Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,244 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:33 AM

Seeking Nigeria Divorce Info Please - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Seeking Nigeria Divorce Info Please (2819 Views)

"My Husband Uses ‘Aboniki’ Balm As Lubricant" – Woman Files For Divorce / My 63-year-old Wife Starves Me Of Sex, Divorce-seeking Septuagenarian Tells Cour / Man Seeks Divorce Because Wife Ran Mad After Extra-marital Affair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seeking Nigeria Divorce Info Please by Niajawife: 1:30pm On Feb 19, 2011
Hello,

I'm new here and I wonder if your members might be so kind as to give me feedback on my situation.

I am an American woman, married to a Nigerian man. I'm faced with a legal dilemma. We reside in the US and here I have filed for a divorce. We have one child. During the course of our thirteen year marriage my husband has acquired property and established business ventures in Nigeria, using funds from our marital estate. I would like to know if there are any remedies in Nigeria to protect my, or our son's, rights to a fair share of those assets. Does anyone have any advice as to my options?

Thank you
Re: Seeking Nigeria Divorce Info Please by againstGEJ(m): 1:39pm On Feb 19, 2011
hmmmm. That may be a long throw baby. The stress may not worth the effort.
Re: Seeking Nigeria Divorce Info Please by Nobody: 2:06pm On Feb 19, 2011
seek advise from femal Nigeria lawyers and see if it worth the effort.
Re: Seeking Nigeria Divorce Info Please by TewMuch: 2:32pm On Feb 19, 2011
Sorry, you made a big mistake. If your eyes were on his property for you and your child you should have stayed in the marriage. There is something called Jurisdiction, and I have never heard them do those splitting of assets in Nigeria. The man just packs your luggage in a suitcase and leaves it in front of your parents house. You would be lucky if he is responsible enough to take care of yout children. You also were not married in Nigeria, so your union was not legalized in the country. Just move on with your life, Nigeria is a man's world and there is no way you can have accurate records of what he owns. The guy is smart sha.lol.
Re: Seeking Nigeria Divorce Info Please by mutter(f): 12:02am On Feb 20, 2011
Legally you will have little or no chance. The property is not in your name.
I think your best bet will be to try and seek an amicable solution, That way he will hopefully help to maintain his child.
Bitterness,anger and hate will do both of you and the kid no good. Far more important than the inheritance is a child having contact to his father.
Work on maintaining a good father and child relationship and the rest will come on it`s own.
A man that loves his child wil always take care of that child with or without an order of court.
Sorry, you had to find out the hard way.
Re: Seeking Nigeria Divorce Info Please by zayhal(f): 8:56am On Feb 20, 2011
Sad, pathetic but very true. sad
mutter:

Legally you will have little or no chance. The property is not in your name.
I think your best bet will be to try and seek an amicable solution, That way he will hopefully help to maintain his child.
Bitterness,anger and hate will do both of you and the kid no good. Far more important than the inheritance is a child having contact to his father.
Work on maintaining a good father and child relationship and the rest will come on it`s own.
A man that loves his child wil always take care of that child with or without an order of court.
Sorry, you had to find out the hard way.
Re: Seeking Nigeria Divorce Info Please by Nobody: 3:27pm On Feb 20, 2011
Re: Seeking Nigeria Divorce Info Please by harakiri(m): 8:33pm On Feb 20, 2011
So na the assets u dey after abi? U don enter long tings!

See dem. U wan use that una one sided-feminist friendly-man killing-US judicial divorce process to finish dis hardworking man. U don jones.

Yeye dey smell!

Kudos to my guy jor! ! !
Re: Seeking Nigeria Divorce Info Please by rasputinn(m): 10:57am On Feb 22, 2011
I can't believe the effrontery or is it ignorance or delusion.If you were married to the guy for 13 years,it means you may have known himfor even a longer period,so if in all those years you didn't know that Nigeria does not operate your kind of one-sided pro-wife judicial system as far as marriage/divorce laws go.

