Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,244 members, 7,815,348 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

Why Can’t Network Providers Use Customer Data Retrieval And Sundry Purposes?? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Can’t Network Providers Use Customer Data Retrieval And Sundry Purposes?? (259 Views)

NCC Releases Short Code For Ending Unsolicited Messages By Network Providers / FG Orders Cancellation Of ₦20 National Identification Number Retrieval Charge / Data Plans For Different Network Providers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Can’t Network Providers Use Customer Data Retrieval And Sundry Purposes?? by talk2aikay(m): 8:26pm On Aug 28, 2020
I wanted to update my old MTN SIM card to get the micro and nano configuration, so I went to Mtn office with my registered SIM card and identification.
But lo and behold they refused to honor my request and demanded I get a court affidavit.
I explained that this was my registered line and that it was not a ‘welcome back’ that I wanted to do, but they insisted.
I got really pissed and left their office and went straight to my bank to change all my notifications to another line coz I’m abandoning the line.

Now, I’m wondering what the purpose of sim registration and data capture is if a customer’s name, address, face and fingerprint cannot be used to verify their identity, in order to quickly facilitate sim retrieval?

Is sim registration solely for the purpose of helping law enforcement to identify criminals, and not for customer convenience?

I honestly think that it’s silly for network providers to demand court affidavits and other nonsense from registered customers seeking to retrieve or update their lines.

This really has to change.

1 Like

Re: Why Can’t Network Providers Use Customer Data Retrieval And Sundry Purposes?? by hisgrace090: 8:31pm On Aug 28, 2020
Remember you're in a country that practice opposit of everything.
Re: Why Can’t Network Providers Use Customer Data Retrieval And Sundry Purposes?? by edoairways: 9:13pm On Aug 28, 2020
Put the blame on the regulatory commission who insist on SIM certificate and valid identification. It is possible that you provided the wrong identification hence the need for court affidavit. However, swearing of affidavit is too weak, anybody can use that to get away with things. The whole essence of SIM registration had been defeated already
Re: Why Can’t Network Providers Use Customer Data Retrieval And Sundry Purposes?? by talk2aikay(m): 8:01am On Aug 29, 2020
edoairways:
Put the blame on the regulatory commission who insist on SIM certificate and valid identification. It is possible that you provided the wrong identification hence the need for court affidavit. However, swearing of affidavit is too weak, anybody can use that to get away with things. The whole essence of SIM registration had been defeated already

No bro, my information was very correct. They just insisted it was standard procedure.
I’m just wondering if they’re in business with the courts to give them customers.
Re: Why Can’t Network Providers Use Customer Data Retrieval And Sundry Purposes?? by KrazyDave16(m): 9:51am On Aug 29, 2020
That's how it is in Nigeria.

I spent weeks going back and forth from court to Glo office to reactivate an old line even after they checked my name on the database. The thing was damn frustrating.
Re: Why Can’t Network Providers Use Customer Data Retrieval And Sundry Purposes?? by edoairways: 1:36pm On Aug 29, 2020
talk2aikay:

No bro, my information was very correct. They just insisted it was standard procedure.
I’m just wondering if they’re in business with the courts to give them customers.
Maybe there is an agreement, you know anything is possible in Nigeria. The typist must have told MTN staff to direct people to her shop
Re: Why Can’t Network Providers Use Customer Data Retrieval And Sundry Purposes?? by Mohbola(f): 10:37am On Aug 31, 2020
Nigeria my country

(1) (Reply)

How To Activate Ios 14 Double Tap On Any Android Device / Google Meet, Noise Cancellation In Ios And Android / Verified Alipay Account..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.