Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,581 members, 7,837,190 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:30 PM

Alain Cocq: Facebook Blocks Incurably Ill Man From Livestreaming Death - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Alain Cocq: Facebook Blocks Incurably Ill Man From Livestreaming Death (354 Views)

Mexican Footballer, Rodrigo Alain Cuevas Has Leg Amputated After Electric Shock / See Photo Of Male Disguised As A Woman That Follows Amorous Man From A Nightclub / Man From Edo Accused Of Impregnating A Goat, Forced To Have Sex With The Goat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alain Cocq: Facebook Blocks Incurably Ill Man From Livestreaming Death by Basoenewokoma(m): 4:48pm On Sep 05, 2020
Facebook says it will block a Frenchman suffering from an incurable condition from livestreaming his own death.

Alain Cocq, 57, planned to broadcast his final days after starting to refuse food, drink and medicine on Saturday.

President Emmanuel Macron had earlier denied his request for euthanasia.

Mr Cocq wants the law changed in France to allow terminally ill people to die as they wish. Some groups, including the Catholic Church, oppose euthanasia on moral grounds.

What's the difference between assisted suicide and euthanasia?
"The road to deliverance begins and believe me, I am happy," Mr Cocq posted on Facebook early on Saturday morning from his bed at home in Dijon, after announcing he had "finished his last meal".

"I know the days ahead are going to be difficult but I have made my decision and I am calm," he added.

Mr Cocq suffers from a degenerative disease, which causes the walls of his arteries to stick together.

But Facebook blocked the plan to livestream his death, stating that it did not allow portrayals of suicide.

"Although we respect [Mr Cocq's] decision to want to draw attention to this complex question, following expert advice we have taken measures to prevent the live broadcast on Alain's account," a Facebook spokesman told the AFP news agency.

ADVERTISEMENT
"Our rules do not allow us to show suicide attempts."

Image copyright REUTERS
Image caption Mr Cocq posts from his bed, where he is confined
Mr Cocq said Facebook was blocking his broadcasts until 8 September. He called upon his supporters to lobby the social media platform to change its stance.

"It is up to you now," he said.

In July, Mr Cocq penned a letter to Mr Macron, asking the president to allow him to die "with dignity," describing his "extremely violent suffering".

Mr Macron said he was "moved" by the letter, but could not grant the request as he was "not situated above the law".

Euthanasia is a controversial topic in France, with many supporting a right to die with dignity, while others - particularly religious conservatives - have opposed calls for its decriminalisation.
Re: Alain Cocq: Facebook Blocks Incurably Ill Man From Livestreaming Death by illicit(m): 5:15pm On Sep 05, 2020
People should have the right to die
Re: Alain Cocq: Facebook Blocks Incurably Ill Man From Livestreaming Death by GreyLaw(m): 6:00pm On Sep 05, 2020
illicit:
People should have the right to die

Yeah... and also have a right to kill others. It is the same mentality. Good luck with such.
Re: Alain Cocq: Facebook Blocks Incurably Ill Man From Livestreaming Death by illicit(m): 6:03pm On Sep 05, 2020
GreyLaw:

Yeah... and also have a right to kill others. It is the same mentality. Good luck with such.

No it's not the same thing.

Individual rights end where it infringes on that of others.

(Suicide) Killing oneself is not the same thing as killing of another (murder).

Can masturbation be likened to rape

1 Like

Re: Alain Cocq: Facebook Blocks Incurably Ill Man From Livestreaming Death by longetivity(m): 7:30pm On Sep 05, 2020
God will help him

1 Like

Re: Alain Cocq: Facebook Blocks Incurably Ill Man From Livestreaming Death by Mayng01(m): 7:57am On Sep 06, 2020
Strange things are happening

(1) (Reply)

Chadwick Boseman's Family Shares How He Battled Cancer For Four Years / Man Beaten And Forced To Eat Raw Chicken After He Was Caught Stealing / Endsars: Policeman Aids Thug To Destroy A Car Caught In CCTV - VIDEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.