Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,587 members, 7,816,444 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

Can I Split My Tithe? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can I Split My Tithe? (7263 Views)

Is It A Sin If I Spend My Tithe For This Month And Pay Back The Next Month? / I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need / Help Me Calculate My Tithe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Split My Tithe? by GMcompere: 10:17am On Feb 21, 2011
Dear Friends.

Don't get me wrong, am a regular tither and i believe in tithing. I attend a church in Lagos and am an active member of the church. Yesterday, i attended a missionary program and when i saw what some brothers and sisters are going through to get someone to hear about Jesus, my heart melted. I have a passion for mission and to support , these missionaries do not even get paid. Am thinking, why do churches in the cites waste money to invite people to church when these people they are trying to reach hear the word everyday, on TV, radio, in the bus, newsprint etc?? while some people are risking their lives to make sure some other people get to hear the name Jesus, and yet do not get financial support for their ventures

My question is this, is it right for me to split my tithe, pay a part to the missionary institution (church) and the rest to my local church?
Thanks
Re: Can I Split My Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 10:29am On Feb 21, 2011
@GMcompere
First of all as a christian you are not oblidged to tithe as the mordern doctrine of tithing was arrived at through the manipulation of biblical injunction to tithe agricultural produce given to the jews[not christians] in the old testament. If you study your bible well especially the new testament were christianity began you would realise that tithing was never a part of the christian religion etablished by christ through the apsotles. Rather christians are taught to give freely as they purpose in their heart[2 corintians 9:7]. So don't let anybody pressurize you into to tithing as a religious obligation or insist it must go to a local church. Even in the old testment were the jews were instructed to tithe, tithes was never money from income neither was it the exclusive preserve of the the "church" jews were encouraged to eat of their tithe and also give to the needy deut 14:22-29 sheds more light on the biblical meaning and purpose of tithes as opposed to the unscriptural version being preached and practised today.

2 Corinthians 9:7:
7 You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.

Deuteronomy 14:22-29:

22 “You must set aside a tithe of your crops—one-tenth of all the crops you harvest each year. 23 Bring this tithe to the designated place of worship—the place the Lord your God chooses for his name to be honored—and eat it there in his presence. This applies to your tithes of grain, new wine, olive oil, and the firstborn males of your flocks and herds. Doing this will teach you always to fear the Lord your God.

24 “Now when the Lord your God blesses you with a good harvest, the place of worship he chooses for his name to be honored might be too far for you to bring the tithe. 25 If so, you may sell the tithe portion of your crops and herds, put the money in a pouch, and go to the place the Lord your God has chosen. 26 When you arrive, you may use the money to buy any kind of food you want—cattle, sheep, goats, wine, or other alcoholic drink. Then feast there in the presence of the Lord your God and celebrate with your household. 27 And do not neglect the Levites in your town, for they will receive no allotment of land among you.

28 “At the end of every third year, bring the entire tithe of that year’s harvest and store it in the nearest town. 29 Give it to the Levites, who will receive no allotment of land among you, as well as to the foreigners living among you, the orphans, and the widows in your towns, so they can eat and be satisfied. Then the Lord your God will bless you in all your work.
Re: Can I Split My Tithe? by GMcompere: 11:04am On Feb 21, 2011
@KunleOShob

thanks for your submission. I disagree with your point that new testament never mentioned anything about tithing.

There are some who are inclined to argue about the tithe. They say it is not taught in the New Testament.

In Matt. 23:23 Jesus said, "Ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone."

"These ought ye to have done," refers to the first statement, "Ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummim" No one says the tithe is the most important. Judgment, mercy, and faith are greater than tithing; but Jesus endorsed both.

Jesus Mentioned Tithe Once

Some would ask the question, "Did Jesus mention it anywhere else?"

We must answer, "No." There are two records of this same statement, but this is the only time the Master ever mentioned directly or used the word tithe.

Does that weaken the argument? No. How many times should Jesus mention a thing to make it true? The only time He ever mentioned it, He said, "Ye ought to tithe," and that is just as binding as though He had mentioned it in every chapter of the Gospels.

Paul

The very tenor of Paul's message to the Jewish Christians in Heb. 7:1-10 is an endorsement of the tithe.

The statement, "Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come," suggests taking the tithe from our weekly income for the storehouse of God.

Back to my first post, what do you say about it?
Re: Can I Split My Tithe? by Zikkyy(m): 11:43am On Feb 21, 2011
GMcompere:

My question is this, is it right for me to split my tithe, pay a part to the missionary institution (church) and the rest to my local church?

