Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,727 members, 7,820,515 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:20 PM

RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained (2506 Views)

Smartphone RAM Explained. Everything That You Must Know. / Don't Buy Phone Because Of Ram, Refresh Rate Etc / 4GB Of Ram And 32GB Storage Brand New Smartphone That Costs 31k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by atheistandproud(m): 8:26pm On Aug 30, 2020
RAM is also known as Random Access Memory. This is a type of memory that sits very close to the CPU cores. It is the middleman or link between the files stored on the flash memory (ROM) and the CPU cores. It acts as a workbench for the CPU.

Remember when you were in primary (or elementary) school and you needed to solve math problems? Yeah, most of the time, you might have needed a piece of disposable paper to work with. You used that paper to count, subtract or divide and as soon as you got your answers, you simply squeezed the paper into a ball and tossed it away. Some of us didn’t use pieces of paper, we have used the back pages of our notebooks or even bought a special note just for counting but it is still the same thing. When carrying out work, you needed a temporary space to work with and as soon as you were done, you cleared your desk. That piece of paper you used to solve that math problem could be said to be your RAM.

The RAM serves this function for the CPU cores. RAM provides memory space for the CPU to work on e.g. playing a game or making a call. After you are done, the apps are simply cleared from that space to make room for the current CPU task. Critical files such as components of the Operating System, App data, game graphics, location of all the files on the device etc. are stored in the RAM. Whenever the CPU cores need data to work on, the RAM quickly presents the data or location of the data to the CPU cores for an easy and quick retrieval. The RAM also stores processes of apps that are running. If for example, you’re playing Pro Evolution Soccer and a message from WhatsApp comes in, you can pause the game and leave the app, the RAM will keep the app process saved. After you are done replying the message, you can simply go back and continue your game. This act of keeping two or more apps running simultaneously in the RAM memory is referred to as Multitasking.

If you are very observant, you’ll notice that parts of your RAM are always occupied even the phone is seemingly idle. If you use a 4GB RAM phone, you may only find 2GB or even less free for you to use. This is because the operating system (Android or iOS) is always constantly running in the background. Other processes such as your network modems which keep your phone connected to the internet is constantly running as well. Apps like Facebook, Whatsapp, SMS, Dialer etc. are also running in the background and these eat up a good part of the RAM space. If too many apps are open in the background and the RAM is full, the OS (Operating System i.e. Android or iOS) may kill some apps so as to keep the phone running smoothly.

TYPES OF RAM

All RAM in use today are basically divided into two forms: Static and Dynamic RAM.

A static RAM is a type of RAM on which the data on it is loaded, fixed and doesn’t need refreshing. It needs power all the time to retain its data because RAM is a volatile type of memory. This means that once its power supply is cut, it loses all the data saved to it.

Dynamic RAM on the other hand is dynamic (changes and needs to be refreshed) but it doesn’t need constant power to retain information. When power is restored after a power cut, it simply reloads the necessary data from the flash storage (ROM) as the device is turning on (booting).

The types of RAM available today are
i. Static RAM (SRAM)
ii. Dynamic RAM (DRAM)
iii. Synchronous Dynamic RAM (SDRAM)
iv. Single Data Rate Synchronous Dynamic RAM (SDR SDRAM)
v. Double Data Rate Synchronous Dynamic RAM (DDR SDRAM)
vi. Graphics Double Data Rate Synchronous Dynamic RAM (GDDR SDRAM)

DRAM responds immediately to a single instruction. SDRAM waits for a clock cycle to begin before responding to an instruction. SDR SDRAM shows that the RAM only responds to a single information per clock cycle. SDRAM and SDR SDRAM are one and the same. DDR SDRAM responds to two or more instructions per clock cycle at once greatly improving multitasking and CPU speed. GDDR SDRAM is used for graphic cards in gaming PCs.
All smartphones today use a low powered DDR SDRAM along with their processor cores. They are called LPDDR SDRAMs. There are LPDDR, LPDDR2, LPDDR3, LPDDR4, LPDDR4x and LPDDR5. Most phones should use at least an LPDDR3 if it is old. The newer ones use LPDDR4 and LPDDR4x. The high end Flagships use LPDDR5.

