Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,543 members, 7,819,928 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:58 AM

Greenfingers Wildlife Initiative. Conserving Wildlife - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Greenfingers Wildlife Initiative. Conserving Wildlife (442 Views)

HSLC Initiative: NGO Extends Love To The Aged, Fetes Over 200 People / It’s Much More Likely The Coronavirus Came From Wildlife, Not A Lab / Promoting The Culture Of Akwa Ibom By ACB Initiative (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Greenfingers Wildlife Initiative. Conserving Wildlife by Funkamazing(f): 5:25pm On Sep 01, 2020
I was unsure where to post this but with our culture of killing and eating any type of animal in the forest,I settled for the culture section.

There is a crisis on ground concerning some of our wildlife and some have already began to record very low numbers which means they will go extinct very soon.

This NGO (Greenfingers Wildlife Initiative) has launched a campaign to educate Nigerians on 7 of these animals and will like you to join the campaign. Sorry Nairalanders, snakes are not in this batch.

Follow us on all our social media pages

Mod, please can this go to FP?

Re: Greenfingers Wildlife Initiative. Conserving Wildlife by Funkamazing(f): 5:53pm On Sep 03, 2020
So someone asks, why are you doing this campaign, I say Nigerians are not aware of their wildlife. We took to the streets to find out how true. This is a snippet, many more will come. Education is the best way to ensure our wildlife get the required protection and avoid exploitation.
Support the Greenfingers Wildlife Campaign.....The Big Seven!! Please share
#nature #wildlife #animals #greenfingerswi #thebig7wildlifecampaign #big7 #wildlifecampaign #supportis
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CEraJBDFm7m/?igshid=1ggz5nv29rfx
Re: Greenfingers Wildlife Initiative. Conserving Wildlife by Funkamazing(f): 5:00pm On Sep 05, 2020
Look through the pictures posted earlier and tell me the name of the animals.

No general name like "monkey" . Tell us the type of monkey. Note: number 1 and 2 have been shown. Guess the remaining 5

If you are correct, donate to the cause.

If you are wrong, donate to the cause

Go Fund Me page: https://gf.me/u/yvgy6x

Re: Greenfingers Wildlife Initiative. Conserving Wildlife by Funkamazing(f): 12:48pm On Sep 07, 2020
Conservation or Culture: The Fight for Nigeria’s Future:

Meet the Nigerians who are challenging tradition: from plant-based chefs to Green Fingers Wildlife Initiative who rescue wildlife from the hands of poachers, meat markets, hunters, and fishermen, allowing them to thrive in safety.

Lagos—Standing at a live animal market in Lagos, Nigeria, Chinedu Mogbo was faced with a difficult decision. Buy a pangolin to save that animal’s life or watch someone else buy the pangolin and know that the animal would meet a gruesome end. He would face criticism either way. There was no good decision, only one that was less bad.

So he bought the pangolin.

“People tell us that, yes, paying for it, you’re supporting the trade,” said Mogdo. “And I said I know these things. But I’ve stood there before many times, and I stare sadly with my camera recording. When I do nothing, what happens? In the short space of 10 minutes, sometimes, they kill it there.”

Mogdo is the director of the Green Fingers Wildlife Initiative, a sustainability and conservation organization located in Lagos. Green Fingers rescues wildlife from the hands of poachers, meat markets, hunters, and fishermen, and brings these animals to a safe space where they can thrive.

That safe space is the Green Fingers wildlife zoological and botanical gardens, a home for dozens of species faced with the threat of extinction due to habitat destruction and poaching. Here, these animals don’t just live in peace, they thrive. The garden is open to children, animal lovers, and researchers tasked with learning as much valuable information as they can in order to save these animals from disappearing forever.

Green Fingers also uses its resources to educate the public on the need for wildlife conservation for environmental reasons and human health. As Mogdo observed, with the narrow separation between the human species and other animals, more diseases are now jumping from animals to people. But education is much easier said than done because many Nigerians lack the foundation for understanding these issues.

Words like ‘critically endangered’ and ‘threatened’ are not ones that the average Nigerian knows. And that’s not being hyperbolic, they literally don’t understand what they mean.

Continue reading from: https://sentientmedia.org/conservation-or-culture-the-fight-for-nigerias-future/

Please lalastica, move this to front page.

Let there be funding for this worthy cause.

Big 7 Go Fund Me page: https://gf.me/u/yvgy6x

(1) (Reply)

Iru Community Accuse Gbolahan Of Becoming Despotic, Turning Iru Into Old Ajah / "Oba Oniru Must Vacate The Oniru Throne For Us," Ogunyemi Ruling House Insists / Celebration Across Villages A 2020 Ogwashi-uku Carnival To Hold On Christmas Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.