Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,598 members, 7,816,486 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

EDO 2020: Oba Of Benin Peace Meeting With Political Gladiators (full Video) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EDO 2020: Oba Of Benin Peace Meeting With Political Gladiators (full Video) (246 Views)

Buhari: All Ministers With Political Ambitions Must Resign Before May16 / How Afghanistan Fell After Obasanjo Attended Peace Meeting In Kabul / All The Political Gladiators In Lagos Closing Ranks In Bourdillon (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

EDO 2020: Oba Of Benin Peace Meeting With Political Gladiators (full Video) by engineerboat(m): 10:58am On Sep 03, 2020
EDO 2020: Oba of Benin Peace meeting with Political Gladiators (Full video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TC5o-aB1PA&t=3447s

highlights of the meeting.

- Warns kingmakers against making political statements
- Urges candidates to emulate Buhari, Jonathan
- No cause for alarm, Edo CP assures monarch

Oba of Benin, Omo N’Oba N’Edo Uku Akpolokpolo, Oba Ewuare II, yesterday rebuked politicians in the state, particularly the governorship candidates of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Governor Godwin Obaseki, and the All Progressives Congress (APC), Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu, for the pre-election violence and belligerent electioneering utterances, threatening to tear the state apart ahead of the September 19 election.

However, the state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Johnson Kokumo, has assured the monarch and the people of adequate security, saying there’s no cause for alarm.

“The utterances, statements and activities that I hear [are] most immature,” the revered monarch told the two leading candidates and their promoters, including former governors John Odigie-Oyegun and Adams Oshiomhole, in subdued anger during a peace meeting in his palace in Benin.

The Benin monarch at the meeting initiated by him said there were talks about the candidates of the two major parties arming thugs. He warned them to desist from the act and expressed worry about what the guns would be used for after the election.

Oba Ewuare II, who said he was worried about the violence across the state over the September 19 poll, stated that politicians must learn to conduct themselves in a peaceful manner, noting that election was not a do-or-die affair.

He admonished the parties and politicians to note that they have only Edo State to call their own and must do everything possible to protect it from disintegration.

He said not only has the state been in the news for the wrong reasons, but that the governorship election has divided the people.
The first-class monarch said: “I have noted that Benin’s politics has been in the news for quite sometimes for all the wrong reasons. I have been having sleepless nights for some days. We are all from Edo State. We are no strangers.

“Why do you want lives to be lost by arming thugs, who will later hide the guns? Enough is enough. Let the September 19 governorship election in Edo State be peaceful.

“Be mature and be proud of Edo State. Do not make Edo State a laughing stock.”

He added: “I am very sad about what is happening in Edo State. This is the worst scenario. Let us eschew violence and give peace a chance in Edo State.

“I cannot have you fighting. I want to plead with the politicians and the political actors to sheathe their swords, because the international community is watching.”

He said the monarchy had offered traditional prayers to avert violence before, during and after the September 19 governorship election in Edo State and pleaded with Edo politicians to control the youths.

“Don’t kill yourselves over an office; don’t kill yourselves over votes; let us have a working relationship that President Muhammadu Buhari had with Goodluck Jonathan; it is not a do-or-die affair,” he said, adding: “The two candidates must toe the line of peace just like Jonathan did when he willingly announced his acceptance of defeat in 2015.”

(1) (Reply)

What Buhari Promised Nigerans In 2015 / A'ibom Vehicle Manufacturing/assembling Plant: The Gov Emmanuel's Signet / Jonathan, Moghalu, Others To Speak At The Osasu Show Symposium 2020 (Pix, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.