Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,134 members, 7,849,552 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 12:27 AM

Wanting Your Ethnicity To Be In Power - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wanting Your Ethnicity To Be In Power (636 Views)

Guy Slams Mrs Aisha Buhari For Wanting To Scrap Child Marriage / Ex-Minister's Son Dies In Power Bike Accident / Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wanting Your Ethnicity To Be In Power by Ikengawo: 10:33am On Feb 20, 2011
why do nigerians want a member of their ethnicity to be in power?
anyone with the ability to comprehend life would realize having a member of your ethnicity in power is the fastest way to keep your ethnicity out of power.

what i mean is when there's a yoruba man as president, any development he does for the SW will be looked at as 'favoritism' and everyone but the SW with fight against it.
therefore he has to spend his entire tenure trying to prove he's a 'national' player and thus avoids putting other yorubas in positions of power, avoids aiding yoruba specific projects, and spends his whole time in office trying to appease other ethnic groups to show them that he's not a 'tribal' president.

Obasanjo is a prime example. any yoruba man with sense will tell you that the man almost went out of his way to purge any ideas of promoting the cause of yoruba people, and often stepped on their toes to appease all other regions of the country.
Hence his unpopularity there

then you have Yar'Adua who got endless bad mouthing in the press and by nigerians even after his death when he made a fulani man, Sanusi, the head of the CBN. Everyone completely ignored the fact that Soludo was in incompetent thief on the verge of ruining the country by mismanagement.

Even look at the first coup. why did it fail? because Ironsi started showing signs of favoring his people such as killing the Saraduna. the result was his death and the death of thousands of igbos that had nothing to do with it.

I hope im not the only one that sees this point. any smart region would make sure their people stay away from the presidency and gain control of the sectors that make presidents like the military, the media, and big business.
Re: Wanting Your Ethnicity To Be In Power by bamosagie(m): 10:53am On Feb 20, 2011
Sound analysis , ! but tell me can the south south ever hope to control the government or attract developmental project without having a son as the main man? if history is anything to go by the answer would look smthing like NOWAY,
Re: Wanting Your Ethnicity To Be In Power by Nobody: 11:01am On Feb 20, 2011
why are ibo crying ''marginalisation'' ?
Re: Wanting Your Ethnicity To Be In Power by Ikengawo: 11:05am On Feb 20, 2011
lets not get it twisted, it was Yar Adua who settled the issues in the south south (at least to the level they are today)

with GEJ being a south south man, he can never pass a bill giving the South south resource control because everyone will accuse him of bias and he'll sink in popularity, then the political machinery of all the other tribes will begin grinding against him because they're feel threaten and the president of nigeria has to spend an abusive amount of time and resources making sure the other ethnic groups don't feel threatened.

If Yar'adua were to have passed such a bill everyone would be ok with it, but if a south south president were to do it he would get attacked and lose trust.

I'm igbo, im not at all interested in a man being president simply because he's igbo.
As an igbo im interested in 2 things.

a president that will help upstart local businesses
a president that will fix electricity
a president that will promote more federalism
encourages a more merit based political system and society
encourages cheaper education based on merit
and a president that will build the second Niger river bridge, if not a 3rd and 4th

with more federalism, an encouraging environment for businesses and less congestion of out Onitsha bridge, the igbo people will excel

Now, if it takes an Igbo man to do that so be it, but im not going to vote for a man simply because he's named Okoro because i know it's a fast way to make sure none of this happens.

If i was yoruba i would like a president that

focuses on health care (larger families require it more)
improves access to schools for all (university seats are often taken by igbos because there's so few to go around)

and does other things specific to the yoruba people plight.

who cares what his last name is? It will just be an excuse for people to attack him if he helps the yorubas.

Obasanjo did nothing for yorubas, Yar adua nothing for fulanis
Re: Wanting Your Ethnicity To Be In Power by Ikengawo: 11:06am On Feb 20, 2011

why are ibo crying ''marginalisation'' ?

because they're the only ones in the union that know how to spell the word Igbo.
Re: Wanting Your Ethnicity To Be In Power by Nobody: 11:12am On Feb 20, 2011
Ikengawo:

lets not get it twisted, it was Yar Adua who settled the issues in the south south (at least to the level they are today)

with GEJ being a south south man, he can never pass a bill giving the South south resource control because everyone will accuse him of bias and he'll sink in popularity, then the political machinery of all the other tribes will begin grinding against him because they're feel threaten and the president of nigeria has to spend an abusive amount of time and resources making sure the other ethnic groups don't feel threatened.

If Yar'adua were to have passed such a bill everyone would be ok with it, but if a south south president were to do it he would get attacked and lose trust.

I'm igbo, im not at all interested in a man being president simply because he's igbo.
As an igbo im interested in 2 things.

a president that will help upstart local businesses
a president that will fix electricity
a president that will promote more federalism
encourages a more merit based political system and society
encourages cheaper education based on merit
and a president that will build the second Niger river bridge, if not a 3rd and 4th

with more federalism, an encouraging environment for businesses and less congestion of out Onitsha bridge, the igbo people will excel

Now, if it takes an Igbo man to do that so be it, but im not going to vote for a man simply because he's named Okoro because i know it's a fast way to make sure none of this happens.

