sacajawea: 11:29am On Aug 27, 2020
Brachaa:

God knows best.
Who ask you for all this Story

1 Like

Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by ElRapido: 11:58am On Aug 27, 2020
Brachaa:
Hey wahala. grin

Are you still a stock market investor? I'm interested in learning.

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by Nobody: 12:13pm On Aug 27, 2020
ElRapido:

Are you still a stock market investor? I'm interested in learning.

I dropped it a long time ago. Ive lost hope/interest in the market.

Don't even like to remember it.

Maybe someone else might be willing.
Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by paulolee(m): 1:07pm On Aug 27, 2020
nice
Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by DarrrkMatter: 1:19pm On Aug 27, 2020
Missyajoke:
(Today the richest woman in the U.S. is Alice Walton, a daughter of the Wal-Mart founder, with a net worth of $38.2 billion, according to Forbes magazine).

not sure about this tho
Mackenzie Scott (Jeff Bezos' ex-wife) is worth $60.2 Billion

but I know the Walton family is the richest family
Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by shawnfamous(m): 1:23pm On Aug 27, 2020
I know this woman, the woman in home alone that rear birds. she saved Kelvin
Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by Nelly4you: 2:41pm On Aug 27, 2020
making money has risk sha
Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by bigjackass: 4:06pm On Aug 27, 2020
shawnfamous:
I know this woman, the woman in home alone that rear birds. she saved Kelvin

1 Like

Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by nakaman: 4:30pm On Aug 27, 2020
so, what should I do with this News
Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 27, 2020
Missyajoke:
She wore a simple black dress with frayed hems and clutched a black handbag as she marched along the crowded streets of Lower Manhattan, talking to no one. The sight inspired some to refer to her unkindly as the Witch of Wall Street.
She kept an office at Chemical Bank, where she pored over her investment strategy. When she died at age 81, in 1916, the New York Times called Hetty Green the “wealthiest woman in the United States.” At the time, she had in liquid assets alone an estimated $100 million. Or in today’s dollars, $2.3 billion. (Today the richest woman in the U.S. is Alice Walton, a daughter of the Wal-Mart founder, with a net worth of $38.2 billion, according to Forbes magazine).

Henrietta “Hetty” Howland Robinson was born November 21, 1834, in New Bedford, Massachusetts, the only daughter of a prosperous Quaker whaling family—an odd combination that presaged both her astonishing wealth and peculiar parsimony. (A younger brother died in infancy.) Because of her mother’s delicate health, young Hetty was often left in the care of her father and grandfather, who bred in her a healthy respect for money. At an early age, she learned to read stock market reports.

Though Hetty showed an aptitude for finance in her teens, it wasn’t until her early 30s that she received the funds that would allow her to become essentially a professional investor. Her father died in 1865, leaving her the family fortune of $5 million. When her Aunt Sylvia died shortly thereafter, bequeathing $2 million to charity, an incensed Hetty challenged the will in court, raising eyebrows by producing an alternate will that was later ruled a forgery. She had a knack for real estate deals, snapping up foreclosed properties, buying and selling railroads. She issued high-interest loans to desperate banks and cities in crisis. “I buy when things are low and nobody wants them,” she told the New York Times in 1905. “I keep them until they go up and people are anxious to buy.” In one particularly astute move, she sensed in 1907 that the market was overvalued, and called in all her loans. When the market crashed, she swooped in and bought low, the very model of a modern vulture capitalist.

Source: https://fabpulse.com/meet-the-wealthiest-woman-in-america-who-was-so-stingy-that-she-slept-at-night-holding-a-gun/

This lady The "Witch of Wall Street", they used to call her.

I heard, or should I say, read somewhere on Listverse that she was also unbelievably frugal and stingy.

Her stinginess also earned her a place on the Guinness Book of World Records as the "Greatest miser" of all time.

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by Missyajoke(f): 4:45pm On Aug 27, 2020
sacajawea:

Who ask you for all this Story na?

Are you okay
Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by Nobody: 4:49pm On Aug 27, 2020
DarrrkMatter:

not sure about this tho

The OP did not clarify properly, hence "za" confusion.

This woman is long dead but In Her Days (between the 19th and early 20th centuries), she was the richest woman in the US.

The Waltons and Bezos made their billions between the 20th and 21st c.
Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by LofP(m): 6:06pm On Aug 27, 2020
Should be "venture capitalist," and NOT "vulture capitalist."
Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by Haywhymido(m): 10:12pm On Aug 27, 2020
hope you took it all along to where you are now cos I can't find your children as the richest today
Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by olu77(m): 12:56am On Aug 28, 2020
DarrrkMatter:

not sure about this tho

Mackenzie is the 4th richest woman in the world. She actually got about $38 billion dollar from the divorce settlement, she gave away $1.7billion to historically black colleges and others lowing her to about $36billion.

Alice Walton is worth $54.4 billion making her the world richest woman in 2020. Walton family is worth about $200billion
Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by Nobody: 1:50am On Aug 28, 2020
She formerly lives on our street.
Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by Pubnaija: 2:04am On Aug 28, 2020
Patoranking just drop his third studio album click the link below to stream download
https://pubnaija.com/album-download-patoranking-three-album/

Tiwa Savage just drop her Celia Album click the link below to stream and download
https://pubnaija.com/album-download-tiwa-savage-celia-album/
Re: Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun by Kingluqman(m): 7:11am On Aug 28, 2020
For Naija, na the woman and the gun dem go kidnap, con steal the money join.

Laiye Awon Oyenusi grin

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan: 60% Of Varsity Dons Without Ph.D / Schools Currently Selling Hnd Form. / Abu Zaria Post Utme Date Isout

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.