As ^^^ asked,so na the property you really dey after ehh,let me enlighten you a bit,the way it's done in Nigeria is that if you are truly after the welfare of your son,then hand the kid over to him,oh no,who am I kidding,obviously he was born in the US and hence s US citizen and we all know it'll be easier for ten camels to pass through the eye of a needle than for your husband(ex?) to have custody of the child.

Let me ask you,what happened to his assets there in the US,what of his money,I have a feeling you have taken him to the cleaners per those ones,so dat one no do you,you still wan go Nigeria,enter the man village go uproot the cribs wey the paddy man don arrange for him villa,kai you harsh sha.I advice you make you no go do strong head enter 9ja,come dey go the man villa ooo,if them kidnap you,even Obama no fit predict wetin fit happen to you.

In a nutshell,I'm never in the habit of giving any form of advice to any man or woman who seeks to divorce their spouse,if you loved him enough to put up with him;shortcomings and all for 13 years,then for the sake of his/your son find a way of being on friendly terms with him even if y'all choose to seperate rather than embarking on property grab
Re: Seeking Nigeria Divorce Info Please by harakiri(m): 12:28pm On Feb 22, 2011
rasputinn:

I can't believe the effrontery or is it ignorance or delusion.If you were married to the guy for 13 years,it means you may have known himfor even a longer period,so if in all those years you didn't know that Nigeria does not operate your kind of one-sided pro-wife judicial system as far as marriage/divorce laws go.

As ^^^ asked,so na the property you really dey after ehh,let me enlighten you a bit,the way it's done in Nigeria is that if you are truly after the welfare of your son,then hand the kid over to him,oh no,who am I kidding,obviously he was born in the US and hence s US citizen and we all know it'll be easier for ten camels to pass through the eye of a needle than for your husband(ex?) to have custody of the child.

Let me ask you,what happened to his assets there in the US,what of his money,I have a feeling you have taken him to the cleaners per those ones,so dat one no do you,you still wan go Nigeria,enter the man village go uproot the cribs wey the paddy man don arrange for him villa,kai you harsh sha.I advice you make you no go do strong head enter 9ja,come dey go the man villa ooo,if them kidnap you,even Obama no fit predict wetin fit happen to you.

In a nutshell,I'm never in the habit of giving any form of advice to any man or woman who seeks to divorce their spouse,if you loved him enough to put up with him;shortcomings and all for 13 years,then for the sake of his/your son find a way of being on friendly terms with him even if y'all choose to seperate rather than embarking on property grab

Can you imagine the nonsense! I didn't even think of the assets in the U.S. The man has probably been kicked out of HIS OWN HOUSE and is back to square one (squatting with friends) and still. . .that is not enough for her. She wants to totally annihilate him from the face of the earth with poverty. Women are be so hard hearted,cruel and vindictive. So much for "love", "trust", "security" and living "happily ever after". Makes you wonder why people rush into marriage or even marry at all (especially those ones abroad).
Re: Seeking Nigeria Divorce Info Please by Claus(m): 4:31pm On Feb 22, 2011
Poster, in theory, your divorce case should be handled in the U.S. where you reside. You'd only have a case in Nigeria if you were resident in Nigeria. Also, it'll be difficult to prove the value of the assets he owns in Nigeria and (although I'm not a lawyer) in any case I don't think any judgement on his assets in Nigeria can be enforced.

As an aside, guys, please don't be so harsh now. I'm actually against the extremes that the American and British courts have gone in awarding assets to wives in divorce cases.