No! You cannot split your tithe. There is nothing like half tithe. Tithe belongs to God and your local pastor is the ‘on-ground’ representative to receive your tithe. You cannot pay your tithe outside your local church please. Any attempt to split it will result in you missing out on the blessings attached to the tithe. You still have 90% of your earnings to play with. You can support the missionaries from this smiley
Re: Can I Split My Tithe? by GMcompere: 12:05pm On Feb 21, 2011
@Zikky, let me break this down for you, lets assume my tithe is 4kobo and i decided to pay 2k each to my church and Missions, now how does that break the tithe? Mind you the tithe is not about the money but the act that comes from the heart. Please don't also forget that God looks at our heart and not our acts.
Re: Can I Split My Tithe? by Zikkyy(m): 12:42pm On Feb 21, 2011
GMcompere:

@Zikky, let me break this down for you, lets assume my tithe is 4kobo and i decided to pay 2k each to my church and Missions, now how does that break the tithe? Mind you the tithe is not about the money but the act that comes from the heart. Please don't also forget that God looks at our heart and not our acts.

Tithe is a tenth and it belongs to God, and you can’t split it. Shikenna. The tithe must go to God’s house. 5% is no longer tithe; it has to be a tenth (10%). Why is it difficult for you to fund the missionaries from the remaining 90%? I don’t think your heart should not be involved here; tithe is a commandment you must adhere to. If it is not about the money (or percentages), why call it tithe? Are you sure you understand what you are talking about or maybe I should ask why you (your basis for) tithe?
Re: Can I Split My Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 1:38pm On Feb 21, 2011
^^^
Has someone hijacked zikky's user I.D
Re: Can I Split My Tithe? by GMcompere: 2:00pm On Feb 21, 2011
@Zikky of course I know that tithe is 10% and definitely i know about tithe. its 10% and who says I cant divide the 10% and pay into two places? scripture did not say where, its says, store house and not church. So your understanding of a store house is relative, from the name store house, its a place where the tithes can be accessed and distributed for the use of the ministry. Is mission work not a very vital ministry work?

Zikky, dont be legalistic here, try and think and see what am saying, remove all the doctrines and open your heart. Our God is need oriented being, and i dont think God is monitoring where you pay or dont pay, its about your heart obeying His commandment.

Talking about using the 90% for other things, what if the writer is already spending the other 90% judiciously and hey! what he decides to do with his 90% is entirely his business.
Re: Can I Split My Tithe? by Zikkyy(m): 2:40pm On Feb 21, 2011
KunleOshob:

^^^

grin grin

GMcompere:

@Zikky of course I know that tithe is 10% and definitely i know about tithe. its 10% and who says I cant divide the 10% and pay into two places? scripture did not say where, its says, store house and not church. So your understanding of a store house is relative, from the name store house, its a place where the tithes can be accessed and distributed for the use of the ministry. Is mission work not a very vital ministry work?

It was the temple’s storehouse which equates to church bank account today (since you are bringing cash). The church can choose to spend it how they want. They can use it for mission work if they want to, that’s no longer your business. If choose to split it and render half to God, you have not tithed, and likely to miss out on the associated blessings.

GMcompere:

Zikky, dont be legalistic here, try and think and see what am saying, remove all the doctrines and open your heart. Our God is need oriented being, and i dont think God is monitoring where you pay or dont pay, its about your heart obeying His commandment.

I am not being legalistic; there is a requirement for tithing. Are you saying that is not the reason you pay tithe? What did the commandment say? Did the commandment say you can pay tithe anywhere, anyhow? Are you obeying the commandment of tithing by splitting it?

GMcompere:

Talking about using the 90% for other things, what if the writer is already spending the other 90% judiciously and hey! what he decides to do with his 90% is entirely his business.

What about your regular church offerings? Am sure it’s not from the tithe. Same way you can support the missionaries and other charitable activities from the 90%. If you are not happy with this advice, then you probably have to re-evaluate your current ‘giving model’ if it’s not working for you. But I can tell you tithe is not negotiable, it must be ten percent to your local church (or temple storehouse as applicable) or it’s no longer a tithe. BTW what did your pastor tell you?
Re: Can I Split My Tithe? by GMcompere: 2:57pm On Feb 21, 2011
Zikky my brother

I agree with you that tithe is not negotiable.

