Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,201 members, 7,835,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:44 PM

My Experience Interviewing For Software Engineering Role With Amazon & Microsoft - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / My Experience Interviewing For Software Engineering Role With Amazon & Microsoft (851 Views)

Enroll For Our Diploma In Software Engineering In Our Institute / Apply For Software Academy Training At Xplug Initiatives / Amazon, Microsoft Employees Indicted In Sex Trafficking Investigation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience Interviewing For Software Engineering Role With Amazon & Microsoft by takeitsimple: 10:57pm On Aug 27, 2020
My experience interviewing for Software engineering role with Amazon & Microsoft - 2019.

I have reached up to onsite stages interviewing with Amazon and Microsoft for software engineering roles.

Lesson learned.

0. Computer science fundamentals are very important to Silicon-Valley companies than been a pro in the X or Y framework

1. Practice makes perfection, perfection yield meaningful end goal(s).
Nearly all questions were copy and paste from LC [LeetCoce](with little modification).
Some problem focus on HashTable, Graph Algorithm, and others are subjected to real-life experience

2. I interviewed with the AWS team in Vancouver for SDE2 and AI Empowerment Team for MSFT.
Based on my own experience and the team I interviewed with,
Amazon interview process is far better and well organized than MSFT for the following reasons.

a.Hard screening process(You don't have the chance to for virtual interview with AWS team until you successfully pass the coding challenge with two scenarios (up to 90 min) unlike MSFT

b.AWS focus more on scalable algorithm/answers & core understanding of CS

c.Had my interview with two engineers for each stage with AWS, and one engineer for each stage with MSFT

d.AWS team focus more on coming up with an efficient and concise solution, while MSFT focuses on giving
extensive justification for anything that comes out from your mouth and not just coming up with the right solution.

e.AWS has great interviewing tools/resources than MSFT(Perhaps based on the team I interviewed with)
My interview with Amazon was conducted using Amazon Chime, and Team for Microsoft.

3. It's good to know that thing called HashTable, but not all problem requires HashTable

4. Know what you do, and do what you know. In my own opinion, CTCI(Cracking The Coding Interview) book is not
helpful and reliable to pass SWE II or SDE2 interview.

5. Hard work with real dedication works and experience matters.

If you really want to become a software engineer, you must have proper and adequate computer science fundamentals.

Hope you find this helpful.
Useful resources: https://www.algoexpert.io
https://leetcode.com/

1 Like

Re: My Experience Interviewing For Software Engineering Role With Amazon & Microsoft by unclemaths(m): 12:00am On Aug 28, 2020
Thanks for this, boss..

Hard work pays! Have a passion for what you do and motivate yourself.
Re: My Experience Interviewing For Software Engineering Role With Amazon & Microsoft by Savagethe21st(m): 10:47pm On Oct 28, 2020
takeitsimple:
My experience interviewing for Software engineering role with Amazon & Microsoft - 2019.

I have reached up to onsite stages interviewing with Amazon and Microsoft for software engineering roles.

Lesson learned.

0. Computer science fundamentals are very important to Silicon-Valley companies than been a pro in the X or Y framework

Nearly all questions were copy and paste from LC [LeetCoce](with little modification).
Some problem focus on HashTable, Graph Algorithm, and others are subjected to real-life experience

2. I interviewed with the AWS team in Vancouver for SDE2 and AI Empowerment Team for MSFT.
Amazon interview process is far better and well organized than MSFT for the following reasons.

a.Hard screening process(You don't have the chance to for virtual interview with AWS team until you successfully pass the coding challenge with two scenarios (up to 90 min) unlike MSFT

c.Had my interview with two engineers for each stage with AWS, and one engineer for each stage with MSFT

d.AWS team focus more on coming up with an efficient and concise solution, while MSFT focuses on giving
extensive justification for anything that comes out from your mouth and not just coming up with the right solution.

e.AWS has great interviewing tools/resources than MSFT(Perhaps based on the team I interviewed with)
My interview with Amazon was conducted using Amazon Chime, and Team for Microsoft.

3. It's good to know that thing called HashTable, but not all problem requires HashTable

4. Know what you do, and do what you know. In my own opinion, CTCI(Cracking The Coding Interview) book is not

If you really want to become a software engineer, you must have proper and adequate computer science fundamentals.

bro were you successful

1 Like

Re: My Experience Interviewing For Software Engineering Role With Amazon & Microsoft by Savagethe21st(m): 8:20pm On Oct 30, 2020
takeitsimple:

Lesson learned.

bro can i have a conversation with you

1 Like

Re: My Experience Interviewing For Software Engineering Role With Amazon & Microsoft by takeitsimple: 7:08am On Nov 02, 2020
Savagethe21st:
bro can i have a conversation with you

Yes, you can.
Re: My Experience Interviewing For Software Engineering Role With Amazon & Microsoft by Savagethe21st(m): 10:34am On Nov 02, 2020
takeitsimple:

Yes, you can.
how were the Fang interviews you wrote, and was any successful

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Vivo S7t Phone With Mediatek Dimensity 820 Soc Tipped To Launch Soon / Best Solution To Watch Movies In Blu-ray Disc / Are Your IP Security Cameras Truly Protecting You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.