Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,128 members, 7,811,184 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures (7317 Views)

He Decided To Teach Them A Lesson By Disturbing Them. Check The Pictures / Atheists Are More "Moral" Than Christians/muslims (the Evidence). Do You Accept? / The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by honeychild(f): 1:24am On Dec 22, 2012
I am sure most of us are used to pictures in 'scientific' journals and textbooks showing a long line of ape-like creatures that finally evolved into modern man (homo sapiens). Some of us have been introduced to some of our ape-like ancestors like australopithecus, homo rudolfensis, homo habilus, homo erectus etc. What scientists never tell us is the absolute paucity of real evidence for all these pictures. The truth is that the fossil record is so scanty, most of the so-called fossils on which these 'ancestors' are 'reconstructed' are so tiny it is comical. Take australopithecus for instance. With the exception of Lucy (who has now been shown to be a modern ape) “Nature/Science Annual” says: “Nine out of every 10 Australopithecine fossils is a tooth, and not always a very good tooth at that.' So that picture of the stooping ape-man the evolutionists call your ancestors was reconstructed entirely from teeth!!

Below is a fossil of Homo Habilus, touted as 'the ultimate transitional specie' i.e. the perfect link between australopithecus and home sapiens. Note that the areas in white are pieces of plaster which were fabricated to 'hold' the skull in place. In my opinion the plaster is about 50-60 percent of the so-called fossil.

And yet atheists say belief in evolution does not require faith! It requires a lot of faith indeed to go from a few scattered fragments of bone to a full blown ape-like humanoid!

Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by Agiliti(m): 2:37am On Dec 22, 2012
The scientific method has nothing to do with faith, that's why you have hypotheses, theories, and laws.
no scientist comes up with a hypothesis and expects others to believe it. he has to test it and verify it before he can call it a theory.

1 Like

Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by honeychild(f): 3:03am On Dec 22, 2012
Then please explain how scientists fashion ape-men complete with furry face and bodies
from a few teeth or jaw bones. Does that not indicate a high level of faith in the imagination of the artists who 'reconstruct' the picture?

1 Like

Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by Nobody: 3:47am On Dec 22, 2012
Ignorance. I am sure you went to a creationist website. You would have to assume that that is the only Homo habilis fossil ever found

Here is a nearly complete fossil of homo habilis; KNM ER 1813

[img]KNM ER 1813[/img]
Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by Nobody: 3:48am On Dec 22, 2012
Ignorance. I am sure you went to a creationist website. You would have to assume that that is the only Homo habilis fossil ever found

1 Like

Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by Agiliti(m): 4:27am On Dec 22, 2012
honeychild:
Then please explain how scientists fashion ape-men complete with furry face and bodies
from a few teeth or jaw bones. Does that not indicate a high level of faith in the imagination of the artists who 'reconstruct' the picture?
The same way they make sketches of criminals, or they age missing people. they have part of the information, then fill in the blank with educated guesses.
once again, you're confusing yourself with what faith is. faith is belief before proof, scientific process is proof before belief.

1 Like

Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by Lovethywilbedon: 4:29am On Dec 22, 2012
Logicboy03: Ignorance. I am sure you went to a creationist website. You would have to assume that that is the only Homo habilis fossil ever found

All these just to prove that your ancestors evolved from Apes. And after that what has prevented you from evolving into another animal. And since we have hundreds of species of apes, why do we have only one specie of human being(Homo sapien) with different races. Did all Apes (with hundred of species) evolve into your ancestors (with only one specie, Homo sapien). Also since your ancestors were Apes, why is it that we still have some apes playing right now in almost all the rain forest in the world that are in day time zone.
Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by Nobody: 5:16am On Dec 22, 2012
Lovethywilbedon: All these just to prove that your ancestors evolved from Apes. And after that what has prevented you from evolving into another animal. And since we have hundreds of species of apes, why do we have only one specie of human being(Homo sapien) with different races. Did all Apes (with hundred of species) evolve into your ancestors (with only one specie, Homo sapien). Also since your ancestors were Apes, why is it that we still have some apes playing right now in almost all the rain forest in the world that are in day time zone.

