Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,826 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:36 PM

Battling With Long-term Effects Of COVID-19 - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Battling With Long-term Effects Of COVID-19 (143 Views)

NCDC Reacts To News That There Are 472 Confirmed Cases Of COVID-19 In Nigeria / Man Battling With His Life After Bragging And Drinking 6 Bottles Of 42% Alcohol / Teenage Philanthropist Loses Battle To Cancer After Battling It For 3 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Battling With Long-term Effects Of COVID-19 by YourhealthNG2(m): 2:32am On Sep 01, 2020
By Dr Ifeanyi J Okafor

August 30, 2020

Emiliano Pescarolo is 42-year-old professional diver. He contracted coronavirus in March 2020 and spent 17 days in hospital in the Italian port city of Genoa before being discharged on April 10, 2020.

He told the Cable News Network (CNN) that three months after discharge, he still experiences breathing difficulties.

“Once back home, even after weeks I couldn’t see any progress: if I took a small walk, it was like climbing Mount Everest. I was out of breath also just for talking. I was very worried,” he said.

Pescarolo said he had trouble concentrating and was still very concerned about his cognitive powers, “especially short-term memory, I don’t remember simple things.”

On April 20, 2020, Richard Quest, better known for hosting “Quest Means Business” program on CNN, revealed he had tested positive for COVID-19.

He made the announcement while on air, saying that he was “thankful and grateful” that he does not have “any of the horrific symptoms of the others,” except “a nasty cough.”

Quest recovered from the virus on May 5, 2020 after his COVID-19 test returned negative.

Two months after he supposedly ‘recovered’ from the virus, Quest wrote an article titled “I recovered from COVID-19 two months ago but I’m still discovering new areas of damage.”

The CNN presenter explained that the virus is like a “tornado” which causes damage as it “swirls through the body.

“The cough has come back, without warning and seemingly for no reason; so has the fatigue. True, neither are as debilitating as when I had the actual virus, but they are back,” he said.

“Like many others, I am now coming to realize that I am living and suffering from the long tail of COVID-19.”

The experiences of Emiliano Pescarolo and Richard Quest are examples of the very worrisome trend that has emerged in the unfolding coronavirus pandemic. After making a recovery from the initial coronavirus illness, some individuals still experience long term health problems from the virus. This group of people, who now call themselves COVID-19 “long-haulers”or “long-termers,” continue to have symptoms for weeks and months after first falling ill to the virus.

Read on...
https://www.yourhealthng.com.ng/2020/08/30/battling-with-long-term-effects-of-covid-19/

(1) (Reply)

Why Does Long-time Sitting Cause Epididymitis Pain? / Having Problems With Your Beard? Here Is A Solution For You. / Can Someone Have COVID More Than Once? Find Out Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.