Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,993 members, 7,866,730 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 01:38 AM

International Criminal Court Condemns US Sanctions On Officials - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / International Criminal Court Condemns US Sanctions On Officials (198 Views)

Russia retaliates, bans Obama, 499 US Citizens over US sanctions / International Criminal Court Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Putin for war crimes / Taiwan Visit: China Halts Climate, Military Ties With US; Sanctions Pelosi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

International Criminal Court Condemns US Sanctions On Officials by Biodun556(m): 1:33am On Sep 03, 2020
US sanctions target International Criminal Court prosecutor Fatou Bensouda and a top aide over Afghanistan probe.

Public Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda is investigating whether war crimes were committed in Afghanistan by the Taliban, Afghan military and US forces

Public Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda is investigating whether war crimes were committed in Afghanistan by the Taliban, Afghan military and US forces

The International Criminal Court (ICC) has condemned "unprecedented" sanctions imposed by the United States on prosecutor Fatou Bensouda and one of her top aides in retaliation for a probe into alleged war crimes in Afghanistan.

The Hague-based tribunal said the sanctions announced by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo against Bensouda and another senior official, Phakiso Mochochoko, were "serious attacks" against the rule of law.

Pompeo announced the moves on Wednesday, saying that "the ICC continues to target Americans".

The ICC said in a statement the new measures "are another attempt to interfere with the Court's judicial and prosecutorial independence and crucial work to address grave crimes of concern to the international community".

The sanctions include a freeze on assets held in the US or subject to US law and target Bensouda and the court's head of jurisdiction, Mochochoko.

Pompeo also said individuals and entities that continue to materially support Bensouda and Mochochoko would risk exposure to sanctions as well.

"We will not tolerate its illegitimate attempts to subject Americans to its jurisdiction," Pompeo said.

Why is the US targeting the International Criminal Court? | Start Here
The war crimes court said it "continues to stand firmly by its personnel and its mission of fighting impunity for the world's most serious crimes".

The ICC will continue its investigation into possible war crimes by the United States and its allies in Afghanistan.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/09/sanctions-top-international-criminal-court-officials-200902173945202.html
Re: International Criminal Court Condemns US Sanctions On Officials by Bluntguy: 3:01am On Sep 03, 2020
The US under Trump has been dishing out sanctions as if it's going out of fashion. The worst is that the more it dishes out these sanctions, the more it becomes isolated by the international community.

Wetin concern me sef, make I just face my beloved country Naija.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

The Death Of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Pushed Me To Join The Satanic Temple / What You Need To Know Right Now About 2020 USA Election / My Statement Was Clear, I Believe I Had #coronavirus In Nov 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.