Speciation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speciation

Humans will give birth to more evolved humans
Monkeys will give birth to more evolved monkeys
Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by turnstoner(m): 9:11am On Dec 22, 2012
I can tell that the poster is a beginner student of the theory of evolution who is either too lazy or too scared to find out what the theory is about. In the first place, the fossil evidence she is talking about only came as a support for the original theory which was mainly about the origin of species and natural selection. You may like to consider other evidences:

1. Natural selection and the variation of species
2. Comparative embryology (the similarity of embryos among many different animals)
3. Fossil evidences not only of humans but of other dead living things.

If you want to know more about this subject, keep an open mind and read widely along these themes.
Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by honeychild(f): 9:41am On Dec 22, 2012
Logicboy03: Ignorance. I am sure you went to a creationist website.
at least I am not doing my 'research' on you tube! cheesy
Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by Seun(m): 10:25am On Dec 22, 2012
honeychild: Then please explain how scientists fashion ape-men complete with furry face and bodies
I agree with that. I do not understand why evolutionists are so confident about their guesses about what prehistoric animals looked like. However, that doesn't change the fact that evolution is the best theory about how things came to be. When someone comes up with a better theory, we'll adopt it. That's the difference between science and religion. Science is dynamic. We learn new things every day. We are open to change when new facts emerge. I think some scientists go to far when they try to portray speculative theories as hard facts.
Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by Lovethywilbedon: 10:26am On Dec 22, 2012
Logicboy03:

Speciation.

And how evoled can a monkey be that it stops being a monkey and starts being a human and what made you think you are more evolved than you grandfather or any of your ancestors born in the 12th Century if not the difference in the civilisation that both of you lived in.
Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by Freiburger(m): 10:29am On Dec 22, 2012
Seun:
. That's the difference between science and religion. Science is dynamic. We learn new things every day. We are open to change when new facts emerge. I think some scientists go to far when they try to portray speculative theories as hard facts.
And religion is?
Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by Seun(m): 10:35am On Dec 22, 2012
Freiburger: And religion is?
"God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind." Numbers 23:19. People believe that the bible is the literal word of God, even though the book is about 2,000 years old. You won't see scientists stubbornly clinging to 2,000 year old theories that are not supported by recent evidence. In science, a kid can challenge a professor's theories if his/her evidence is compelling.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by Nobody: 10:36am On Dec 22, 2012
Lovethywilbedon: And how evoled can a monkey be that it stops being a monkey and starts being a human and what made you think you are more evolved than you grandfather or any of your ancestors born in the 12th Century if not the difference in the civilisation that both of you lived in.

Why dont you go and educate yourself before you ask these silly questions? Hmm?

Speciation = new species

We (monkeys and humans) split from a common ancestor thousands of years ago. We have speciated apart.

Regarding your question about humans being more evolved now. We know for a fact that humans are bigger and now have less teeth than those in medieval times.
Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by Bella3(f): 10:37am On Dec 22, 2012
Seun:
I agree with that. I do not understand why evolutionists are so confident about their guesses about what prehistoric animals looked like. However, that doesn't change the fact that evolution is the best theory about how things came to be. When someone comes up with a better theory, we'll adopt it. That's the difference between science and religion. Science is dynamic. We learn new things every day. We are open to change when new facts emerge. I think some scientists go to far when they try to portray speculative theories as hard facts.
So you are not even sure?
Interesting...
Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by Nobody: 10:41am On Dec 22, 2012
Seun:

Well, they have fossils, DNA and current animals to work with. That is far more than a guess.