However, the Nigerian scenario is the opposite extreme and needs to be balanced. The example from my family is that a husband, after about 20 years, packed the wife's stuff and dropped it in front of her parents house. She met him while he was a student, and when he became rich, he encouraged her to give up her career to be a housewife. He was the one that actually handed in her resignation letter. Now she has no source of income, apart from money from her kids. A new "wife" (who was the husband's mistress while he was married to the first) is now enjoying all the privileges. In this scenario, I am for the Nigerian legal system awarding something fair to the first wife.
Re: Seeking Nigeria Divorce Info Please by rasputinn(m): 11:12pm On Feb 22, 2011
^^^
Thumbs up
Any system that treats either of the couple unfairly is draconian,in my book
Re: Seeking Nigeria Divorce Info Please by armyofone(m): 1:23am On Feb 23, 2011
work hard and get a good lawyer lady. don't just sit down there. make sure you take him to the grindhouse cheesy

pls read Ivana Thrump's book grin grin grin.

why did you allowed it to happen in the first place? you should have shinned ya eyes, abi no be nigeria man you marry?
Re: Seeking Nigeria Divorce Info Please by rasputinn(m): 9:41am On Feb 23, 2011
armyofone:

work hard and get a good lawyer lady. don't just sit down there. make sure you take him to the grindhouse cheesy

pls read Ivana Thrump's book grin grin grin.

She's done that already in yankee,she wan go 9ja go act part 2.Abeg tell am aas she go take do am abeg,hissss,u neva halla
Re: Seeking Nigeria Divorce Info Please by jasman1: 2:47am On Feb 25, 2011
You said you filed for divorce after 13yrs, so you must have decided to move on, why then are you running around looking for this man. If your idea of filing for divorce is get rich, then you're not just wrong, you're dead wrong. You've shown your other side, the side that made you fill for divorce, the side that made this man ran away not caring that he left a child behind. You've probably cleaned him up here in US and that is not enough for you.I surgest you do something useful for yourself, get a life. You've shown so much greed, pains, and jealous in you, cut it.
Re: Seeking Nigeria Divorce Info Please by Angolobabe(f): 8:56am On Feb 25, 2011
Sorry about ur divorce ,it can be hard i know this cos i have been there,you cant get anything from Nigeria because the law dont protect women and marriage break ups or even child support from the father ,instead they will advice u give ur ex husband full costudy of ur child.

But if u discuss assets divison personally with ur ex and he agrees then i am sure u guys can work something out,my ex husband who was a foreigner got 50% of our nigeria assets cos i agreed on it and we didnt marry,live or file our divorce in Nigeria,this is cos i think he deserved it cos he worked for most of the money anyway why try to keep all to myself ,of course it was easy to do in Nigeria if i wanted.

You should first sort out ur child support before looking into assets in Nigeria ,as i think this is more important.
Re: Seeking Nigeria Divorce Info Please by JustGood(m): 1:54pm On Feb 25, 2011
You are thinking of cleaning the man out?

Na wa o
Re: Seeking Nigeria Divorce Info Please by marry303: 8:11am On Jun 02, 2013
My name is Mary and my ex-boyfriend dumped me 8 months ago after I caught him of having an affair with someone else and insulting him. I want him back in my life but he refuse to have any contact with me. I was so confuse and don't know what to do, so I visited the INTERNET for help and I saw a testimony on how a spell caster help them to get their ex back so I contact the spell caster and explain my problems to him..... he cast a spell for me and assure me of 3 days that my ex will return to me and to my greatest surprise the third day my peter came knocking on my door and beg for forgiveness. I am so happy that my love is back again and not only that, we are about to get married. Once again thank you RE UNITING EX SPELL TEMPLE caster, you are truly talented and gifted contact his email: Reunitingexspell@gmail.com All thanks to the source of my happiness{ DR. MAGBU}.
Re: Seeking Nigeria Divorce Info Please by Nobody: 8:16am On Jun 02, 2013
^^^^^^^Anu Ohia
Re: Seeking Nigeria Divorce Info Please by ifyalways(f): 8:28am On Jun 02, 2013
^ Jenny. Lol.
Dang, I miss Harakiri. cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Early Morning Pix With My Family / If You Were Switched At Birth, Would You Like To Return To Your Real Family? : / Family Section Poster Of The Year 2010; Nomination In Progress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.