If i was yoruba i would like a president that

focuses on health care (larger families require it more)
improves access to schools for all (university seats are often taken by igbos because there's so few to go around)

and does other things specific to the yoruba people plight.

who cares what his last name is? It will just be an excuse for people to attack him if he helps the yorubas.

Obasanjo did nothing for yorubas, Yar adua nothing for fulanis

good or bad,they have produced a president and that is all that matters.
Re: Wanting Your Ethnicity To Be In Power by Ikengawo: 11:19am On Feb 20, 2011
that's all that matters when you're under-educated.
i prefer a better life for my people and self over being able to brag that my ethnic group 'produced' a president.

nigerians need to realize life isn't about bragging, there are real things on the line, like your children's future and your parents having decent hospitals to go to, but the undereducated among us are so ready to ignore both things just to make sure their 'region' can 'produce' a president.

mind you their 'region' is more likely to be neglected by the president it 'produces' because of the political structure of Nigeria.

wtf did Babangida do for Gwari people, Abacha for Kanuri people, Yar Adua for fulani people, OBJ for yoruba people, Azikiwe for Igbo people

in SPECIFIC?

Awolowo for example did a lot of Yoruba people, but he wasn't the president of Nigeria. If he was and did the exact same things for yoruba people, he would be insulted by the other ethnic groups, distrusted and consequently overthrown.

even if an igbo president has 2 igbos in their cabinet there will be wahala. If he has 4 hausa he will be hailed.
Re: Wanting Your Ethnicity To Be In Power by Nobody: 11:22am On Feb 20, 2011
why are ibo crying marginalisation because they've not produce a president ?

Ikengawo:

that's all that matters when you're under-educated.
i prefer a better life for my people and self over being able to brag that my ethnic group 'produced' a president.

nigerians need to realize life isn't about bragging, there are real things on the line, like your children's future and your parents having decent hospitals to go to, but the undereducated among us are so ready to ignore both things just to make sure their 'region' can 'produce' a president.

mind you their 'region' is more likely to be neglected by the president it 'produces' because of the political structure of Nigeria.

wtf did Babangida do for Gwari people, Abacha for Kanuri people, Yar Adua for fulani people, OBJ for yoruba people, Azikiwe for Igbo people

in SPECIFIC?

Awolowo for example did a lot of Yoruba people, but he wasn't the president of Nigeria. If he was and did the exact same things for yoruba people, he would be insulted by the other ethnic groups, distrusted and consequently overthrown.

even if an igbo president has 2 igbos in their cabinet there will be wahala. If he has 4 hausa he will be hailed. 

is it because they are un-educated ?
Re: Wanting Your Ethnicity To Be In Power by Ikengawo: 11:28am On Feb 20, 2011
probably so.
but the majority of Nigeria is undereducated cause our people seem to discourage critical thinking and our education system is a joke.

I constantly tell my fellow igbos to relax about this presidency thing, it does nothing for us.

the model i like are the jews in america. They have no intention of becoming the president, but they make sure to assist candidates into power that will do things that suit their interests as a people.

if igbos can become the richest in Nigeria, that's all that matters to me as an igbo. If we have what we need to take care of ourselves and our families that's all that matters and if a kanuri or chinese man has to bring it so be it.

focus on controlling the throne, not sitting in it, and there's a clear difference.
Re: Wanting Your Ethnicity To Be In Power by Nobody: 11:42am On Feb 20, 2011
Ikengawo:

probably so.
but the majority of Nigeria is undereducated cause our people seem to discourage critical thinking and our education system is a joke.

I constantly tell my fellow igbos to relax about this presidency thing, it does nothing for us.

the model i like are the jews in america. They have no intention of becoming the president, but they make sure to assist candidates into power that will do things that suit their interests as a people.

if igbos can become the richest in Nigeria, that's all that matters to me as an igbo. If we have what we need to take care of ourselves and our families that's all that matters and if a kanuri or chinese man has to bring it so be it.

focus on controlling the throne, not sitting in it, and there's a clear difference.

I guess that is what dora is trying to do here.

FORMER Minister of Information and Communications and the senatorial candidate for Anambra Central on the platform of All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), Prof. Dora Akunyili, has kicked against the alleged plan to make the Southwest produce the next Senate President.

Speaking at Dunukofia Local Government Area yesterday, during Iyom Christy Okoye’s declaration for APGA, Mrs. Akunyili said the arrangement would spell doom for the people of the Southeast.

She said: "I want to believe the report by the media was incorrect. If it is correct, it means that the Igbos are no longer in the country’s equation. If we are not President, we are not Vice- President, we are not Senate President and we are not Speaker, where are we?"

She urged the Southeast to stand up against what she described as neglect of Ndigbo.