Evolution is not a speculative theory. Please
Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by Seun(m): 10:47am On Dec 22, 2012
Bélla3: So you are not even sure? Interesting.
I'm not sure about what human beings and animals looked like millions of years ago. Many scientists have tried to figure it out, by making educated guesses, but those guesses are not perfectly reliable. However, we have enough evidence to support the idea that life has evolved over a very long period of time. We have found bones under the ground that cannot be matched with any animals that live today, and we have discovered patterns in where the bones are located that suggest how the changes may have gradually happened over time. There is no other theory that explains the evidence that has been uncovered, so it makes sense to believe in evolution. However, science is not rigid. We do not accept evolution by faith; we accept it because it's the best explanation that fits the evidence. If someone comes with a better explanation tomorrow, it will be accepted by scientists. That's how science works. Science is not a collection of hard facts; it's a way of figuring things out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by honeychild(f): 11:05am On Dec 22, 2012
Seun:
I agree with that. I do not understand why evolutionists are so confident about their guesses about what prehistoric animals looked like. However, that doesn't change the fact that evolution is the best theory about how things came to be. When someone comes up with a better theory, we'll adopt .
and how is that different from me? I choose to put my faith in the Bible's creation account because quite frankly it makes the most sense to me....but I am labeled 'ignorant'. You choose to put your faith in the 'educated' guesses of fallible humans and you are 'enlightened' and 'logical'.
Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by Nobody: 11:09am On Dec 22, 2012
Seun:
. Science is not a collection of facts; it's a way of figuring things out.

When used in non-scientific context, the word “theory” implies that something is unproven or speculative. As used in science, however, a theory is an explanation or model based on observation, experimentation, and reasoning, especially one that has been tested and confirmed as a general principle helping to explain and predict natural phenomena.

Any scientific theory must be based on a careful and rational examination of the facts

http://www.livescience.com/21491-what-is-a-scientific-theory-definition-of-theory.html
Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by honeychild(f): 11:13am On Dec 22, 2012
Logicboy03:

Well, they have fossils, DNA and current animals to work with. That is far more than a guess.

Evolution is not a speculative theory. Please
read any paper on evolution or fossils. it is full of phrases like 'probably' 'most likely' 'highly unlikely'. That sounds like speculation to me grin
Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by Heatblast(m): 11:17am On Dec 22, 2012
Lovethywilbedon: All these just to prove that your ancestors evolved from Apes. And after that what has prevented you from evolving into another animal. And since we have hundreds of species of apes, why do we have only one specie of human being(Homo sapien) with different races. Did all Apes (with hundred of species) evolve into your ancestors (with only one specie, Homo sapien). Also since your ancestors were Apes, why is it that we still have some apes playing right now in almost all the rain forest in the world that are in day time zone.

Your questions are quite silly. its obvious you don't understand evolution(same questions I used to ask 4yrs ago). I like your curiosity tho.

My advice: google up biological evolution and stuffs like that and educate yourself(at your free time). Read with an open mind.

PS: do not read about evolution from christian/muslim websites... I repeat DO NOT DO SO... Majority of them would do anything to convince you othewise(including telling major lies)

Finally: to me the probablity of evolution being true is around 96%.. While that of the creation myth is around 2%.
Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by advocate666: 11:17am On Dec 22, 2012
honeychild:
and how is that different from me? I choose to put my faith in the Bible's creation account because quite frankly it makes the most sense to me....but I am labeled 'ignorant'. You choose to put your faith in the 'educated' guesses of fallible humans and you are 'enlightened' and 'logical'.

But the fact that fossils that date millions of years exist disproves your biblical creation story.
Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by Nobody: 11:19am On Dec 22, 2012
honeychild:
read any paper on evolution or fossils. it is full of phrases like 'probably' 'most likely' 'highly unlikely'. That sounds like speculation to me grin

Wrong. The theory of evolution and its mechanisms are quite clear and well grounded. You have to understand the difference between the theory itself and the study of the anatomy of the animals

The speculation comes in when determining the lifestyle of the prehistoric creatures. They make deductions or assumptions on the feeding habits of these animals based on their jawbones and their limbs (how they hunt).
Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by honeychild(f): 11:29am On Dec 22, 2012
Logicboy03:

Why dont you go and educate yourself before you ask these silly questions? Hmm?

Speciation = new species

We (monkeys and humans) split from a common ancestor thousands of years ago. We have speciated apart.
and you know this how? What evidence of your common ancestor have you found? Remember Ida? The highly publicized 'common ancestor' found in 2009? She turned out to be nothing of the sort.

face it Logicboy. You are a man of faith just like the rest of us gullible ignorant believers. But you put your faith in teeth, jaw bones, fragments of skulls and 'educated guesses' of anthropologists.