But I do not agree that tithe cant be split or pay for missionary who are on the fields.
Re: Can I Split My Tithe? by Image123(m): 3:06pm On Feb 21, 2011
LOL @ zikky typing with tongue in cheek. Even the OP sef prime 'sunspet'.
@OP
I believe giving tithe in whatever form/kind and whichever testament/dispensation is not the same as giving alms. If you pity people and think they deserve better as God's servants, i think there're many ways to help them. The 'Spirit' of tithing is not a well i've paid my dues i'm free thing. It's a teaching, a discipline/discipling, a culture of giving and generosity. A believer belongs 100% to God. You become merely religious to think some percent is for God, and the rest for you. You're meant to be 'dead' by the way.
At the end of it all, there's no formula i'll give save a search for the leading of God's Spirit, for whatever is not of faith is sin.
Re: Can I Split My Tithe? by GMcompere: 3:22pm On Feb 21, 2011
@Image123

Exactly my point, let everyone be fully persuaded in his mind Roman 14:5, what ever is not done in faith to that person its a sin.
I dont think God will be so involved with a our kobo kobo, God does not need the money, its the people that needs it. God only wants our heart to be in tune with His will. Its not the amount or where it is paid, its about the commitment to a principle, tithing.

So where ever I pay my tithe do not matter, As i pay the tithe, I also pay offerings in so many ways.

Let everyman be fully persuaded
Re: Can I Split My Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 3:46pm On Feb 21, 2011
^^^

@poster
In matthew 23 Jesus was addressing pharisees who were under the law and were obligde to tithe. Christians are not under the law. The hebrew 7 you quoted from, if you read it upto verse 12 you would discovered that the law regarding tithe was changed becos we are no longer the levitical priesthood that demanded tithes. If you read further to verse 18 & 19, tithe law was further rubbished as it was described as weak, useless and unprofitable. Anyway you want to look at it tithing was never required of christians. 2 cor 9:7 answers your question, give as you pupose in your heart if I were you I would rather give all my tithe and more to the missionaries striving in the village than a church in town. They are the ones sacrificing their all for christ and need to be supported. Personally I don't give tithes and I resent the manipulative way it is preached in churches today. I preach free will and generous giving to those really in need as christ taught us to.
Re: Can I Split My Tithe? by free123: 3:58pm On Feb 21, 2011
zikky's id has been hijacked
Re: Can I Split My Tithe? by Image123(m): 5:57pm On Feb 21, 2011
OP
You're being hypocritical, make no mistake we're not making the same point at all. What i posted just brought you out of your shell. Stop misquoting scripture to say 'let every man be persuaded in his mind'. anyone can misquote that to any issue.
Re: Can I Split My Tithe? by Zikkyy(m): 6:26pm On Feb 21, 2011
Image123:

LOL @ zikky typing with tongue in cheek.

Which one you dey na angry

Image123:

Even the OP sef prime 'sunspet'.

abi? sad

GMcompere:

I dont think God will be so involved with a our kobo kobo, God does not need the money, its the people that needs it. God only wants our heart to be in tune with His will. Its not the amount or where it is paid,

I believe you will be having issues to settle with your pastor. He will not be happy with you.
Re: Can I Split My Tithe? by Zikkyy(m): 6:30pm On Feb 21, 2011
KunleOshob:

^^^

Nooo! I dey kampe grin

free123:

zikky's id has been hijacked

Don’t panic, I have not gone bonkers grin I just wanted to see what it like arguing from a Joagbaje perspective grin
Re: Can I Split My Tithe? by free123: 6:47pm On Feb 21, 2011
honestly zikky, u scared some of us
Re: Can I Split My Tithe? by Enigma(m): 6:51pm On Feb 21, 2011
;d ;d ;d
Re: Can I Split My Tithe? by Azibalua(f): 11:14pm On Feb 21, 2011
Be truthful zikky
It pays to be honest
Re: Can I Split My Tithe? by alexleo(m): 1:11pm On Feb 22, 2011
some churches advice members to pay their tithe where they worship. However i have not come across any biblical back up to this. For me. I pay my tithe in my church and i have a seperate arrangement where i save money from time to time just to support missionary work irrespective of which church is involved. You can also do it that way and i tell you that you wont regret doing it. We cant give enough to support God's work. The greatest obstacle to this is fear. Overcome the fear with faith by acting positively and you will testify that God is faithful.
Re: Can I Split My Tithe? by Zikkyy(m): 2:58pm On Feb 22, 2011
Azibalua:

Be truthful zikky
It pays to be honest

What are you trying to say here angry Are you saying zikkyy is not truthful Do you have evidence to support this wicked accusation angry
Re: Can I Split My Tithe? by otitokoro1: 11:31am On Feb 23, 2011

(1) (Reply)

Is It True Pope Benedict XVI Converted to Islam? See This Youtube Video / Man Claims He Captured A 'Witch' Flying At Night (Video) / Atheists!!! God Loves You.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.