She said: "It has happened before. I believe this time around, it should not if we really believe in one Nigeria."

The former minister enjoined women to register in the voter registration exercise.

Senator Joy Emodi advised the people of the zone to register ahead of the 2011 April election.

Iyom Okoye said her decision to join APGA was informed by the passion she had for women and the state.

you see why ethnicity is important in politics.
Re: Wanting Your Ethnicity To Be In Power by KnowAll(m): 12:14pm On Feb 20, 2011
@ poster

some salient point thus, but not entirely, obviously one can see Jonathan's recalcitrance with regards to development in the Nigera Delta but what he fails to know is that it was his predecessor that created the Ministry Of Niger Delta in other to give the place the much touted accelerated development. Since it is a full ministry it has a dedicated Minster and probably a "Minister for" so why after all these rather fancy name creation of a new Ministry, why create it when it is clear  the monster created would just be another cesspit of bureaucracy, corruption a pitiful toothless bulldog.

Is this an open indictment against Jonathan's competence or like the poster said,  just Mr President's coping mechanism at avoiding  playing to the gallery so as not to be seen as someone champion the cause of his people.

For crying out loud Jonathan has noting to worry about because the ministry is a full fledge ministry that is budgeted for and has a statutorily right to exist.
Re: Wanting Your Ethnicity To Be In Power by Nobody: 12:43pm On Feb 20, 2011
It means that d political class uses the masses that are poor in mind and thought who aggitate for an ethnic president while he they clamour for dont even ve there time but he is already a member of the looting cabal who must ensure that d status quo remains, head or tail he is still a winner for he is still a cabal member while he rides on d sentiment of d poor who only want there son their even if its a knwn fact that he will nt solve their problems but they jst want him to be there. Thats was happening in Nigeria of today and even d so called educated ones champiom this ethnic trash to d extent u start wondering snc there is nothing dfrnt btwn them and d uneducated ones. Nigerians are nothing but ponds in d hands of politicians, the earlier we emancipate ourslvs frm dis ethnic mental slavery- d beter 4us all
Re: Wanting Your Ethnicity To Be In Power by bamosagie(m): 1:00pm On Feb 20, 2011
south south issue became an issue of national discourse as a result of the bloody agitation that disrupted oil flow, nigerdelta ministry is just a kite flown to appease the people. meaningful development would only come with nigerdelta having a real voice in day to day running of the state. it can only happen with him being a major player. same goes for other minority group. Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba are not the only people in Nigeria. while these group dont need to be in power to attract development, same cannot be said of others.
Re: Wanting Your Ethnicity To Be In Power by KnowAll(m): 1:13pm On Feb 20, 2011
south south issue became an issue of national discourse as a result of the bloody agitation that disrupted oil flow, nigerdelta ministry is just a kite flown to appease the people. meaningful development would only come with nigerdelta having a real voice in day to day running of the state. it can only happen with him being a major player. same goes for other minority group. Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba are not the only people in Nigeria. while these group dont need to be in power to attract development, same cannot be said of others.

Mr 2 post, u must know the south-south has all the aces, u have a full fledge ministry, u get 13% derivations, it is not the yoruba, Hausa and Igbo man that is the Governor of the south-south states, your Governors are all local people so no excuse.

Now you have the added advantage of having a President from the south-south, why don't the president get on with it, what else does he neeed to develop the south-south time waits for no one. The only thing we got from mr president recently after appointing an ijo ondo indigene as the niger delta reconstruction person is an invasion of a town in southern ondo state and the apprehension of an oba by some unruly youths. if that is the kind of development Mr Kuku is planning to bring to southern ondo state, well let him hear it loud and clear we are not interested.
Re: Wanting Your Ethnicity To Be In Power by Beaf: 2:32pm On Feb 20, 2011
^
Dude you have gone on an ethnic bashing rant while paying scant attention to the pearl of wisdom the topic is attempting to drive into us.
By the way, the South South is not an ethnic group.

Secondly, when palm oil, rubber, cocao, groundnuts etc were the economic drivers, derivation was not 13%, but a whopping 50%.
Its shocking to hear a youth talk like you have, don't you want your state to produce anything? Do you think Nigeria would die without oil? The present system is not for your benefit or mine, it was set up by parasites for parasites.

Ethnic bigotry is the real reason Nigeria is under developed, it clouds our minds to matters that should be straightforward. Increase federalism and derivation and Nigeria will progress, leave things the way they are (because of ethnic bigots) and Nigeria will continue regressing.

With the way even our young ones think, there is no hope for Nigeria; we better split the country.
Re: Wanting Your Ethnicity To Be In Power by komando7(m): 2:43pm On Feb 20, 2011
@ikengaji
Point of correction: Ironsi did not kill the Sardauna. Go get your facts right befopre you come here with what Americans call half- assed assertions.

(1) (Reply)

Akala Stops Buhari's Rally For Jonathan's Wife. / Incumbent Politicians That Lost The 2011 Primaries / Sss Arrests Internet Blogger For Blackmail Of Female Politician.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.