Are you even aware of how much pressure is on those scientists to 'discover' a 'missing link'? Millions of dollars in research funding is at stake if they do not 'guess' that a bone or tooth (that actually looks exactly like that of the chimpanzee we go to gawk at in the zoo) is actually your great great grandfather.

1 Like

Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by Nobody: 11:32am On Dec 22, 2012
Below is a fossil of Homo Habilus, touted as 'the ultimate transitional specie'...

www.nairaland.com/attachments/923873_homo_habilis_jpg9c92e38712c730c6fd6d4cc5fc22e823

This guy really looks like OBJ.

So OBJ is LIVING PROOF that evolution actually occurred grin grin grin.

4 Likes

Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by honeychild(f): 11:35am On Dec 22, 2012
advocate666:

But the fact that fossils that date millions of years exist disproves your biblical creation story.
The Bible tells us nothing about the age of the earth. It says 'in the beginning...'. No one knows how far away in history that beginning was. it could have been millions of years ago- that is, assuming the methods used to date the fossils are actually infallible.
Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by advocate666: 11:37am On Dec 22, 2012
honeychild:
The Bible tells us nothing about the age of the earth. It says 'in the beginning...'. No one knows how far away in history that beginning was. it could have been millions of years ago- that is, assuming the methods used to date the fossils are actually infallible.

So you are saying there is uncertainty in the bible?
Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by Nobody: 12:01pm On Dec 22, 2012
honeychild:
and you know this how? What evidence of your common ancestor have you found? Remember Ida? The highly publicized 'common ancestor' found in 2009? She turned out to be nothing of the sort.

We know this from the genetic similarites that we have with chimps. We could even make accurate predictions on certain similarities in certian defective genes between humans an chimps. Sceinitists predicted that a defective gene would be both in the same place and more similar between chimps and humans and other primates. Guess what? They got it based on the hypothesis of a closer common ancestor between chimps and humans.

Furthermore, you should look at the evidence for common descent
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_common_descent

honeychild:
face it Logicboy. You are a man of faith just like the rest of us gullible ignorant believers. But you put your faith in teeth, jaw bones, fragments of skulls and 'educated guesses' of anthropologists.

Man of faith in what? Did I not explain to you that the theory of evolution is different from the speculation of the lifestyles of some animals?

You are juts lashing out of ignorance

honeychild:
Are you even aware of how much pressure is on those scientists to 'discover' a 'missing link'? Millions of dollars in research funding is at stake if they do not 'guess' that a bone or tooth (that actually looks exactly like that of the chimpanzee we go to gawk at in the zoo) is actually your great great grandfather.

Missing link is an outdated term. It has nothing to do with modern biology. I have told you to stop reading creationist websites

1 Like

Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by honeychild(f): 12:36pm On Dec 22, 2012
advocate666:

So you are saying there is uncertainty in the bible?
No I am saying the Genesis account was not a Ph.D thesis on "how life began." It is a highly simplified summary of our origins. Highly simplified so as to be easily understood by humans of all backgrounds civilisations and I.Q. levels. It does not contain all the details.....if it did, an ignoramus like myself would probably not understand it cheesy..... but it does contain enough details that I am not reduced to making 'educated guesses' about my origins by looking at teeth and jaw bones.
Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by ijawkid(m): 12:36pm On Dec 22, 2012
Logicboy03:

Speciation.

Lol......when will that happen??.....maybe in the next 5 million years to come...right??.......grin....

Can you be specific about when that would happen mr evolutionist!??
Re: Evolution: The 'evidence' Behind The Pictures by turnstoner(m): 12:40pm On Dec 22, 2012
honeychild:

Put your faith in the educated guesses of fallible humans because they are enlightened and logical. Not only that,they also gave us quantum physics, test-tube babies, modern medicine,cell phones and what have you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Can A Christian Sister Or Brother Become A Model? / Top 10 Churches You Would Find At Every Corner In Nigeria / Why Do Nigerians Get Angry When You Tell Them You Do Not Believe In God?.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.