RAM SPEED AND SIZE

The space of the memory is very important and manufacturers use it as a selling point for most of their phones these days. In the early days of smartphones, we had RAM sizes as small as 256MB and 512MB. My old Innjoo F3 tablet had 512MB of RAM. These days however, the lowest you’ll find is 1GB. Moving on there is 2GB, 3GB, 4GB, 6GB, 8GB and flagships with as much as 12GB. These days it is advisable to not go below 2GB of RAM if you are buying a phone.
Whilst most people talk about RAM sizes, they neglect to talk about RAM speeds. RAM speeds are also very important. A slow RAM could lag and ultimately slow down the performance of your device. The speeds of RAMs are measured in megahertz (MHz). A good RAM should run at 1600MHz and above. Then there’s also the read and write speeds of the different types of RAM. LPDDR5 is definitely the fastest around currently.

The article was a bit long so if you're interested in completing it, there's a part about SD cards and internal memory you might be interested in.

Head over to

https://inquisitiveuniverse.com/2020/08/30/storage-in-smartphones-ram-rom/

This article is one of many explaining about the parts of an SoC, there's a treasure trove of information waiting to be read. If you are a smartphone novice, I'd recommend heading over there and reading at least one article a week.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by DOMINO001: 8:39pm On Aug 30, 2020
Where is my big RAM gang?
Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by taiwosamwell(m): 8:46pm On Aug 30, 2020
Nice article.
Pls which RAM does Transsion use oo?
Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by atheistandproud(m): 8:46pm On Aug 30, 2020
DOMINO001:
Where is my big RAM gang?

6GB RAM here, RN9 Pro

2 Likes

Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by atheistandproud(m): 8:50pm On Aug 30, 2020
taiwosamwell:
Nice article.
Pls which RAM does Transsion use oo?

We'll have to check the phone specs individually. the RAM module is found in the SoC.
Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by mboii(m): 8:50pm On Aug 30, 2020
Can you be doing this every day please

1 Like

Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by atheistandproud(m): 8:52pm On Aug 30, 2020
mboii:
Can you be doing this every day please

I have actually.

You can click on my moniker. There are tons of topics there.

2 Likes

Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by psucc(m): 8:53pm On Aug 30, 2020
Thanks op
Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by taiwosamwell(m): 8:53pm On Aug 30, 2020
atheistandproud:

We'll have to check the phone specs individually. the RAM module is found in the SoC.
Hmm.
Is it the famous Helio P22 grin

1 Like

Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by atheistandproud(m): 9:01pm On Aug 30, 2020
taiwosamwell:
Hmm. Is it the famous Helio P22 grin
don't forget MT6580 and Helio A22

1 Like

Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by atheistandproud(m): 9:02pm On Aug 30, 2020
psucc:
Thanks op
you're welcome boss
Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by Timmzycul11: 9:27pm On Aug 30, 2020
This is awesome bro

1 Like

Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by atheistandproud(m): 9:33pm On Aug 30, 2020
Timmzycul11:
This is awesome bro
You're welcome bro.
Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by BOLA625(m): 10:18pm On Aug 30, 2020
What about that of computer.
Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by isgombe: 10:22pm On Aug 30, 2020
Sorry op am going off point.
I want to ask pls between:

Lenovo k5 pro vs redmi 9c which is better in terms of speed and battery

Lenovo z6 lite vs redmi 9 both speed and battery

I ask because I don’t see people talk much about lenovo phones, and also i saw a reply here on NL that if u are not into tweaking its not good to buy xiamio mediatek device.
Thanks
Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by atheistandproud(m): 10:33pm On Aug 30, 2020
BOLA625:

PCs use DDR RAM

You should check the spec sheet (or settings) to know the particular speed of the RAM running with the processor.

1 Like

Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by atheistandproud(m): 10:40pm On Aug 30, 2020
isgombe:
Sorry op am going off point.
I want to ask pls between:

Lenovo k5 pro vs redmi 9c which is better in terms of speed and battery

Lenovo z6 lite vs redmi 9 both speed and battery

I ask because I don’t see people talk much about lenovo phones, and also i saw a reply here on NL that if u are not into tweaking its not good to buy xiamio mediatek device.
Thanks

Your question has plenty children.

I'll have to check for Lenovo specs as I don't know them offhand like I do Redmi phones.

As for that lie that you need tweaking. My last Tecno phone was Pouvoir 2 in 2018, I'm on my second Redmi device. I have never had to tweak nothing. Mediatek generally is hard for devs to make app ports for. Not just on Redmi phones. If you are an average user, Mediatek would do fine but if you are not and would like to explore stuff like GCam and the like, go for Snapdragon or higher Mediatek variants like the G90.
Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by isgombe: 10:44pm On Aug 30, 2020
atheistandproud:

Your question has plenty children.
All right I’ll be waiting.
Thanks
Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by Faithful4real(m): 11:40pm On Aug 30, 2020
atheistandproud:

PCs use DDR RAM

You should check the spec sheet (or settings) to know the particular speed of the RAM running with the processor.
Please can you write a topic about touch rate and refresh rate. Many people don't know about it since infinix added it to their new phone i think it will be a great idea
Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by atheistandproud(m): 11:47pm On Aug 30, 2020
Faithful4real:

Please can you write a topic about touch rate and refresh rate. Many people don't know about it since infinix added it to their new phone i think it will be a great idea

They should be under display na. Thanks anyway.

When I tackle displays, I'll dedicate a whole section to them.
Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by Faithful4real(m): 11:54pm On Aug 30, 2020
atheistandproud:

They should be under display na. Thanks anyway.

When I tackle displays, I'll dedicate a whole section to them.
Thanks bro wink
Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by Osasnidas(m): 1:48am On Aug 31, 2020
I dey always follow you...

If you write a textbook, i will definitely buy it...

3 Likes

Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by haiti007(m): 2:58am On Aug 31, 2020
Nice write-up, it's educating
Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by femi4: 6:06am On Aug 31, 2020
Comprehensive, you took me back to those days of 512mb ram

1 Like 1 Share

Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by Iscoalarcon: 6:15am On Aug 31, 2020
this will b a battle ground for Redmi and Transsion marketters lol
Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by DONFRANSKID(m): 6:40am On Aug 31, 2020
Nice one sir much respect to you

1 Like

Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by Samyd18: 7:23am On Aug 31, 2020
Lalastic lala
Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by Tunde835(m): 8:07am On Aug 31, 2020
taiwosamwell:
Nice article. Pls which RAM does Transsion use oo?
Most Tecnos use 1gb
Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by Tunde835(m): 8:23am On Aug 31, 2020
BOLA625:
Normally they come at 8gb but lower class come at 4 gb while High End Gaming Computers Come At Up To 32gb
Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by KrazyDave16(m): 8:46am On Aug 31, 2020
Ahh a good way to start a Monday.

I dunno if zRAM (seen as SWAP memory in some applications) counts. Been seeing this alot on Castro.
Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by taiwosamwell(m): 8:50am On Aug 31, 2020
atheistandproud:

don't forget MT6580 and Helio A22
Ohh and MT6737

1 Like

Re: RAM (random Access Memory), Types Of RAM, Sizes And Speeds Of RAM Explained by taiwosamwell(m): 9:02am On Aug 31, 2020
Tunde835:
Most Tecnos use 1gb
I didn't mean the RAM size.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help Make A Better Choice Between Samsung And Xiaomi. / I Need A Sonyericsson W995 Phone / Cant Hear Callers On My Bb Torch 9800 Except On Speaker Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.